• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Radeon 9600 Gets VPU Error?

br3tt0    0

Howdy.

My Radeon 9600 with the original Radeon 9600 drivers sometimes just "crashes".

I could be using my computer, just like now, and all of a sudden the screen goes black (like the monitor is turned off) and it takes like 15 seconds thenit turns on and give me a VPU error. It asks me if I wanna tell ATi about the error (like in WinXP). It then wants me to restart.

Is this a common problem? Like did they release a bad bunch of drivers?

Has anyone else had this error? And has gone around it successfully?

Any help would be appreciated. And please no comments like "Buy a 9800 Pro" or "Get a new card" ;)

Thankies.

ev0|    2

get a 9800 pro bro that'll never happen !

Just kidding ! Actually, I've seen that happen with Radeons before. It happened to my friend when his card was overheating. Then it just plain died on him. I dunno, better start saving..

bangbang023    30

Yeah your card is definitely crashing, meaning it stops responding completely since VPU kicks in. Have you overclocked it at all?

br3tt0    0

Nope. Not overclocked.

My mate gave it to me for a b-day present.

I just threw it in, and around 3 weeks later it's crashing all of a sudden. :s

petsounds    0

I get this too with my 9600XT. My power supply is kind of weak and I don't think my case is cooled very well, so I'm guessing that one or both of those factors is what's causing it on my system.

bakerster    0
get a 9800 pro bro that'll never happen !

:angry:

post-13-1079757621.jpg

excessdl    0

i just got a powercolor radeon 9600xt from newegg... it seems that only the drivers work that came on the cd.. installed the latest drivers from ati and it takes a few minutes then the screen shuts off(like power save mode) only i've never been patient enough to wait for it to come back, i just shutdown blind, then get into safemode, uninstall the new drivers and reinstall the old.. but i want to be able to play the latest games as they should be played... my case is cooled great, and i have a good power supply.. so it sounds like we have about the same problem, but that rules out the power and the temp, i think..

http://www.powercolor.com.tw/page2/faq.asp

please check follow setting step by step : driver: please update VGA driver to newest version from our/ATi's website , and you need to remove all other VGA driver in 'add/remove program' before you update VGA driver . setting change : please disable 'fastwrite' feature in section 'smartgart' of aTi advanced display properities . in some case , please try to change the AGP speed from 8X to 4X . special way : in some case , user have resolve this status by change AGP voltage from 1.5V to 1.6V , please make sure that your mainboard have supported this function . 

as soon as i get home i'm gonna try this.. hope that works.

br3tt0    0

Oh ok.

It doesn't happen like every 5 mins thank god. Just every so often...

Can be annoying. But I thought I'd ask the pro's... :)

Anymore comments? Shoot.

br3tt0    0
i just got a powercolor radeon 9600xt from newegg... it seems that only the drivers work that came on the cd.. installed the latest drivers from ati and it takes a few minutes then the screen shuts off(like power save mode) only i've never been patient enough to wait for it to come back, i just shutdown blind, then get into safemode, uninstall the new drivers and reinstall the old.. but i want to be able to play the latest games as they should be played... my case is cooled great, and i have a good power supply.. so it sounds like we have about the same problem, but that rules out the power and the temp, i think..

as soon as i get home i'm gonna try this.. hope that works.

I did this just then, thanks.

We'll see what happens. :blink:

jaffa    0

man i used to get the vpu errors with the 4.1 drivers.. even disabeling them would not help..

so i went back to 3.9's.. yesterday i installed the 4.2's and i must say: haven't had any problems yet.. altough i disabled it :laugh:

and yes maybe you need to increase the voltage from 1.5 to 1.6. Some mobo's undervolt a bit so 1.6 is the best option imo. :happy:

br3tt0    0

I stopped VPU recovering...

I got this :cry: ATI%20ERROR.JPG

It went the same, like black, but automatically restarted :wacko:

Luckily I had no unsaved work.