• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

getting 2.6.4-rc2-love1

kongit    0

A while ago I saw and heard much good things about the love sources and the love kernels, so I decided to upgrade my kernel to love. However it isn't the easiest thing to do without a little knowledge. That knowledge being where to get the love patches. So here is my how to on how to upgrade your kernal to 2.6.4-love. this knowledge can be applied to other love pathes as well. Make sure you are applying them to their correct vanilla sources.

Now for Linux-2.6.4-rc2-love1:

Obtain the 2.6.3 kernel source. You could have patched your source to get up to 2.6.3, but I suggest you download the vanilla 2.6.3 source. you can get it here: http://www.kernel.org/

Obtain the 2.6.4-rc2-love2 patch. you can find it here: http://www.linuxmall.us/~lovepatch/love-sources/

Save both tarballs to your home directory /home/yourusername/. Don't decompress the kernel yet. I would suggest that you decompress the patch to your home directory. Then turn off x or switch to a different console. Login as root there. now you want to do the following:

cd /home/usernamewhereyousavedkernel/

mv linux-2.6.3.tar.bz2 /usr/src

cd /usr/src

tar -xvjpf linux-2.6.3.tar.bz2

it should extract the kernel to a directory named linux-2.6.3.

now you have your vanilla 2.6.3 source setup correctly for the patch to work. Now if you haven't decompressed the patch go back to your home directory and do so or go into x and do so.

Move the patch to your linux source

mv /home/usernamewherepatchis/2.6.4_rc2-love1.patch /usr/src/linux-2.6.3

now to apply the patch:

cd /usr/src/linux-2.6.3

patch -p1 < 2.6.4_rc2-love1.patch

Watch as it patches to make sure no errors pop-up

now you can configure and compile the kernel. From here on it is like anyother kernel. If you don't know how to do this there are many, many places that tell you how.

note: with make clean and make mrproper I got a strange error (I always run this even with a clean kernel). It was something about something not defined, and it defaulted to 1. I have noticed no problems and think that this error doesn't matter.

Edited by kongit

kemical    0

a side note for bypassing the decompressing patch part :)

from /usr/src/linux type this command as root

bzcat /pathtokernelpatch/love-patch.tar.bz2 | -p1 patch

this will apply the patch to the kernel, just cutting back on some extra steps, otherwise nice how-to kongit