This is why Linux is better

speedforneed

Who else gets weird errors like this? Nothing shows up in the recycling bin, and yet it's not empty... And I never did trash the "WINDOWS" folder in the first place.

post-11-1080694554.jpg

tr1kstanc3

i wouldnt say linux is better than windows. they are too different and made for different ways of working. surely you would not tell a computer illiterate user to make sure they are root before they untar a binary package?

QuarterSwede

I don't see why Linux would be better. I've gotten far stranger errors from Linux. Then again, Linux, Windows and OSX all have their place, strengths and weaknesses.

Edited by Jstphish
jack_canada

linux is better!

Solarix

linux has given me some of the most odd error messages ive ever seen if i had a distro installed i could generate them again to get a SS they were hilarious

bangbang023

each OS is better for different people.

briangw

When Linux runs all the games I'll play, then i'll switch. Until then, Windows is better for me.

frease

Linux can't detect my dsl modem. ?That's the only reason I dislike it.

briangw
Who else gets weird errors like this?  Nothing shows up in the recycling bin, and yet it's not empty...  And I never did trash the "WINDOWS" folder in the first place.

I think you photoshopped that. ;)

Oh, wait, you're from Plymouth. nevermind. :D

GrandMaster

make linux support the vast ammount of games and apps that windows supports and ill switch without hesitation.. until then, its only something to **** around with.

+virtorio

While Linux is Microsoft's only true competition (can hardly describe Apple with their meager market share as competition) I don't think MS will have anything to worry about.

As for the picture, its either fake, or there is some malicious program running or it down to operator fault.

Gary_Player

Wow AWESOME MS paint skills kid ;)

GrandMaster
Wow AWESOME MS paint skills kid ;)

its an actuall error, why do you jump to stupid conclusions?

OptiPlex

Why are you using Windows if you think Linux is better? :blink:

+Ely

Yes that's a real error, I remember having that a LONG time ago, but I think this was fixed too, This kid should make sure he has all patches and updates installed on this PC.

I remember in the early days of XP several people complained about that error. Usually the way to fix it was to click on 'OK' it wont delete Windows don't worry, Windows folder is not even there.

If you search on this board and others you ll find other references to that error.

Barney T.
each OS is better for different people.

A very smart answer......

Anyone who really enjoys computers will look at all operating systems for their strengths and weaknesses and pick the best one that suits their needs. No need to bash any type or brand. I love Linux because:

1) it is stable as a rock.

2) It is open source and free to anyone who wants it.

3) It is created by thousands of really smart people around the world instead of several buildings of really smart people.

4) You never have to defrag.

5) It is very secure, adaptible and low on the virus target list.

6) It can be installed on just about any computer and can be dual booted with any version of Windows.

7) it is really fast and not loaded down with lots of "fluff".

8) Each Linux distro comes with tons of added software to chose from at no charge (i.e. 5 CD burning programs, multiple MPEG and video players, 3 Internet Browsers, financial, Open Office, etc).

It is an OS that is great for lots of folks. True it takes getting use to, but it reaaly is neat to learn something new.

Barney

+Ely

1) it is stable as a rock.

WindowsXP, Windows 2000 , Windows 2003 ALL stable as a rock too.

2) It is open source and free to anyone who wants it.

And hard to work with and buggy as hell too, and when you need support you don't find any, Free usually means no support too.

3) It is created by thousands of really smart people around the world instead of several buildings of really smart people.

Microsoft programmers are from the best there are in the world to, What cave did you came out from? wake up dude, MS is the World's number ONE software company, the best brains are there.

4) You never have to defrag.

Oh so you mean you don't have to give any maintenance to Linux disks at all? Get real!

I have a hardware firewall ( XP has one too which newbies can use if they would have a brain) and I run an anti virus, though I have NEVER in my life been infected with a virus, It's the idiots fault to get infected by virus, NOT Windows fault.

6) It can be installed on just about any computer and can be dual booted with any version of Windows.

