Automatically Updating Links etc.

Question

My Problem:

1. You make a simple webpage with three links

2. You make 2 other pages, and link to them on the first page

3. When you click on one of the links, it goes to the page, but the other links aren't there. In other words, you can only go back home by presssing back. The only way to fix it, is to add all the links again on the new page. Then on the third page! How do websites with dozens of pages do it? Surely every new page, they don't start from scratch?

The way I've done it in the past, is to use frames. Then, one set of links are enough.

Hope you all understand what I mean :ermm:

Cheers...

9 answers to this question

whatta hell, man i must say i didn't understand everything you wrote, maybe you should try to rephrase that? or am i just dumb...no, i'm not...

well, i suppose you want to update the links automatically everytime you make a new page, update the old page or rename it...well, then you should use the site management feature that comes with the most html-progs

or what do you mean? the links aren't working? check the tags and the " href='...

well i hope that helps you, if not, message back...:D

Can you make a page use a template as the generally layout, and refer to it every time you view the page (in other words, if you add a link on the right of the page in the template, and when you create a new page that uses the template, the newly added link is there without having to type it in). Hopefully, that?s a little clearer :)

I'm no expert but I think Frontpage takes care of this kinda thing automatically if you use one of the templates, else you can use shared boarders, so that each page can be set so it shares a particular boarder or not.

Originally posted by King Mustard  

Can you make a page use a template as the generally layout, and refer to it every time you view the page (in other words, if you add a link on the right of the page in the template, and when you create a new page that uses the template, the newly added link is there without having to type it in). Hopefully, that?s a little cleare:):) b>

if you wrote the link in the template then it should be there and it should work

let's say you have template.htm. on this template site you put a link to index.htm and save the template. every time you open the template the link will be there, so than choose save as...name it eg. page1.htm.now the new page, page1.htm, made on behalf of the template template.htm (or whatever the extensions of the templates in your html prog would be named) will have the link to index.htm.

if that's not what you're looking for, try to explain it using examples, as i did, name the pages and the links you want to add

by the way, what html editing program are you using...i reffered on my last post to the site management features the most programs have built in:D

We used either templates (works just fine) or ssi.

With ssi you can add a bit of html (menu) inside a page by a single command.

now i got the point....

yes, server side includes (ssi) is the way, but make sure your provider gives you that...since they are very processor-time hungry, they are not so loved by the providers:D :D

Also, php/asp/cfm etc all implement his by either (or both) dynamic link listings (stored in database) or includes.

There are other ways too like shared libraries and templates within Software like Dreamweaver/GoLive/Frontpage etc.