Ads in sigs unacceptable

Take those dumb firefox refering links to switch over from I.E.,, Thats Advertising...  Firefox is a company with lots of money..  They should have to buy from neowin.com...  It makes you happy cause more people use firefox,, the better it gets.  What about the people who like I.E.  HuH.  :D

As much as I don't like refering links, I should point out that Mozilla (FireFox) is a non-profit organization rather than a for-profit company as you suggest.

BTW, I turn sigs back on temporarily to see a particular one and I can't wait to disabled them again. It's much faster...

Take those dumb firefox refering links to switch over from I.E.,, Thats Advertising... Firefox is a company with lots of money.. They should have to buy from neowin.com... It makes you happy cause more people use firefox,, the better it gets. What about the people who like I.E. HuH. :D

fyi, Firefox isnt a company. Mozilla is.

fyi, Firefox isnt a company. Mozilla is.

Neither is. Mozilla is an organization, funded by the almost entirely defuct Netscape Corp.

Signature -

One's name as written by oneself.

The act of signing one's name.

A distinctive mark, characteristic, or sound indicating identity: A surprise ending is the signature of an O. Henry short story.

Abbr. Sig. or S. Medicine. The part of a physician's prescription containing directions to the patient.

Music.

A sign used to indicate key.

A sign used to indicate tempo.

Printing.

A letter, number, or symbol placed at the bottom of the first page on each sheet of printed pages of a book as a guide to the proper sequence of the sheets in binding.

A large sheet printed with four or a multiple of four pages that when folded becomes a section of the book.

Nope,, don't see firefox here. hmm..

Stop beating on a topic that was already explained clearly by those in charge. You can have a firefox, opera, or ie tag in your sig. At least that is how I understand it.

It's still advertising..

Yes, but it's not the problem this thread is about. This thread is about advertising in sigs for the sake of the individual who is doing the advertising. Firefox ads serve to promote an open-source and free webbrowser. The hosting ads served to make those who had them profit. It's a pretty clear difference.

This thread is about advertising in sigs for the sake of the individual who is doing the advertising.
The hosting ads served to make those who had them profit. It's a pretty clear difference.

Im not trying to pick any fights but isnt "asmallorange" a for profit company led by yourself?

Im not trying to pick any fights but isnt "asmallorange" a for profit company led by yourself?

That was addressed at the beginning of this thread, but admins chose to ignore it :whistle:

You = Member

Tim = Staff

Staff > Member

Yes, it is. The differnce here is I'm not alluding to what it is. It isn't an ad in the traditional sense. Plently of people have put links in their sigs to companies they own or work for. However, the issues with the sigs about this thread was the size 14 bold red text advertising specific hosting plans and stuff. I had a smaller message (though, not as large), which advertised a coupon code for neowin members to get 20% off hosting with me. I removed said text, and now it is just a link to my company, as many others have. It's not instusive, huge, and distracting, which was the problem with the other ads. In any case, I had notified Neobond of my changes and he approved, so it is fine what I have.

To clarify a bit more solidly, let me quote the original post:

I removed 2 ads from members sigs advertising web hosting, both with oversized red fonts. This is totally unacceptable at Neowin, your sig is not an area to advertise products or services, we require ad companies to pay to advertise on neowin so that we may pay the costs of our server. I find it unacceptable and disrespectful that members induce further intrusion and distraction by turning pages into semi-ads.

The fact that its gotten out of hand means we are now taking action to completely remove this form of advertising.

What I, and StOrM have now is acceptable. It's not huge red text, it's reasonably sized, and it's not distracting. My own sig was the same size it was now with the addition of the text "Save 20% off hosting with the coupon 'neodeal'" or something to that effect. Gathered, it wasn't as serious as the other ads seen, but I am taking precautions nonetheless. I am also going to be investing in a banner ad on the site, pending the rollout of some new services, so I will be getting my ads in in a more legitimate manner :)

Tim's Long Post

I agree with you Tim, I just wanted to get a good picture of what was allowed, and what was not allowed. I hope your orange does well, and I am sure it will... but I hate you for your prices :D .

• 2 weeks later...
People need to use common sense, are you asking for money in return for services via your sig? then yes remove it because Neowin isn't going to endorse such practices.

Timdorr please read:

To clarify a bit more solidly, let me quote the original post:

What I, and StOrM have now is acceptable. It's not huge red text, it's reasonably sized, and it's not distracting. My own sig was the same size it was now with the addition of the text "Save 20% off hosting with the coupon 'neodeal'" or something to that effect. Gathered, it wasn't as serious as the other ads seen, but I am taking precautions nonetheless. I am also going to be investing in a banner ad on the site, pending the rollout of some new services, so I will be getting my ads in in a more legitimate manner :)

Yeah, thanks. I was one who about a month ago put big red text in my sig. That is what neobond meant, and mine is now gone. With just a small link and description

your sig is not disturbing storm. i can tell you that my sig coul be more disturbing that your small hosting link. :)

I just think it's great how Neobond starts a thread, makes his point, then leaves.

It shows how what he said is clear, and correct (because he's an admin). And also that it needs no discussion.

I'm half surprised that it wasn't locked to others, but then we'd see a billion posts reguarding this post.

ANYWAY... good job, Neobond.