Need for Speed 5 (Porsche 2000)

Spike

I have installed Need for Speed 5 (Porsche 2000 in spanish), but after the presentation the game locks when it is loading. I have tried installing other video drivers, but there's no response from the game.

My system specs:

Windows XP RTM 2600

Pentium III 700Mhz

Soyo 6vba 133

256MB pc133 CAS3

Teppro Hulk5 GeForce II MX 400 32mb [with Detonator XP]

SoundBlaster DE 5.1

Western Digital 30Gb ATA66

I live in Argentina, so my english is really worse.^^

DinaMoe

Saddly, this happens to me also. I've tried many diferent drivers too, but none seem to work. ****.

SouthWest

ok, I used to have the same problem, this is how you can fix it:

Go to the start menu, search in the "accesories" submenu, there you?ll find the "Program compatibility wizard", follow the instructions and Porsche will run again.

See ya!

PabUK

This happens for some people in Win 2000 and Win XP.

To fix it, install the latest patch (version 3.5) and then delete the file gimme.dll in the NFS directory.

That should work, it does for me!

Spike
Originally posted by PabUK  

This happens for some people in Win 2000 and Win XP.

To fix it, install the latest patch (version 3.5) and then delete the file gimme.dll in the NFS directory.

That should work, it does for me!

THANK YOU!!!

By this way, the game works great!!~!!

PabUK

No problem, thought that would help!

PabUK

It is a pretty decent game. Very different style to the previous ones (with only Porsches and more realistic physics) but still a good game. I bought a steering wheel and pedals set the same day I bought it, which unfortunately makes it more difficult to play but improves the realism.

BasilB

Can someone post a link to where I can download that v. 3.5 patch without using the Updater that comes with the game? I couldn't find the patch on the EA site.

SlashDot14

I find that a lot of included updaters don't work at all.

PabUK

Same here. I would rather do it manually anyway most of the time.

BasilB

A friend of mine had his NFSP updated automatically, and after that the game kept crashing until he reinstalled it (needless to say, without the update).

Thanks for the link. I'm downloading the file right now. It's about 1.5 Mb, and the update I was offered to install by the Updater was reported to be 16 Mb. This size sort of scared me. I wonder what it could be.

PabUK

16MB? That is just wrong! This update is the latest one and will patch any previous version to 3.5 (the latest and probably last).

My first thought was that the update might be trying to download all the cars they released on the internet for you, but I have them all (there are 4) and they only add up to 5.5MB.

Elliot B.

Excellent game! Not as good as Unreal Tournament though :)

PabUK

I just bought Grand Prix 3 today. In fact I have no idea why I haven't played it yet, the box is still in the bag and I have been home for about 3 hours. What is wrong with me??

Elliot B.

Was it in a sale by any chance? :) That's sometimes VERY tempting ;)

PabUK

Yes, I love games in sales, the only way I will actually pay for them.

They have piles of GP3 boxes in HMV for ?9.99 each. With 10% student discount it was just ?9.

And here we are hours later and I STILL haven't tried it! WTF?