Windows 98 Live on CD

I was wondering if anyone has done what these 2 guides say to do. It basically makes Windows 98 like knoppix, and able to boot from CD. Its not impossible, just takes an extreme amount of time.

There are 2 guides that I know of that tell how to do this.

http://www.lachiesadicristo.it/w98cd/page15.htm

http://www.heise.de/ct/english/99/11/206/

I would like to get this to work, and I have attempted it w/o success several times... has anyone does this? or does anyone know how to get it to work?

Why?

For the benefits. Think about it, You're writing a paper, and for some unknown reason your computer crashes, becomes unbootable. well, You've got windows 98 live on CD, so you're able to run your windows apps, and you're then able to copy all your documents/ programs to CD. There are a million reasons you should want 98 bootable off CD. what are all the reasons people want a bootable linux distro? Well, you can't run windows apps on knoppix, so why not a windows 98 live CD?

thats quite interesting, ill give it a shot this weekend

Finally someone who cares.....

I've tried it a couple of times, and I'm tempted to just try it in VMWare a couple of times. Thats my one work of advice, because when I tried it I fried my 98 install about a dozen times. It'd be easier to do it in VMWare so if and when you fry the install all you have to do is take 30 seconds to copy the drive file.

Do it with Windows 2000 or XP and I'll be interested... 9x is not worth my time.

If you actually took the time to read the first few paragraphs of the c't article it says that nt, 2K, and XP cannot currently be booted off of CD. but you still have to admit, 9X, or even ME would be nice to have on CD.

this would be a neat feat, i would like to know if is possible too, i really dont care if is 98, 95, or ME as long as is possible and doable then thats what i really care about. IF anyone can do it, that would be really great...

Winternals ERD Commander is XP on a live CD. (technically it's Windows XP PE) It's a diagnostic tool for repairing Windows and transferring data off the hard drive over a network. I use it at my work, it's great. But it's $150 USD.

For your information you can create a Windows XP / Server 2003 Live CD with this program. :D

Screenshot

It makes a great rescue CD...

Solaris

So, besides the piracy problems, driver and hardware problems, why doesn't someone create a Live Windows XP CD ( or any version for that matter ) and just release it for dl?

Better YET, why doesn't someone make a small how to 1.2.3. guide.... that would be even more helpful.

Well I tried to get explorer.exe to work on Bart's PE builder, but sadly it was no go. I don't think it would take too much work - and you have to overcome the limitatons of WinPE - in that it will automatically reboot after 24 hours - but it doesn't seem an infeasable thing to do - and piracy needn't be an issue so long as it was only a guide. Why no one has tried it is a mystery indeed.

GJ

Wow that looks cool, still no explorer.exe - but pretty damn close. Now all he needs to do is allow the user to extract the registry and the /documents and settings folder to a USB pen - and you have a full blown live Windows XP CD.

GJ

Why don't you just download it? It's easy if you know where to look.

This software is about as illegal as it's possible to get though, so don't go asking on an open forum about how to obtain it.

In any case it's not as simple as a 1, 2 ,3 process - whatever that is - although Bart's PE builder makes it much easier. But there is a 600+ MB ISO waiting out there for you to get - and there are regular updates too - so if I were you I would save myself the trouble and just download it.

GJ

Why don't you just download it? It's easy if you know where to look.

This software is about as illegal as it's possible to get though, so don't go asking on an open forum about how to obtain it.

In any case it's not as simple as a 1, 2 ,3 process - whatever that is - although Bart's PE builder makes it much easier. But there is a 600+ MB ISO waiting out there for you to get - and there are regular updates too - so if I were you I would save myself the trouble and just download it.

GJ

oooooo nice ISO..... **drools**... good ISO...... so I take it the title I need is on the link above?

EDIT: ooo found da title.......

No sorry, it's even more illegal than that. This ISO contains lots of 'Warez' - essentially stolen software - so it would be illegal to print any direct link to it here on Neowin or elsewhere. You will not find the ISO on this guys site either. Sorry. It just doesn't work that way.

GJ

No sorry, it's even more illegal than that. This ISO contains lots of 'Warez' - essentially stolen software - so it would be illegal to print any direct link to it here on Neowin or elsewhere. You will not find the ISO on this guys site either. Sorry. It just doesn't work that way.

GJ

is this guy serious?