Problem With Counter Strike

Every time I try to connect to a game server on the internet, it connects fine, downloads maps/sounds if needed, then at the very end gives the message:

Could not connect to game server Reason: Could not complete connection attempt.

Ugh, one of the lamest messages I ever heard. It couldn't connect because it was unable to complete connecting. :crazy: I already tried reinstalling the game. What else can I try other than setting off a C-4 explosive at Valve HQ?

Thanks for the link. Here is an update on the problem: it only does not work on Counter Strike. If I use Half-Life, rickoshe, DOD or some other mod, then it does work. How annoying.

Any other suggestions?

Edited by PseudoRandomDragon

If you right click on your Steam icon on the taskbar you can select 'Monitor' which will show you which components are currently updating themselves. The reason I mention it is because with CZ coming out soon Steam by default is precaching it and it does reference the CS files as a building block. So if either of these components are still updating it could cause a similar problem. As always though, the steampowered forums is the best place to ask regarding this.

Problem solved: When I uninstalled the game again, I noticed it left the installation folder and a bunch of files. I deleted it then installed again and it worked.

Thanks.