XP file permissions --> windows 2000

DrunkenMaster

I recently installed Win2k since I was having problems with XP.

I have some documents for work/school which are on an NTFS partition formatted under XP. While I can read most of the files in the directory there are some which I am quite sure are not corrupt but I am unable to access them. I think its some sort of file permission problem. I had tried to own all the troublesome files by the win2k admin account (with full permissions) and I still can't open the documents. they show a file size in explorer but when I open them there is no info in the directory. Can anyone think of a way to "reown" - for lack of a better word - these files?

This is really irritating me and I really need access to those files.

Thanks for the help.

DrunkenMaster

Daysleeper

What is the exact error you are getting when you try to read them ?

DrunkenMaster

Thing is, I'm not getting any errors. The file comes up with a nothing in it when its' loaded up. I know the INFORMATION is still there in the file I just can't READ it.

I tried to first own all the files and the directory with the Admin account under win2k and it won't work. The only other way I could think of getting around this is to transfer all the files to a FAT32 partition since no attributes exists for security permissions or owning the files. Does this sound like it would work?

BTW, Thanks for replying. Hopefully, I can get to the bottom of this soon.......

DrunkenMaster

KR0NiCBaKeD420

make sure that yer logged in to the administrator's account in xp.. and i think if u go to tha properties of tha file/folder/drive that u wanna get accexx to.. and go to the security tab and make sure that it says "administrator" in the 'groups or user names' list .. if so.. make sure that everything is marked 'allow' and click ok... if not click on 'advanced' and go to tha 'owner' tab and in tha 'change owner to' list.. select 'Administrator' and click tha 'replace owner....' box and click ok... and that should do it... as far as i can think of right now..

Jon

Sounds like a classic EFS messup to me!

Jon

Ok so I didnt read the post completely.

If it was EFS messing up, you'd see a whole bunch of jargon, not blank stuff.

I'll ask my ActiveDirectory/2k Admin type colleuge (erm workmate) when he gets in. (Windows2000 deployment team)

Jon

DrunkenMaster

Thanks for replying every one its really appreciated.

I just want to make this clearer though since there does seem to be some confusion. I'm now using windows 2000 and not XP.

I was using XP RC2 for sometime and it was under this OS that the securiy permissions were set and NTFS was partitioned.

For some reason I'm getting errors with one of the setup dll files when installing RC2 (which was working perfectly well before).

I lost the names of the sys admin from the XP installation but this username still appears on other files on a different drive on the HD. The files still appear intact. I'm thinking of formatting a Fat32 partition on the Harddrive and transferring all the files which don't work on to that drive in the hopes that the security permissions get wiped from the files and they will once again be useable.

Since I am writing this the day after the tragedy in NY and Washington, I would like to send my condolences and prayers to all in the affected areas and to anyone who had friends or relatives in the area. I live in Canada and I could never imagine this happening anywhere and hopefully something of this magnitude will never happen again.

DrunkenMaster

freeza

maybe since xp used ntfs 5.1 and windows 2000 doesnt it's having difficulty