Windows 98SE vs. Windows NT 4.0 Workstation

Actually, I'm doing a large research project and am having trouble finding comparisons and reviews for these two operating systems. Can anyone help me out and provide links or sources to this type of information? I'd really appreciated it :)

Basically, all I need is details of each operating system, how each of them run, comparisons between the two, the pros and cons of each, ect...

Thanks in advance :)

Edited by GTX5_Crusader

To simply put, it's a research prodject I was instructed to do.

I've already begun research and have been working on it for the past 2 hours... but haven't gotten very far.

To simply put, it's a research prodject I was instructed to do.

I've already begun research and have been working on it for the past 2 hours... but haven't gotten very far.

btw, it's spelt project not prodject. :(

www.winsupersite.com is a good resource for Windows information and reviews.

I'm really enjoying the http:\\www.winsupersite.com. So far, so good.

The word "Prodject" was fixed :)

Got my first page... of 10... done...

NT4 doesn't crash but does not support DOS apps. NT4 is better though

NT4 doesn't crash. LOL! HA HA AHA AHAHAHHAHAHAHHA

whoooo

that was funny.

I used both OSes, so here is the scoop. This is comparing Win98SE with WinNT4 This is all my opinion by the way...

Stability:

First, both crash less than Win95 but more than Win2k. I'd say their stability ranks in about the same level.

Security:

WinNT was made for networks, so WinNT is more secure in restricting various user privalages. On the other hand, there are no more security updates for WinNT, but there are for Win98SE.

DOS:

WinNT has a lot more DOS commands and stuff. Just look in the help file, there are all sorts of commands Win98SE does not have. On the other hand, Win98SE keeps its compadability with older DOS programs.

User interface:

Quite similar.

How they run:

WinNT has a lot more services running and a completely different kernel from Win98SE.

Software compadability:

Win98SE wins on this. The fact they are still supported combined with DOS legacy programs gives wider range of drivers and software for that OS.

Common use:

Win98SE for home, WinNT for workplace/school.

That is all I can think up off the top of my head. Hope that helps.

NT4 is more stable (depending on drivers), and supports NTFS (but not FAT32)

Win98SE supports the latest DirectX games, more hardware, more software, FAT32. It's less stable, and doesnt work with NTFS.

Unless you really have a reason to use NT4, Win98SE wins out for most users.

Yes, it is possible to get NTFS to work with Windows 98SE with read-only capabilities though.

NTFS for Windows 98 is a NTFS file system driver for Windows 95 and Windows 98. Once installed, any NTFS drives present on your system will be fully accessible as native Windows 98 volumes. This version provides read-only capabilities. NTFS for Windows 98

Once installed, any NTFS drives present on your system will be fully accessible as native Windows 98 volumes.

I love how all the NTFS drivers for DOS/win9x just ignore the security... :rolleyes:

I'll put it in simplistic terms:

NT > sh1t > win9x (Y)

What a joke, 9X had no security at all. NT4 was a great OS.

You obviously do not know the benefits of an NT OS otherhwise you would choose NT4.

NT4 was far more stable as well having protected memory space and preemtive multitasking.

I administered NT for about 5 years it was a great OS until 2000 came along.

NT is way more robust than 98SE. Don't see the BSOD on an NT4 system very often. At least when I used it at school. But yer 98SE is definatly the best for game support. Can I ask, is this project for school?