• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

HELP! SP2 screwed xp up!

WS togermano    0

hahahah this is funny it turns out my harddrive was starting to fail and insstalling sp2 was the last blow to my hd. ****ing maxtor i called them up and having it rmaed

freakyfriday    2
hahahah this is funny it turns out my harddrive was starting to fail and insstalling sp2 was the last blow to my hd. ****ing maxtor i called them up and having it rmaed

that's sucks... :no:

Nodiaque    14
sp2 works just fine for me after turnig of that new securitycenter and firewall :p

need to turn off those things???

As for me, downloaded RC1 from microsoft and works flawless, no bug at all (for now). And it's soooo fast, faster then xp even before installing sp1 or patch. It's so quick and use less ressources even with all those new security features

Nodiaque    14
you wouldnt want to install the final over a beta or RC. that just wouldnt be wise. if you slipstreamed it (god knows why) then best idea would be to do the same and start fresh when final hits

hmmm... there is slipstream image on betas website... you don't need to do it, just download the iso of home or pro slipstreamed and request a cdkey...

greatpumpkin02    0

I don't know if it's been mentioned, but after reading through the first page of this topic I'm surprised at the lack of help this guy's gotten from Neowin....

OK - unmountable boot volume? What I'd try is booting from XP cd, going to recovery console and trying the FIXBOOT or FIXMBR (one, then reboot and if it doesn't work go back and try the other)...I've had the same problems with Win2k and XP and it's solved the problem both times...

Good luck, and don't shy away from SP2 - I've been testing since Beta 1 and I'm very surprised at the level of quality and effort this SP reflects.

pmcartney    0

And just how does one remove SP2? System Restore will not help a person because once a new program is installed that option is dead as in you lose the new program...and then have to reinstall that IF one can remember all they installed!!! The option is not in control panel and if it were it would wreck what was installed after once again.

Why can't one install over a RC ??? I hate that block a software download box under the security TAB in Internet Options it is OFF by default so you never get a prompt. Intentional???

----Rich

Otherwise it works perfect. For MS

riahc3    440
There's some people in this forumn that are real ######... Just try to help the guy geez

these "people" are not ######. He's deserving everything said to him because he took a risk installing a non final sp. If you cant read that this shouldnt be installed on production computers thats your problem. Neowin helps people with common sense not carelessness. Ive taken the risk (and i understand it) of installing the SP2 RC1 now.

Mr. Black    38

Yeah i've noticed alot of ###### in this thread too.

You should all be ashamed - if you just post to insult someone, your'e pathetic.

The guy came here for help - you could have at least tried to help rather than post 20,000 times about "Don't install on a production system" - you could have said that once, then offered some advice...

canadian397    0
yeah I thought it was just me noticing that.....

LMFAO!!! i can agree

CoLdFuSi0n    21
There's some people in this forumn that are real ######... Just try to help the guy geez.

He knew it was a beta. he took the risk of istalling it, so if you don't mine just STFU :devil:

oh and btw HAHAHAHAHAHAHA this thread is so funny. :whistle:

ABC    0

Well after all, it's a M$ product!

Panacik    27

For god sake, why do people take these risks? I have installed SP2 on mymahcine, which was already a fresh installation and had no files etc on the OS partition. I have also had loads of problems with XP since it was released even with SP1, so i had nothing to loose. I have installed SP2 and i can honestsly say it seems to have been built for me. It has fixed ALL the errors i have had for the past few years now, including my internet disconnects after a few hours and the BSOD i got after being disconnected (frustrating it was).

I did notice that after i installed the Beta updates from V5 MS update site, it started BSODing my machine.

I simply booted into safe mode and uninstalled each SP indiviually until i found the one which was causing the BSOD.

In my opinion, i would give a big thumbs up to SP2... Very impressive.

Anyways... boot from CD if you can, then run the setup etc. If it does not recognise your drive then you will need to either get another drive to install the OS to or format and start from scratch. Having NTFS partitions and then installing RC's when you have important data on the machine is just dumb. The only other option you have is to send the HDD to a company such as Vogon and spend a few thouseand pound getting the data recovered.

BTW... Why do you keep flaming people for the comments? you where warned and there is not a lot you can do, so dont flame people for telling the truth about the situation mate.

Rich