Mac OS X 10.4: Tiger

i think they should've call it Mac OS X 10.4: House Cat

I concur. "House Cat" would be a great name :laugh: .

Note: I love Macs, just thought it was funny! Tiger is a good name, but I think Apple will run out of feline names somewhere around 7 or so.

Windows only comes out every 2-3 years if you ignore Windows 98, Windows 98 SE and Windows 98 and Windows 2000 and Windows XP. :D There was not that much time between Windows 2000 and XP.

Windows 2000 was a business workstation OS not meant for home use. Windows ME was a mistake and more of an upgrade than anything so from Win98SE to WinXP you have 3 years between them.

It beats upgrading Windows for a few $10 less and getting little-to-no new features.

xpsp2 has upgraded IE and windows more than 10.2-10.3. it was free too. on apples page it says that "based on unix" is one of panthers new features.

I don't know about anyone else, perhaps again, I speak for myself. Even if I do, I still back it up.

In my opinion Panther was well paid with EXPOSE.

Sure I might get criticized for the fact that this is such a small update for such a hefty price?it might be small, simple and stupid, but it forever changed computing. Now it seems like when I?m without it, it?s almost like having an internet browser without the ability to view previous pages.

Edit: (FORGOT) But what I was getting at was, if Apple integrates such a great feature, I?m sure I?m going to dish out the money for a future upgrade. AND I think, as hailed through experience, you can only gain such an appreciation after being able to experience it on a personal level. (Such as the Mac platform as a whole) And if you belittle me for dishing out money for such upgrades, of which some consider insignificant, knowing there will be others like me, I guess you can just call me a lemming.

Edited by varekai2

xpsp2 has upgraded IE and windows more than 10.2-10.3. it was free too.

Omigod, they updated IE?! Anyways, got a feature list for SP2? Because then and only then can you prove it has more new features.

I hope Sun Microsystems has no problem with this. Their current 1.5 JVM is codename "Tiger" also..

*cough* lawsuit *cough* *cough*

Definitely not digging the name thing here. Apple had always been cool for its internal codenames and sensical for its numbering system (OS 7, 7.5.6, etc). Now they're getting into the same less-than-helpful naming scheme Microsoft is so well-known for (Windows, XP, ME, Longhorn).

Product names should help people understand the product before they even know what it's about. That's just a concept of advertising/marketing. Tiger isn't helping them sell anything (or maybe it is????). I've heard countless people say to me, "Have you tried Jaguar?" and when I first hear it I'm saying to myself, Jaguar what?

I'm not going to sue Apple over this feline theme but you'll never see me telling anyone it's cool.

I hope Sun Microsystems has no problem with this. Their current 1.5 JVM is codename "Tiger" also..

*cough* lawsuit *cough* *cough*

But if Apple copyrighted the feline names a bit ago and it is a ?code-name?? Wouldn?t it be the other way around?

That is unless that development took place before the copyright, but in essence the copyright office would have sought a parallel and denied the copyright to be given to Apple...

Or am I just wrongly interpreting things?

For those that care about my earlier comments, I have used every major version of OS/X except 10.3 as of yet. I have also used every previous Macintosh OS since System 5 and the days of 9" black & white Mac Plus screens.

Omigod, they updated IE?! Anyways, got a feature list for SP2? Because then and only then can you prove it has more new features.

apple said that the safari update was one of the major updates of panther. expose and ichat av werre the only real features of 10.3. i dont have a list but afaik it has:IE dl manager and popup blocker, new windows firewall, new windows update a bunch of bug fixes, better wireless networking and a new version of windows installer wich can do one-click installs.

I'm not going to sue Apple over this feline theme but you'll never see me telling anyone it's cool.

...See to me Panther seemed fierce... But for some reason Tiger (as stated in my original post) seems less intimidating... Perhaps through the sheer fact that I don't think there is a pleasing sound to it. "OS X: Tiger"...

Names like OS X: Jaguar and OS X: Panther would make me want to **** my pants... if I were an operating system...

apple said that the safari update was one of the major updates of panther. expose and ichat av werre the only real features of 10.3. i dont have a list but afaik it has:IE dl manager and popup blocker, new windows firewall, new windows update a bunch of bug fixes, better wireless networking and a new version of windows installer wich can do one-click installs.

