Ads in sigs unacceptable

Hi Guys,

I removed 2 ads from members sigs advertising web hosting, both with oversized red fonts. This is totally unacceptable at Neowin, your sig is not an area to advertise products or services, we require ad companies to pay to advertise on neowin so that we may pay the costs of our server. I find it unacceptable and disrespectful that members induce further intrusion and distraction by turning pages into semi-ads.

The fact that its gotten out of hand means we are now taking action to completely remove this form of advertising. Neowin has options to sell ad banner space you can contact redmak@neowin.net for a quote (serious requests only!)

Let it also be noted that members who disregard this moderation will lose the rights to edit their profile and possibly face more restrictions. Neowin remains a privately run/funded site so we also require members to play by the 'house rules'

Thanks for listening :)

speaking of this would my sig be ok.....

I think its oversized, yes.. your contribution was "speaking of this would my sig be ok....." yet the space your post took up was 3x that of the text because of the sig.

People need to use common sense, are you asking for money in return for services via your sig? then yes remove it because Neowin isn't going to endorse such practices.

I think the best way if u still want to do ads to whatever u provide as a service, is to leave a link of ur site on the "www" button which u can add/edit from "Edit my profile" from "My Control" link up in the forum header.

This is about obtrusive ads where people are trying blatently to flog stuff; we dont really want them on the boards. If you want to advertising properly, i suggest you contact our ad providers.

I am sure the FireFox stuff is allowed but ads were just plain annoying. I already have a hosting company and so does Neowin. Members who need hosting will use Google or an appropate website. Thanks Neobond.

Couch Potato?

Yeah well i changed my sig after neobond completely removed it to have a little 3gb + 50gb = $5 bit of text and then click the sig for more info, and the text was no bigger than this, what was the problem there its not like it was taking the whole page up

I was one of the damned victims...

So wait, if members are loosing them, what about mods? Not naming names...

Thats what i said when neobond PM'ed me, he said those people's ;);) ) will be removed too

haha :laugh:

You should also stop people from posting referrer links in there post which makes them money.

I don't see a problem with this as long as people do not start a topic to ask for people to use their referral service. If someone is asking about a service, and a user gives a review and then says "Hey, use this link if you want to sign up for it", I don't see anything wrong with that, but hey, this is all up to the evil looking admin :)

So wait, if members are loosing them, what about mods?

Good question. Can one of the admins answer?

I agree, the ads were quite intrusive and annoying, but IMO a normal-sized text ad in your sig should be acceptable. I never plan on doing it, but as long as it isnt in my face I dont mind if others do.

Ok, I can understand all this, but one thing I still would like clarified

If I were to use one of those "Use Opera" sigs, would this be counted as an Ad since Opera is commercial software?

Case in example, simplythebest.gif

Just need clarification on the difference between an "ad" and an "opinion"...