Debian-30r2

knoppix

can we stop talking about friging knoppix its starting to do my head in now.

sorry, i use it as a rescue disk a lot...and i configure network cards with that tool a lot....it was the first thing that popped in my head ;)

I don't know if debian has dhcpcd or not, but if it doesn't I suggest you get it (its the best dhcp client for linux imo). after you get it. make sure your network card is either compiled into the kernel or loaded as a module. then type in dhcpcd eth0

" I don't know if debian has dhcpcd or not, but if it doesn't I suggest you get it (its the best dhcp client for linux imo). after you get it. make sure your network card is either compiled into the kernel or loaded as a module. then type in dhcpcd eth0 " How. And I don't know how to compile a kernel. I just want to bring up that smeging little pesky network config menue if there is one.

Hi well I selected the appriopiate module for the ethernet card after a reinstall and apt-get now works fine :). Now I'm on to another problem. USB Mouse. I apt-get x windows system and did all the config but when I start it I get this...

PEXExtensionInit Couldn't open default PEX font file Roman_M
(||) Keyboard "generic keyboard" handled by legacy driver
(**) Option "protocol" "ImPS/2"
(**) Configured Mouse: Core pointer
(**) Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
(EE) XF86openserial: Cannot open device /dev/input/mice
            No Such Device
(EE) Configured mouse: Cannot open input device
(EE) PreInit failed for input device "configured mouse"
(II)  Unload Module: "mouse"
(ww) No core printer registered
No Core Printer

Fatal Server Error
Failed to initialize core devices

I don't have a printer. However that error message is saying that my Logitech USB mouse does not exist. Well it does, though I think I should have enabled /dev/input/mice as a kernel module? If so how do I configure my kernel modules, I have no experience in configuring my kernel, and I don't want to install Debian for the third time lol. So thanks if you can help me. I chose the NV driver as well, am I right in that debian includes 3DFX drivers or just the standerd 2D Geforce 2MX 400 drivers. Would be interesting to know.

After I have enabled my mouse in the kernel modules is it at all possible to restart the x window manager config setup again? This is debian I'm talking about, not knoppix ok.

" Make sure the proper usb modules are loaded. I forget exactly which ones are needed, but try 'hid' "

=/ How

Heh, Sorry bout that. I should've checked back.

Did that module help or is it still not working?

I had the same problem a few months ago and my memory is kinda fuzzy on this, but im pretty sure it was the hid module.

I personally used 'modprobe hid', but there shouldnt be a difference.

It is also possible that the module for your usb controller wasnt loaded either. Try modprobe with usb-uhci, usb-ohci, or ehci-hcd if you so feel

(then try modprobe hid or one of the others that kongit listed)

modprobe usbcore can't locate module usbcore

modprobe usbmouse can't locate module usbmouse

insmod usbcore no module by that name found

insmod usbmouse no module by that name found

So you want me to type

modprobe usb-uhci

modprobe usb-ohci

modprobe ehci-hcd

This is all strange, it all worked fine in Linux Mandrake 9.2. The usb in Windows XP is Intel 82371AB/EB PCI to USB Universal Host Controller, I think this next one is the PCI USB Card (the mouse is on the mobo usb ports) OPTi 82C861 PCI to USB Open Host Controller

the support for usb in linux is usually great. your controller looks almost like mine so that isn't the problem.

please tell me what the output of the command lsmod is.

All them commands just returned the same thing, I don't think any of the USB stuff is actualy in the kernel. I think I have to recompile the kernel (which I honestly don't know how to do) and select some sort of usb option in modules?

Here is the output of lsmod

Module Size Used By

Sis900 10172 1

af_packet 6136 1

So how do I select usb options in my kernel, I'm so newb at all the kernel stuff.

Also after I sorted this mouse problem out I would like to rerun the X window system installation wizard (mayb that requires a reinstall of x?). But gotta sort out this mouse problem first. Anyone know were I can get my horizontal and vertical scan frequency, I'm using a 19" AOC GLR monitor @ 1600x900 72Hz refresh.

You don't have the usb modules loaded. I suggest you search on the net for a guide to hotplugging in debian

A good guide that you should read before compiling the kernel on your own (I suggest you learn to do this anyway and now is as good as any to start): http://www.digitalhermit.com/~kwan/kernel.html

And I am not sure about your horizontal or even you vertical (Although I believe it is 72) however do a little googling and you should find out. And you don't need to reinstall x to reconfigure it, you have two options 1) run a config program (xf86config) or 2) manually edit your /etc/X11/XF86Config file

Rebuilding the kernel just looks to hard :pinch: I'm so gona feck things up if I do this. I dunno what it is man it just scares me looking at all them commands.

Rebuilding the kernel just looks to hard :pinch: I'm so gona feck things up if I do this. I dunno what it is man it just scares me looking at all them commands.

If you seriously want to use linux you need to know how to do it. the first time is the hardest because it is new. It isn't difficult, but it sure looks that way at first.