Win XP Pro

Taura: In my opinion it would be best for you to download SP1, AutoPatcher and the latest version of your Anti-Virus software to a CD to install after you format your machine. Before you start to re-install Windows, un-plug your cable modem from your computer. This will insure no problems with viruses when you turn on your freshly formatted machine.

After you have all the updates installed, and your anti-virus installed, turn on the ICF for your network connection, then plug in your cable modem. I am sorry I didn't respond sooner, but I don't normally stay up till 5 AM :D

sounds like the desktop cleanup wizard is hosed, disable it.

start,controlpanel, display,desktop tab, customize desktop button.

did somebody run a tweaker utill to make those 60 days happen faster ( tweakUI XPPowerToys has that option i think )

sounds like the desktop cleanup wizard is hosed, disable it.

start,controlpanel, display,desktop tab, customize desktop button.

did somebody run a tweaker utill to make those 60 days happen faster ( tweakUI XPPowerToys has that option i think )

I don't think this is the case. She has also stating that it is not just the icons, but also her program files for those icons.

Well, as I said in one of those posts I made last night.... I can't seem to burn anything to CD. (Silly me I forgot that my CD burning software doesn't like this computer....)

But a quick update on what else I've noticed was deleted before I wipe it all.

All of the cursor skins that come with Windows XP have also gone *poof* (aside from that ugly default one....*

The built in burning software is not working? All you need to do is right click on the file you want to burn, and then send to, and then click on your CD drive. A window in your taskbar should open up to guide you the rest of the way.

My computer is worse now than it was before. :cry:

OK, so I've read this thread and must say what some others have said; find someone who knows what they are doing to help you. Not on AIM or MSN, but live in your home.

A friend of mine said something about possibly having 'Auto Tweak' on or something. :confused: Anyways... is there a way to uninstall that? Thanks. ;)

I don't even know where to start....

How long have you had cable?

You should buy a router with a nat (firewall) which will block anyone trying to connect to your computer in most cases.

It'll probably cost about fifty dollars, but I recommend it.

My computer is worse now than it was before.

how is it worse? does it not have any of the drivers installed? Is it not booting?

How long have you had cable?
Since the beggining of this school year. I need it for school though so can't be changed. :)
how is it worse? does it not have any of the drivers installed? Is it not booting?

I've pretty much fixed a lot of it except I'm pretty sure that these files will delete again, thus why asking previous question.

A friend of mine said something about possibly having 'Auto Tweak' on or something. :confused: Anyways... is there a way to uninstall that? Thanks. 

I have no clue what auto tweak is.....

But my comment about the router still stands. A lot of routers work right out of the box on their default settings.

...and I hope you don't mean auto update :unsure:

Is everything up to date now?

the problem shouldn't just reappear unless the problem was someone in your house accessing your computer while you were away and deleting files...do you have a little brother?

Edited by bsarmir

im too lazy to read this, has he updated windows yet? here are some steps if you havnt

UPDATE WINDOWS DAMNIT!!!

Install Zone Alarm www.zonelabs.com

install Norton Antivirus www.symantec.com

install Spybot search and destroy www.imtoolazytolookforthewebsite.com

and scan the friggin hard drives with NAV and Spybot! geez man, keep the PC up to date :rolleyes:

im too lazy to read this, has he updated windows yet? here are some steps if you havnt

UPDATE WINDOWS DAMNIT!!!

Install Zone Alarm www.zonelabs.com

install Norton Antivirus www.symantec.com

install Spybot search and destroy www.imtoolazytolookforthewebsite.com

and scan the friggin hard drives with NAV and Spybot! geez man, keep the PC up to date :rolleyes:

She.

Yes, I updated.

And um.... bsarmir It's happened more than once. No I don't have a little brother, and if I did I doubt he would delete the same exact files each time.