What is a good Linux distro to use?

I always take a copy of Knoppix with me to School. When I want to actually use a computer there I just boot from the CD to get around the system administrator's (Who happens to be a complete retard) sloppy security settings and configuration. Recently I installed AIM (AOL Instant Messenger) on one of the computers there, getting around his retarded settings which arent supposed to allow software to be either downloaded or installed. He had the smart idea to take the HDD out of the computer. I just booted off Knoppix and I was on my way :happy:

lol, nice

In My (soon-to-be-flamed) Opinion...

Knoppix is a great demo disk to show what Linux can do. (with a Linux person explaining things)

Knoppix is a great rescue disk for Windows PCs.

Knoppix is NOT good to try to see if Linux is "for you", without serious knowledge and consideration of the fact that Knoppix is a LiveCD that will be a bit slow, and cannot be customized (except by reconfiguring and mastering a new CD on your own).

So, as long as you don't hand them out saying "Here. Try Linux!", and allow people to think Linux is slow, or inflexible, or overly complex with too many choices (ok, ok... It *does* have a lot of choices), it is a good distro.

That said, I always keep a copy of it on me. :yes: Does that make me a geek? :unsure:

You do realize that Knoppix has a HD install script?

You don't need to keep the CD in the drive or remaster the CD to make changes.

you wont learn anything by clicking on next button for the mandrake/suse install. get gentoo, read the install guide and learn something :)

it takes a while to setup and install but its worth it.. good luck!

You do realize that Knoppix has a HD install script?

You don't need to keep the CD in the drive or remaster the CD to make changes.

A Hard Drive install is a different matter.

The point that was made that the Knoppix CD could be used by a newbie so it wouldn't install to the hard drive (and possibly mess up his HD config).

I agree that Debian/Knoppix is a great distro to run (from a hard drive), but using it to learn Linux from the CD isn't very good. It boots up with the default config every time, and it runs slowly.

It makes a great "wow!" for Windows users (the fact that it installs runs in a matter of minutes, and runs solely off of CD and RAM is amazing).

But, for someone who has already decided that they want to run Linux, just pick a distro and install it. (Knoppix, Xandros, Fedora, Slack, Gentoo or whatever) Try a few and pick one you like. :yes:

A Hard Drive install is a different matter.

The point that was made that the Knoppix CD could be used by a newbie so it wouldn't install to the hard drive (and possibly mess up his HD config).

I agree that Debian/Knoppix is a great distro to run (from a hard drive), but using it to learn Linux from the CD isn't very good. It boots up with the default config every time, and it runs slowly.

It makes a great "wow!" for Windows users (the fact that it installs runs in a matter of minutes, and runs solely off of CD and RAM is amazing).

But, for someone who has already decided that they want to run Linux, just pick a distro and install it. (Knoppix, Xandros, Fedora, Slack, Gentoo or whatever) Try a few and pick one you like. :yes:

You boot from the CD. See if it figures out your video, sound and network adapters and such. You take a quick look then you decide if you want to install it or not.

Otherwise you download a non-live CD and paritition your hard drive only to find out that distro xxx doesn't support you network card and you can't access the internet.

I'm not saying that you should write your dissertation using a LiveCD system. Use it as a risk-free preview...

I see we agree.

And my first post you commented on did specify that the Knoppix LiveCD would seem slow to the casual user (who wasn't told the cool stuff it was doing to even RUN an OS on a PC without the hard drive).

My point was just that once someone determines that they want to run Linux, there is no need to try a LiveCD. Start the install process rolling :yes:

[EDIT: We agree. It's late. Everything good. Sleep good.] :moon:

I see we agree.

And my first post you commented on did specify that the Knoppix LiveCD would seem slow to the casual user (who wasn't told the cool stuff it was doing to even RUN an OS on a PC without the hard drive).