Windows can also be installed in about ANY computer, what's the big deal here?

7) it is really fast and not loaded down with lots of "fluff".

Want to compete with my 2.66GHz XP system? If you have crappy hardware then don't blame Windows for it, Go buy some fast hardware and trash your last century computer which only allow outdated and low class OSes to run fast on it.

8) Each Linux distro comes with tons of added software to chose from at no charge (i.e. 5 CD burning programs, multiple MPEG and video players, 3 Internet Browsers, financial, Open Office, etc).

LMAO give me a break, yeah yeah most linux distros come with 4 CDs full of SH****T that nobody really uses, Must Linux programs suck big time and are buggy and unstable.

Let's not start talking about installing applications in Linux, Let's not talk about top of the line applications which you can use ANYWHERE you go.

So what why Is Linux better? you would better come up with better ideas. :)

Barney T.

Sorry you had to post such a juvenile response. What I posted is not to discredit Windows, but to explain why I enjoy Linux. Your need to flame my post is exactly why I do not usually post in this forum.

Barney

Edited by barneyt
Pink Floyd

nothing better to do?

Jelly2003

Linux is a great OS with a lot of potential. I'd love to make the complete switch but unfortunatley being a ASP.net web developer who uses Macromedia MX products means that I cant live without Windows.

When you think about it Windows is a good OS. A few things I'd like to see in Windows are the following:

* More bundled software unstead of Win being a tool to keep the MS monopoly strong

* Windows dialogue boxes are so annoying, with small fonts, long lines of text, and non descriptive buttons.

Woldnt you rather see this:

good.gif

Instead of this:

bad.gif

In the first you have bold text explaining why you are seeing the box, and then you have a description below in a nice big font, in short lines. Then you also have buttons that explain their own functions rather then say "Yes" "No" "ok" etc.

Overall Windows is easy to use, and its much easier then Linux. As i have said many time Linux needs:

* Better file system, current is good and has logical sense, but it is a nightmare for a beginner to understand. The file system should be reviewed for Linux 3.0.

* More graphical configuration tools, perhaps a project needs to be started where experienced Linux users develop an open source set of standard configuration tools that any distro could use.

Its ironic that the Linux die hards want to see the Operating system make it mainstream, yet the are not willing to dumb it down so that any Joe can use it. Clearly compromises need to be made, you cant have a complecated OS and also have that OS make it main stream.

Qumahlin
Who else gets weird errors like this? Nothing shows up in the recycling bin, and yet it's not empty... And I never did trash the "WINDOWS" folder in the first place.

Since your not aware I'll let you know why you got that error.

You got that error not because you trashed the windows folder, but because you trashed a file that was being cached by windows. Even if you click yes it won't allow you to delete until the file is no longer in use and no it won't trash the windows folder when it does try.

This problem is usually seen when using a preview type program or in most cases Kazaa.

someone will preview something in kazaa, delete the file when they decide they don't like it, but since Kazaa's media player/preview is nothing but an overlay of WMP windows is still using the file until you either

a. Close Kazaa

b. Preview a different file

The only thing weird about the error is the fact that it is not worded as it should be :)

shrike
its an actuall error, why do you jump to stupid conclusions?

because if the WINDOWS folder was actually being deleted, it says:

"Are you sure you want to remove the folder 'WINDOWS' and move all its contents to the Recycle Bin?'

Jelly2003

Actually, did you know that apparently there was code published in the 2.6.0 Kernel that could allow an attacker to compromise the OS. A major disadvantage of Open Source. A virus developer had his code published in the core OS, that would allow hom to gain access to people's PC's. Luckily this was discovered quickly and removed for the next release. Thanks to their code reviewing system.

But you cant say Linux is 100% secure, because if this has happened once, i wonder how many other times it has happened, or could happen again.

Redestium

Yeah I've gotten that one before, but that's life. :/

Barney T.

Yes, I know Linux is not bullet-proof. But the vast majority of the viruses and worms out today exploit Windows based computers.