WMAs on a Mini Ipod?

Well I am pretty sure Apple iPod engineers are not going to be reading neowin so why don't you shoot Apple an email explaining why YOU need wma support and I'm sure they'll be right on that. :rolleyes:

He's just making a valid point for a lot of people, why the snide remarks just because you don't like it?

Exactly "if", good luck finding a online music store that sells MP3 files without protection AND offers what you want (I have a weird taste sometimes, got to admit that).

It sounds to me like the problem you have is with the music industry: it's not Apple's job to provide you with music in any format you want on their store. Maybe you could write a letter to Microsoft, dell, and wal-mart and try to get them to ship non-restricted files or baring that try to get a license for AAC+Fairplay from apple.

EDIT:

Apple share holders want to sell iPods any way they can.

The leading music store uses AAC+Fairplay for DRM.

iPod is the only player to support AAC+Fairplay so Apple's play is the only choice for customers of iTMS.

Every dollar someone spends at iTMS is an additional dollar someone loses if they decide to use another player. Likewise, every dollar someone spends at Dell's store on WMA files is "portable" if they decide to move back somewhere else (assuming it worked on the iPod in the first place).

Maybe you're under-estimating Apple's position in the online music and mp3-player markets. Apple owns them already, and doesn't need to grow a bigger market - they need to lock-down the one they've got. Adding features and support that will also work on a competitors project (like WMA files) doesn't secure their customers - being exclusive does.

Kind of like how getting documents from <whatever> into word was pretty easy, but getting a word document back into some other format is a pain. Or if you prefer: getting data into Oracle is (fairly) simple, but moving to another DB is anything but simple. Once people have a build up of data that only works with one piece of hardware or software they stick through it for the long haul.

That's a pretty strong argument for apple to keep things as is.

Can you offer a better way for Apple to secure their position to the shareholders?

(I've never been arguing that it's not a "good thing" for customers. I believe that it is very unlikely that apple will support 3rd party music services unless they come into hard times. and even then...)

Edited by the evn show

He's just making a valid point for a lot of people, why the snide remarks just because you don't like it?

What you call "a lot of people" I call a very minute population who apple doesn't care or need to care about. It's snide because I think it is ridiculous to actually think that Apple cares about each individual consumer enough to open the iPod format to 3rd party files just so he can find a band named Mystery 3000 or whatever.

Apple does not care about you and your needs, they care about making money. And frankly they are obviously making a lot more by keeping it closed, so that is how it will stay. It is a serious suggestion however, Apple will almost 100 percent never see this, so it would be better to shoot them an email.

Good luck!

What you call "a lot of people" I call a very minute population who apple doesn't care or need to care about.

There is a cery minute of population that use Mac, why support it... Why don't kill any MAC and PC interoperabillity in hardware..

BTW I am just kidding

What you call "a lot of people" I call a very minute population who apple doesn't care or need to care about. It's snide because I think it is ridiculous to actually think that Apple cares about each individual consumer enough to open the iPod format to 3rd party files just so he can find a band named Mystery 3000 or whatever.

Apple does not care about you and your needs, they care about making money. And frankly they are obviously making a lot more by keeping it closed, so that is how it will stay. It is a serious suggestion however, Apple will almost 100 percent never see this, so it would be better to shoot them an email.

Good luck!

I see what you and evn are saying but I thought that any good company would care about their customers, I thought Apple might be different (pardon the pun) but I guess that isn't the case. Also for the record I own an iPod and enjoy the iTMS and AAC but I just figured that more choices would make for an even better player and could accommodate even more people and their needs however small they are?that?s all.

There is a cery minute of population that use Mac, why support it... Why don't kill any MAC and PC interoperabillity in hardware..

BTW I am just kidding

I know you are just joking but I will reply anyway...

Because Apple is trying to gain market share in computers, so they need compatibility. They are not trying as much to gain market share in the mp3 player market because they already have it, they just need to keep it.

If the market share of Apple computers compared to PCs was the same as the market share of iPods compared to other players, many things would be different.