Win XP Pro

This isn't the first time and I'm sure not the last that many of my icons and programs just dissapear. One second they are there, the next *poof* gone.

I.E. Internet Explorer Icon dissapears from my desktop, The wordpad program deletes, paint icon in accessories dissapears, all the games that come with XP (solitare, spider solitare, etc) delete and some others.

Anyone know why this is happening and how to stop it!!?

My Virus scanner hasn't found any viruses but SpyHunter found spyware: SearchExplorerBar (Registry file).

I deleted the spyware, but I oddly enough, don't think that's the problem.

It's a home PC and I am the one who uses it mostly. And besides, the files delete themselves while I'm using the computer.

:laugh: Files can't delete themselves. Some program on your computer is deleting them. Check your running processes in Task Manager (Y)

Do all of them dissapear? Maybe when explorer is refreshing its turning off "Show Desktop Items"

Some are even deleting because I cant find them with the find files and folders.

Now I don't have these progs and its ticking me off. :angry: It's happened right after a reformat too. :angry: :cry:

Now I don't have these progs and its ticking me off. :angry: It's happened right after a reformat too. :angry: :cry:

Did you install a firewall and all updates before going online?

Did you and or remove any programs latly? if so, did you possible happen to accidently click remove Windows componants? cous that will get rid of paint, and the microsoft games and such.

Only thing I removed today was YIM cause it messes with my comp. But I didn't have Yahoo on my computer any other time this has happened.

This is a new computer, and it's only ever happened with this computer. Do yall think something is wrong with the computer itself? :huh: :dontgetit:

Did you build this computer yourself or you bought it some where?

Why the heck would that matter, an install of windows isn't going to change if he does it or the manufacturer does it, and he had the files there b4 and the resently disapeered its not like you are comparing a companies software to somthing he wrote himself, whether or not he made it himself isn't going to change that. It is somthing he did while running the system itself that coused the problem.

;) Um... she.

And I didn't run any tweaking >programs< but I did a Reformat to Relax kind of thing.... but that was a few days ago.

But to answer your question Hardice, it was a custom computer but I, personally didn't put it together, the company did.

I had a similar problem to what he describes. The culprit turned out to be bad sectors on the hard drive. To make matters worse the bad sectors contained the Windows folder data. My windows was extremely erratic. It was an IBM Deskstar hard drive. Many posts here have stated the unreliability of this drive. So..... he could have a hardware problem. Not all problems are virus or spyware related.