Whats The Best Operating System

Riz360

(8) Every OS sucks (8)

Great song!

Chicane-UK

What a stupid post. I mean, i'm not one to criticise but really.

Which other OS are you going to use on that kind of rig? Yes, you could go for Linux but for general game playing and net surfing its obviously going to be Windows XP.

What the hell else would you use! MS-DOS?!?!

Fantmx
What a stupid post. I mean, i'm not one to criticise but really.

Which other OS are you going to use on that kind of rig? Yes, you could go for Linux but for general game playing and net surfing its obviously going to be Windows XP.

What the hell else would you use! MS-DOS?!?!

I agree. I think he is simply trying to brag about his powerful, but poorly configured computer.

SabaTime

www.apple.com = HAPPINESS

devn00b
Will this be a serious piracy... :happy:

We used windows server 2k3 at my job for just about all the pc's in my little area. Sure they are servers...sure they are busy serving files and whatever else to the people at work, does that mean i cant have a little fun and play my mp3's or Everquest on them? i dont think so. Windows is windows Different flavors sure different versions, but at the heart its still windows..

Hurmoth

This is a decision that can't be taken lightly! Each operating system out there has their own pros and cons. Windows XP is great for users that love wizards (wizards make things faster), on the other hand though, Windows does crash a lot, a lot more than Mac and Linux. Both Mac and Linux are hard to get use to if you've been a Windows users all your life. For some, however, using Mac and Linux does come natural no matter how long they've used Windows. I personally would have to go for a Windows computer, only because I have used Windows all my life and will always use Windows as long as Windows is around. But, I would never disregard my Linux (Mandrake 10) or my Mac OS X 10.3 notebooks, servers and desktops. I like all three, but my main computer will always be Windows!

Here are my favorite operating systems:

Server: Windows Server 2003 Standard Edition

Server: Red Hat 9

Desktop: Windows XP & Mac OS X

Gaming Machine: Mac OS X & Mandrake Linux 10 (DoD 1.0 :yes: )

I find that Windows Server 2003 is one of the most stable server OSes Microsoft has ever put out and it is much cheaper than a Linux Server. If you don't believe me, go look up the prices! I compared HP, Dell, & IBM and found the ones with Win2003 pre-installed is much cheaper than the ones with Linux pre-installed!

Edited by NeoSoft
sandman45654
:no: Windows 2003 is not a workstation (yes I do know that several guides exist for such transformation, BUT WHY?!)  :blink: ! If security is your concern install SP2 RC1 in XPpro and you?re set!

Windows Xp and Windows Server 2003 were the same os until the second beta of whistler. After that Microsoft finished Xp and continued work on 2003 for a couple of years. Server releases also go through much more rigorous testing phase.

I run 2003 at home but I don?t use any of the programs that switch Windows into actual workstation mode. That doesn't make any sense to me. If you?re going to run a server os run it as a server. Just use it like a workstation.

The benefits of Windows 2003 over Xp are,

1. Much less bloat

2. Better memory management

3. Better stability

4. Better security

I don't see how piracy has anything to do with the "Window 2003 as a workstation" debate. Any real pirate will get Windows 2003 without getting Neowin?s permission. Hell I had Win2k3 the day it was released, I erased Xp two days later.

ABC
Wouldn't Windows ME be the best? it just doesn't get any better! :devil:

Blue screen of death fun all day long :yes:

WinME always been my choice after XP. If you don't know how to use an OS, then of course it's gonna crash.

ABC
I don't see how piracy has anything to do with the "Window 2003 as a workstation" debate. Any real pirate will get Windows 2003 without getting Neowin?s permission. Hell I had Win2k3 the day it was released, I erased Xp two days later.

Note that it's "Windows Server 2003" and not "Windows 2003 server", there is a huge difference. A lot of thing are missing in Windows Server 2003.I wouldn't recommend it for gamerb>, doing so would be so lame and only proove how n00b you are.

edmonton

With your spec, I should say you'd better install all the OS available, and give us a report which one is the best. :yes:

• 2 weeks later...
sandman45654
Note that it's "Windows Server 2003" and not "Windows 2003 server", there is a huge difference.  A lot of thing are missing in Windows Server 2003. I wouldn't recommend it for gamer>, doing so would be so lame and only proove how n00b you are.

Picking on a dyslexic guys typographical errors :shifty:: LOL

Win2k3 is PERFECT for a gaming rig by the way. It uses fewer resources than Xp does. It also manages these resources much more efficiently. I'm playing some mp3's right now and Winamp is using 0 percent of the cpu. It has only has used 0.03 seconds of cpu time total. I'm still trying to figure that trick out lol.

There is no way a n00b would be able to properly configure Windows Server 2003 for gaming. So I fail to see how that would"proove"> your a n00b. It isn't that hard but it helps if your a Windows 2000/Xp poweruser.

post-11-1081065357.jpg