Area 51

he infamous Nevada military base known as Area 51 is one of the most secretive places on Earth. For years, the government wouldn't even admit the base existed. Eyewitness News has aired many stories about the base over the years but we've never had much of a look inside -- until now. A private satellite company has developed something that allows people to fly in and take a look.

Anyone who's ever tested the outer perimeter of Area 51 knows about the security cameras and hidden sensors, about the cammo patrols and ominous signs and armed choppers. Now, however, it's possible to fly over all those security measures, to slip silently over the mountains, head for the dry lake, and take a birds eye view of everything inside Area 51.

This software isn't a toy. It's not a video game. It's the result of high-resolution satellite photos taken by the commercial satellite IKONOS , which was launched into space in 1999 and was hired a year later to photograph this once supposedly non-existent facility.

The satellite images reveal, in clear detail, that the Groom Lake base is very real -- and for Area 51 aficionados -- it gets better. The satellite images have been transformed into 3-dimensional software that allows a computer user to literally soar over the base, hover over any building, as if traveling in, say, a flying saucer. So, is the pentagon ticked off about this?

Scource: http://www.klas-tv.com/Global/story.asp?S=...42&nav=168XL2BA

Area51-072503-450.jpg

Area51-4M072503-450.jpg

LasVegasStrip-450.jpg

n these are close ups n quite big.. soo i'll just link to them

http://www.lasvegasnow.com/area51/Area51-072503-LG.jpg

http://www.lasvegasnow.com/area51/Area51-4M072503-LG.jpg

http://www.lasvegasnow.com/area51/LasVegasStrip-LG.jpg

Area 51 pics have been know for a long time: hint: discovery channel :laugh:

what's with the las vegas strip? it doesn't belong to area51 or does it :s

Dude, this is like really extensive construction. I've done my fair share of reading about Groom Lake, Area 51, and Skunk Works, but the amount of buildings (some of them are def esthetic) make it seem like they were ventually going to open this place to the public, or it was meant to impress someone. Fountains, hedges (in nice shape, too), nice roads. This wasn't just a research facility. Who did the grounds? These guys weren't all military.

Dude, this is like really extensive construction. I've done my fair share of reading about Groom Lake, Area 51, and Skunk Works, but the amount of buildings (some of them are def esthetic) make it seem like they were ventually going to open this place to the public, or it was meant to impress someone. Fountains, hedges (in nice shape, too), nice roads. This wasn't just a research facility. Who did the grounds? These guys weren't all military.

aliens :ninja:

:alien:

And there was me thinking that the members got into the Neowin staff area :laugh:

Radish?

Just so people realize, the third picture is not of Area 51, but of the Las Vegas strip. It is an area meant for people to see. I think it's just there to prove that the pictures aren't fabricated, or to give you something to compare the other pictures to.

nice find... now if only they'd offer tours :shafty:

btw.. nice new sig and avatar Radish!

shafty? LOL.. wtf.. :blink: :laugh: :D that's a good one... :shifty:

Just so people realize, the third picture is not of Area 51, but of the Las Vegas strip. It is an area meant for people to see. I think it's just there to prove that the pictures aren't fabricated, or to give you something to compare the other pictures to.

The Las Vegas strip is for the airlines that take employees to Area 51.

Radish?

There is no way a satellite can take pictures that clear. NO way. Otherwise, they'd have been able to find those Weapons of Mass Destruction in IraQ. The pictures they always howed on TV are from far and most times you could not tell what the heck you are looking at.

Nice pix still.

I was gonna say, the last large picture can't be it. What I wouldn't give to be invisible for a day, I'd go right into A51 and explore it all :alien:

There is no way a satellite can take pictures that clear. NO way. Otherwise, they'd have been able to find those Weapons of Mass Destruction in IraQ. The pictures they always howed on TV are from far and most times you could not tell what the heck you are looking at.

Nice pix still.

Please tell me youre kidding. You actually think that that kind of tech is not available?.. Yeesh. They have satellites that can read a newspaper from orbit. Do your homework next time.

I can't remember what it is called, but I thought the government was starting to wind down Area 51 in favour of a new base they have built... (I read this a couple of years ago)

This is high quality pictures...thank you.. now I must return to the hanger to finish the autopsy on.... DOH!! :pinch: :shifty: The little grey guy is running for the hills... :alien:

Anyways..thanks for the pics..awsome stuff chap

Nice pix still.

What do you think took the pictures then? Aliens?

Nice pix still.

OMFG, there is a program you can download from Nvidia, i could see my car in the driveway!

there are statites that can see a penny in some ones hand in new york, the US openly admits this

its not a big secret.

OMFG, there is a program you can download from Nvidia, i could see my car in the driveway!

there are statites that can see a penny in some ones hand in new york, the US openly admits this

its not a big secret.

do you have the link for that nvidia thing? :ninja: :alien:

haha yeah i thought someone had got a pic of our staff forum (not much to see mind) heh :)

Must get arial view of Staff Fourm Area .. Code Named Area 52 - The Neowin Head Base .. Top Secret Files must be .. in the pink safe behind the pictures of the MOD's... Muhahaha soooo evil...