'nv' driver - slow transparency

hornett

Hi there, in every distro I've ever tried, the transparent dragging effect on the desktop is very slow if i use the 'nv' driver for X. If i use the official 'nvidia' or even 'vesa' drivers, the transparency is very smooth.

To recreate what I'm talking about, start in on corner and drag the mouse quickly across to the opposite corner on a blank desktop.

PS the new version of FC2test is amazing! I'm just upgrading it to 2.6.4 with apt-get :D

colordeficiency

A little side track, what's new in Test 2?

hornett

New Gnome, Kernel 2.6 with ALSA as default, basically verything is up to date.

kemical
Hi there, in every distro I've ever tried, the transparent dragging effect on the desktop is very slow if i use the 'nv' driver for X. If i use the official 'nvidia' or even 'vesa' drivers, the transparency is very smooth.

To recreate what I'm talking about, start in on corner and drag the mouse quickly across to the opposite corner on a blank desktop.

PS the new version of FC2test is amazing! I'm just upgrading it to 2.6.4 with apt-get :D

well depending on your hardware specs and the fact that X doesn't use dma support for its graphics rendering any transparent items are going to run a little slow. enabling graphic specific drivers for your video card does help as you can see in your tests.

i still think dma should be added to X, life would be perfect and all the computer nerds would have supermodel girlfriends that dont think, just cook, clean, and well.. the other thing ;-p

hornett

But kemical- what I dont understand is why the VESA driver runs transparency a lot faster than the nv ones. I thought the VESA was a very basic, legacy option there for compatibility not performance.

kemical

could be a number of things, i dont know your machine so i would not be able to troubleshoot it

hornett

OK, so am I right in thinking that this situation is not usually the case with the nv drivers and a GeForce MX card?

kemical
OK, so am I right in thinking that this situation is not usually the case with the nv drivers and a GeForce MX card?

correct

hornett

OK thank you very much for your help, I will have another hunt around the net for some answers.

Tek

Why would you want to use the nv driver over nvidia anyway? The nv driver has no 3D accelleration.

hornett

Because even the latest nvidia driver makes X crash under the 2.6 kernel.

hornett

Yes, I am torn between 2.4 /2.6 over this also. 2.6 runs so much faster for me thom it is unreal.