Word replacement for mac

Some of my friend's documents he created on PC can't be open'd properly in Word X (I think because he works with some other languages including some asian character thing). Is there any other word processing like app he could give a try?

To replace word: openoffice, or maybe kword.

(google for the os x versions)

For IRC I use ircII, the source compiles just fine. Other people recommend BitchX, irssi, and xchat.

I believe there is a port of xchat to os x called 'xchat aqua' - that would be a good choice if you don't like command line clients.

I tried OpenOffice, but it was a bit crazy to install. I'm waiting until they've gotten it to use native OS X widgets before I give it a try again. I haven't tried kOffice yet, but it sounds interesting and I'll probably give it a try soon.

As for IRC, I use XChat Aqua :)

I tried OpenOffice, but it was a bit crazy to install. I'm waiting until they've gotten it to use native OS X widgets before I give it a try again. I haven't tried kOffice yet, but it sounds interesting and I'll probably give it a try soon.

As for IRC, I use XChat Aqua :)

I couldn't get koffice to work :(

The apps just load and then crash out straight away.

QT Designer works though :)

I made koffice work. It wasn't pretty but you could use it. I'm sticking with word for now: it's the best of breed and once you spend some time fixing the stupid default menus, normal.dot, and defining some useful styles it's actually really good.

I guess that doesn't help you with your character encoding issues - have you tried calling microsoft and using some tech support?

Also note that Microsoft will be releasing a new version of Office for Mac soon that may be more compatible with his PC documents. It's going to be nearly impossible to find a program that renders Word documents better than Word.