is it possible to setup a php forum like this into a free hosting site

Question

is it possible to setup a php forum like this one into a free hosting sites??? because some of the free hosts permits to use php and asps but im not sure its possible, what do you think ? if i can, is there any free forum php or asp S that i can use ? (for example can i use snitz forum with brinkster.com s free asp support)

19 answers to this question

Must have database support all the best forums out there... most free hosting sites don't have that.

This forum requires MySQL.. in fact most do. The one on that site you mentioned is an Access database and I don't know of a forum that runs on Access.

SELECT YOUR DATABASE TYPE AND CONNECTION TYPE (access, sqlserver or mysql) says in snitz s config.asp and

ASP 3.0/ASP.NET Support, MS Access Databases

Web Based File Mgr, ADO & FileSystemObject says in brinkster. im not so much familiar with this topic so if you can suggest me a such kind of solution (a free web host + free forum), i ll be very happy.

I have set up my own board just like neowin on my own site, I'm in the process of configing it.

The board I used is YABB ( yet another bulletin board ) its fantastic and offers all the stuff on the neowin boards, sigs, avatars, smilies and yes its FREE !

All ya need is a cgi-bin, its easy set up, mine was running in 30 mins.

You can get it here.

Give it a go if wanna try perl instead of php, you won't be dissapointed.

Well I'm not sure of any free hosts with cgi / perl access but the one I mentioned in my previous post 'Bargain Hosts' are very cheap, take a look and see what they offer, loads for a very small price.

I think if you do find a free host with cgi / perl support, you will find you will only have limited band width, Bargain Hosts has unlimited bandwidth.

Hope this info helps. :D

Here's a link to a very solid Forum system, one I've implemented for many clients.

It is free, open source, and written in ASP.

Most ASP-capable platforms/database solutions are supported out-of-the-box (Windows or Unix server; MS Acess, MS SQLServer, MySQL).

Give it a try, especially if you are looking for an easy-to-deploy solution that will run on a limited-feature hosting arrangement.

*btw: this isn't a shameless plug. this is just a product that works really well, i've used many times, and hasn't let me down.

But the unlimited bandwidth is usually just a trick to lure you in. It's usually limited to something like 2 images per page view (which is NOT good considering you have smilie images and post reply images and logos, etc etc) or do something where the TOS says you can't use more than 5gb of transfer or else they might ask you to stop. Also, there are free hosts out there that offer php and dbs I'm sure, but not the ammount of resources to host a site like this. Neowin has it's own dedicated server that often has loads over 1. No way you'll get those type of resources from some free place.

Basically, if you can drop 15 bucks a month you can be sure you can host a good site. I recommend HostRocket for some good hosting or Nirmani.net (my current host). Both will offer you the services you need.

Now, If you need a copy of vBulletin, just PM me :D

At the end of the day go for what makes you happy, I searched for a free script and come across YaBB and it worked for me and the host I'm also happy with, I have never had any bandwidth problems, I'm happy with them because they are based in the UK like me.

Search around give few scripts ago until your happy.

Concerning the host ask around but if your serious about scripting then I think you must consider paying a little bit of money because not everything in life is free.

Just remember if your happy with your choices then thats all that matters. :sleeping:

Originally posted by Marshalus  

vbulletin is definatly the way to go if you can afford it.

why would u install vbulletin on a free host? if u could afford vbulletin, u would be paying for hosting.

i think Xcalibur is right. i know that vbulletin is the best but i dont wanna pay for hosting so why i pay for vbulletin. by the way i decided to use free snitz forum with brinkster if i can handle the configs. i have some problems and couldnt setup the forum. maybe you can help me :)

Originally posted by Xcalibur  

prove it.. LMAO. :D  j/k of course ... lol

I have 2.2.1 and 2.2.2 that doesn't check with vbulletin.com for validation. It's a pretty easy "fix". Shoot it's all open source so anyone can change it. So anyways.......