I can think of another off hand... FileVault.

And yeah... I think SP2 fugged my computer... I just am annoyed as to the slowness of things for me (of course, YET AGAIN could be a personal experience...) and I dislike the fact that they added items in the taskbar, that annoys me to no end. (Part of the reason why I like Macs is that it has the ability to hide things... keep things clean... I'm one of those people that like nothing but a trashcan on my desktop... but I'm freak like that... Macs just let me be the freak I yearn to be, I guess........)

And yeah... pop-up blocker... old news... and when stuff gets blocked... why can't it be like Safari and let it be silenced... I don't care to know an add was blocked... as that is an ad in-and-of itself. (Oh well what if it blocks the wrong thing??? Never experienced the problem yet... unlike on the Windows machine where I have to view the mis-blocked items...)

Just $0.02 from a user friendly to both platforms, with an obvious bias towards another--but a bias of functionaliy--thus making it a bais of validity.

I can think of another off hand... FileVault.

And yeah... I think SP2 fugged my computer... I just am annoyed as to the slowness of things for me (of course, YET AGAIN could be a personal experience...) and I dislike the fact that they added items in the taskbar, that annoys me to no end. (Part of the reason why I like Macs is that it has the ability to hide things... keep things clean... I'm one of those people that like nothing but a trashcan on my desktop... but I'm freak like that... Macs just let me be the freak I yearn to be, I guess........)

And yeah... pop-up blocker... old news... and when stuff gets blocked... why can't it be like Safari and let it be silenced... I don't care to know an add was blocked... as that is an ad in-and-of itself. (Oh well what if it blocks the wrong thing??? Never experienced the problem yet... unlike on the Windows machine where I have to view the mis-blocked items...)

Just $0.02 from a user friendly to both platforms, with an obvious bias towards another--but a bias of functionaliy--thus making it a bais of validity.

SP2 isn't final yet (a good 3 months from being there) so what did you expect? And XP by default has just the bin on the desktop after a clean install.

SP2 isn't final yet (a good 3 months from being there) so what did you expect?? And XP by default has just the bin on the desktop after a clean install.

...so other people can't make claims either... :blink:: (But still, doesn't excuse my dislike of the items in the taskbar, etc.)

And on that note, I rest my case. We've gone off topic far enough... Session is correct.

I use both platforms and for me they almost always work symbiotically.

For me to ignore that I have favor over one would be incorrect, but for me to even take sides, it wouldn't be fair.

I extend my olive branch.

Edited by varekai2

On the subject of possible new features we'll see in 10.4, I have two bets:

- since Apple is bringing back some long-desired features available in OS 9 (such as colored labels in Panther), I bet (and hope) they'll give us back a customizable Apple menu;

- they'll probably buy and integrate Quicksilver, or they'll develop something similar system-built. Quicksilver is maybe the most interesting application appeared in recent months, and it's a great and valuable addition (and I could be wrong, but there isn't anything similar for windows).

Of course, I'm also ready to be amazed by the creativity of Apple's engineers... they invented Expos?, after all...

they invented Expos?, after all...

That's definitely not a good thing. Expose is THE worst way you could do multitasking. It takes less time to take your mouse down to the dock to click on the app or up to the menu bar to click on the window you want, than it does to mess with Expose. I'm 100% convinced Expose is just the Apple developers way of saying "Look what we can do"

That's definitely not a good thing. Expose is THE worst way you could do multitasking. It takes less time to take your mouse down to the dock to click on the app or up to the menu bar to click on the window you want, than it does to mess with Expose. I'm 100% convinced Expose is just the Apple developers way of saying "Look what we can do"

I have to agree, after using it for a while it was cool but even alt+tabbing (err, whatever the key is on Apple keyboards :p) just seems quicker and sleeker.

That's definitely not a good thing.? Expose is THE worst way you could do multitasking.? It takes less time to take your mouse down to the dock to click on the app or up to the menu bar to click on the window you want, than it does to mess with Expose.

Every rule of UI design contradicts you.

"It takes less time to move the mouse to the dock"

Only if you want it too. The time to acquire a target is inversely proportional to the size of a target (assuming the target isn't under your mouse). It is very hard to click on a 1x1 pixel icon in the center of the screen, it is considerably easier to click a 128x128 pixel icon in the middle of the screen. The logical extention is that the easiest target is one that is infinitely huge in any direction.

