"Network Cable Unplugged"

Question

DuGottiXL

I'm trying to set-up a simple p2p (peer-to-peer) network. I want to connect my Win98se Computer To My Newer WinXP computer. My XP Computer gives me an Error that my "Network Cable Unplugged" When It isn't. I have a EtherFast Linksys NIC in my XP computer. When I turn that computer on no lights on the NIC comes on at all, I don't know If any are suppose to. On my win98se computer the green light for the NIC blinks when I turn on that computer. Everthing with the 98se computer seem to be ready to be p2p networked. the XP computer Is the one giving my problems with wanting to be p2p networked. Does anyone Know how to fix this problem?

6 answers to this question

PM5K

I have had some NIC's with lights that didn't work in Windows XP, it doesn't seem to bother normal operation.

If you made the crossover cable (or whatever you are using) double check it and make sure the connections are tight, also make sure the nics are firmly seated in the pci slot, make sure the RJ45 jacks are clean, spray them with some air.

You might also want to try some other drivers.

Roger H.

did you say you tried the nic in your 98SE PC? cuz it sounds like you have a dead NIC or bad (dirty or just broken) PCI slot. Try another slot and try the NIC in the other PC then post back here so we know...

DuGottiXL

In my 98se computer I have a old ass cabletron NIC. XP installed it drivers for the linksys NIC on it's own without the disk that came with the NIC. On the linksys site It says to let XP do that.

Vlad

I'm not positive about this - but aren't you supposed to use a cross over cable to connect two computers directly like that? If you have a cat5 cross over cable, give it a try.

pagal

I had the same problem and I ended up changing the NIC...