Taking requests for features on Neowin

We are taking feature requests for the main site. some things already planned/being looked into are as follows:

Improving Comments page

1) Related links box on comments page

2) Drop down "Jump to" news article on comments page Done

3) Search field (box) on comments page Done

4) Ability to "reply" to a comment made

5) Send news to a friend Done

Improving Articles

1) Drop down "Jump to" any page within the artcle

2) Only registered users can rate articles

3) Comment on this article (standard link)

Improving main web site

1) Recent Articles (5 last articles)

2) Submit form to submit news posts via webpage (or email)

3) Files/Download section with Top 25 downloads & Staff admin

4) Weblinks with Top 25 referers & Staff admin

If you can think of anymore please clearly state what you mean and if possible a demo of the script/mod. PHP coders are more than welcome to help with any mods.

hey

how about you just make the front page faster loading? like at school is really slooooow.. www.anandtech.com loads much faster.. you should look into that.. thats all for now

laterz ;)

I'd like the top 10 active threads used more around the site. They're a great way to keep up with the current discussions and I use them extensively on the homepage.

Also stats are cool. Check out this hack for a good one.

Keep links to a users private msg's at the bottom of each forum page instead of only at the top level. It's a pain being inside a thread and having to go back to the board just to check...

...and is it possible for a better search on posts within the last hour? I see new posts since last visit, new posts by day...but what about in between? If I visit every 15 min then...;)

A Chat Room ?

How ABout a Board for lessons? all type of lessons given by the users themselves .. like Photoshop lessons, Programming tips, etc !

How about a lite-theme? Like something with little or no graphics? It's a bitch to load this forum here at work on the old machine I'm stuck behind and it would really help out.

Also, a Karma voting system would be cool. People can vote up or vote down posts and this creates a user "rating" that's determined by the people, not something dumb like postcount (which seems to be a problem :p ). Perhaps (as a security precaution) we should only allow approved members to karma vote, so that we don't just have J. R. RandomLusar running around voting down every post he sees.... I'm sure you'd need a hack for this, but it might be something interesting for me to code :D (man, i love having vBulletin now :D :D :D )

How bout an area to BASH spammers and Popup Ad runners!

Where people who are REALLY sick of those 2 things can get together and come up with ways to deal with it, or the companies doing it. :bandit:

With Neowin's newly gained news/article/guide/whatever posting staff, it would be cool to see some well written (and well researched) guides posted on the site. Such as an overclocking guide with directions, examples, etc, etc, for different processors, ranging from the Athlon XP to old Pentium II's.

Other interesting articles and guides could range from "turning your old 486 into a linux firewall/router" to a series of articles about creating themes.

I'm sure there's dozens of other possibilities out there. Personally, I think information such as this could be a great benefit to neowin.

Just so you know, we read and take note of all your ideas. There are some good ones in here you may see in the near future :)

Originally posted by mtgriffith

We've been talking about a Neowin IE toolbar. It sounds like a good idea.

https://www.neowin.net/bboard/showthread.ph...&threadid=15461

thats a really great idea. i wonder who came up with it :D

A Chat Room ?

How ABout a Board for lessons? all type of lessons given by the users themselves .. like Photoshop lessons, Programming tips, etc !

I suggested to a friend who runs an irc server and he e-mailed NeoBond about it, so we'll see what happens...

But I THINK, that NeoWin should have maybe a Guide/Tutorial/Review page. I know we have articles, but i think a Guide/Tutorial/Review section would do really well :)

as i have previously posted, i think there needs to be a *polls* forum, and also, i think the Recent forum posts needs to have a longer list, or a seperate page for that, since i look at that alot, neowin rules:D ladr