My point was just that once someone determines that they want to run Linux, there is no need to try a LiveCD. Start the install process rolling :yes:

But users who have decided to use Linux still need to choose a distribution. Knoppix allows you to preview its hardware auto-configuration by booting the LiveCD and investigating what works. It would be more difficult to find out if Red Hat, for instance, supported your system. You'd need to go to the trouble of partitioning your HD and installing it.

want to test hardware? Slackware Live CD

Want challenge? slackware.com/debian/gentoo (they all have strong points)

- Slackware's challenge is just the fact that you have to use command-line more than the others (because it is the most unix-like. not just because they say it)

- Debian is very flexible and apt is a fantastic tool. Install once and nevermore! just upgrade packages/distro as you go on. Works very well

- Gentoo. emerge rocks but don't become too dependant (same story for apt)

your choice

Want challenge? slackware.com/debian/gentoo (they all have strong points)

- Debian is very flexible and apt is a fantastic tool. Install once and nevermore! just upgrade packages/distro as you go on. Works very well

Knoppix gives you Debian without the challenge. Once you use the HD install script then Knoppix IS Debian.

Yet constantly people recommend Slackware and Gentoo to people who classify themselves as a noobs. What is with some Linux people? Sensitivity is clearly not on the top of their skills chart.

A new user should start with something like Knoppix. You can boot it if a CD and preview it with your hardware before you decide to install it or not.

what does my post have to do with what you posted?

Knoppix gives you Debian without the challenge.  Once you use the HD install script then Knoppix IS Debian.

Knoppix was, is and always will be debian-based. You get no support from debian users and that's something you might need in the future. the Debian-installer is much more flexible than installing knoppix.

You want fast solution with apt? knoppix. You want flexibility n full support from most users? debian.

what does my post have to do with what you posted?

It served as a launching point into my diatribe.

You posted something about there being a plethora of these threads and I went on to comment that each one has the same defect.

I was agreeing with, and then adding to, your post.

It's not like I was slagging you or anything.

Perhaps you just don't want your name connected in any way with my comments. If that's it then sorry.

It served as a launching point into my diatribe.

You posted something about there being a plethora of these threads and I went on to comment that each one has the same defect.

I was agreeing with, and then adding to, your post.

It's not like I was slagging you or anything.

Perhaps you just don't want your name connected in any way with my comments. If that's it then sorry.

its not that i just didn't know what you meant by it is all

If you want a great distro and a bit of a challenge go with Slackware. It makes you learn Linux (there are no nice GUI setup program like in Mandrake and SuSE). But if you want something easy to run go with Mandrake.

eh someone else stated that slackware install is no different from the blue boot screen from a fresh windows install.. which is ironically true now that i think about it;p

For a LiveCD, I would recommend MandrakeMove. It has everything from MDK Linux 9.2 which I would use, and it boots from the CD. It is almost identical to MandrakeLinux 9.2 in many features, and its fairly fast. Plus, it detects most hardware in existance

Knoppix gives you Debian without the challenge. Once you use the HD install script then Knoppix IS Debian.

but you only learn debian during the challange!

and when you install a fresh debian you can choose everything you want to use...

Knoppix is/will never be Debian. Read the FAQ go into their channel, they'll say it.

It's all very well and good saying a noob should choose debian or slackware and learn it all the hard way, but this is rarely practical, and certainly not preferable. What happens when they want to send an email with their new linux machine. They'll want to use a tool such as KMail. For that, they need KDE. For that to be any use they need XFree. Well what if the initial configuration of X failed, or indeed never started? Do you expect them, with little - no knowledge of linux, to be able to configure all that just to send a bleeding email. I don't think so. They'll go slinking back to windows and Outlook Express or whatever.

Now for some people, being thrown in at the deep end suits them. But most people live in the real world. Believe it or not, many people are not as obsessed with the inner workings of their OS as you or I are. They simply want to use technology to make their life easier, and certainly don't want to embark on a degree in computer science just to write a letter.

This is why I always recommend Mandrake to new users. It has consistently proved itself to be easy and straighforward to people with beginner - intermediate experience with Windows/Mac OS whilst still adhering to all the unix/linux conventions.

When you learn to drive a car, you don't cruise onto the motorway on the first lesson. Because when you get to a bend or want to come off a slip road, you can't handle the car properly as you haven't done it before. It's a crap analogy but it's true.

Anyway, I think Mandrake is the best for noobs, and I also know some more "advanced" users who use it quite happily.

Debian's good if you're that way inclined (better than slackware IMHO, but that's another flame :happy: ).

I also quite like Fedora (Im using it now) and can see it getting better, but if I had Red Hat 9, I would probably just get the updates for now and let Fedora mature a bit first.

BTW I thought Knoppix was Debian based. Correct me if I'm wrong :huh:

BTW2 Libranet is a good distro if you want to use Debian but don't want to use the prehistoric installer. It also configured X properly first time for me (GeForce 4 MX 420, Mitsubishi Diamond Pro 750 SB) which Woody didn't. It also doesn't dumb down debian at all, it literally just adds a better install wizard.

Well that's me done :cool:

I agree with you, Ancormax.

That is why I recommend the Mandrakes, SuSEs and RH/Fedoras to most noobs. :yes:

However, as I am a father of four young boys, and have a full-time job (other than raising the kids! lol), I don't have a lot of time to spend trying to debug an X problem, or why my app isn't installing correctly, or has a configuration issue.

Some people here on Neowin do have the extra time (perhaps single, perhaps teenagers, perhaps even IT professionals where this is related work). For them, Debian Slack, etc. are fine distros to give a spin.

But for the rest of the world, the best way is a starter distro, to see how much you can handle. As a former RHL user, and now a Fedora-ite, I can say that this level suits me. I can compile and install apps from a tarball, and I can figure out simple dependency issues with RPMs. I work with vi, though not proficient, I can open, modify and save changes to config files in the event of a text prompt. And, I get better with every challenge I face and conquor. Someday, I may very well find that I have outgrown Fedora, and may want to sample other distros. But not today.

IF you install all the packages with slackware you can do almost anything in it that you can do with mandrake/redhat/fedora/suse/debian/should I continue. The strength with slackware is that you can easily configure it to run very very good on your machine. I have only used mandrake besides slackware, but slackware is much easier to configure the little details that make it run better. There are things in other distros that make life easier for a newbie, but by using shortcuts the distros make things take more memory and make it slower. However you can modify any distro to get to run optimally, but slackware will usually be easier to do so. I have heard gentoo is just as easy, but I don't have the patience to go through a mutliple day install...especially when it takes slackware 30 minutes to install. then if you know what you are doing, it would take a couple of hours to get it running optimally: installing a new kernel specifically compiled to your machine, cleaning up the packages that you don't need. The hardest part with slackware is that somethings won't work automatically with it compared to other distros like mandrake. However almost all of the settings can be configured to work.

Install wizards are great, but don't rely on them. they can get you started, but once it is installed, you should make further adjustments like recompiling your kernel and getting rid of things you don't need. either off the hard drive, or just out of the config scripts.

I just started out with Linux (finally got one distro to work on my laptop). I installed newest Mandrake and it is sooo sweet, works just fine and its pretty and it is easy to learn. :)

I've only really messed with Mandrake 9.2 and 10 Community. If you don't have any odd ball hardware, Mandrake does the trick really nicely. It will install a lot faster then Windows XP does, and has a lot of the same features. I especially like what they did with Dial-up networking in Mandrake 10 as it has the same feel as Windows XP does.

All i have to compare with is Windows XP and this is what i've come up with:

Given that your hardware works in both Windows XP and Mandrake then it really just comes down to what software you want to run. They both provide full GUI support, and you can explorer in the shell if you need to, but it won't be neccessary for the most part. Mandrake Linux provides a lot more bang for your install then Windows XP does as far as packaged software is concerned. And Mandrake Linux can be setup to be any sort of server you may need. Windows XP has some server capabilities that microsoft has limited to promote their server versions of windows.

So yeah, i say Mandrake is good for me because I'm a newbie to Linux who is very familiar with Windows and really like having options and configuration parameters available from a GUI.