Fortunately we have four areas where one dimension is limitless: the edges of the screen.

This is why the menu bar is on the top of the screen: it makes every item "infinitely tall" for practical purposes so you can just throw the mouse up in that general direction and you can be sure you've got the "Y" coordinate, adjust for the X coordinate and you're good to go. The opposite approach is windows where you must carefully position your mouse in a 50x20 pixel region to click on a menu item, and the "better still" approach is seen in XWindows where a middle click brings up a menu of common commands: the "top level" menu is always right under the mouse but if if you move slightly left or right - the menu has the same issues as the Windows mode.

We can take this even further though: The four corners of the screen have both "infinite" x and y dimensions. Try it: Move your mouse in at an angle up and too the left as fast as you can (close your eyes) - it ends up in the top left corner and you didn't even have to think about it. This is why the old apple menu was in that corner (I'd be upset with the re-location of the os x apple menu if it was so useless).

So compare dock icons which have infinite "Y" directions vs the expos? corner which is infinite x and y size. just switching to an app - may or may not be faster depending on how many icons you have in your dock. The "shrunk" expos? windows are much larger targets than the entries in the "window" menu, and will be at least as large as "visible" windows too. Switching to an arbitrary document is going to be faster via expos?. On average it's certainly no worse - though it may not be something you're used to.

Then of course there is the F-keys, which will get you to any given window much faster than than moving your hands from the keyboard to the mouse.

*recall application* CTRL+F3 + arrow arrow arrow...enter *think up window* CTRL+F2 + left left up *read window list, associate filename with document* (up up up...) enter

vs

F9 *see document* arrow arrow arrow arrow arrow enter (experiment here makes me susspect on average of 6 keystrokes to any window via expos?. That's the minimum to switch to the second finder using the dock - want any other window and you're mashing more key strokes.

You don't even need to know what application the document you want is in - just roughly what it looks like. This is of course only comparing the dock (why you mentioned as a specific example) with expos?. If we're going to be pointing fingers at "the worse way to multitask" I'd say the dock is it.

The only time I can see the dock being faster is when the window you want is minimized/hidden: though with expos? you don't need to minimize (that's the problem it's design to solve). Maybe your workflow is different from the majority of people, but most of us tend to work with several open windows, and only minimize to save space when we run low.

Of course you can assign expos? functions to extra mouse buttons (if you have them) making application switching with expos? many times faster that using the dock, and may be faster than CMD+key to switch applications if your hands aren't on the keyboard, or if you need to switch both application and window.

** I use the term infinity relative to the the display and other target areas, i'm well aware of the mathematical and physical limitations of such a concept - but you get my meaning.

And of course arguing this is pointless because apple left CMD+tab/` and CTRL+f2/f3 in addittion to expos?.

I'll deal with CMD+Tab/` in another post, they have their place (few open windows with few open applications) for people who dislike the mouse, just like expos? has it's place (lots of windows + lots of applications) for people who like the mouse and keyboard.

EDIT: As long as I've already ranted for a while...

10.3. i dont have a list but afaik it has:IE dl manager and popup blocker, new windows firewall, new windows update a bunch of bug fixes, better wireless networking and a new version of windows installer wich can do one-click installs.

Popup blocker: already had it. Firewall, already have arguably one of the best in the world (same software is in openbsd) and sane-defaults too! Better wirseless networking: well, apple has been in the wireless game as long as anyone: it works pretty well already. One click install (you probably mean double click + "okay") - still not up to "drag and drop" though.

As for panther features that justify the cost of the upgrade for me:

- Fast user switching. It's been in windows forever, but now it's on OS X

- imporved kernel (kqueue looks pretty darn cool)

- mail.app - now with exchange support and threaded discussion

- xcode (worth the price of admission for me)

- the fastest pdf rendering on any platform

- keyboard shortcuts system prefs panel.

Plus the two already mentioned: expos??and file vault. and then there's the little things: finder, gimp print drivers, ntfs read support, idisk...

If you don't want them: fine, wait for 10.4. The nice thing about cheap yearly upgrades is that if you don't like them - you can skip. Those of us who don't care much like waiting until 2006-2008 for some OS updates will pay the $99 a year (or $199 if we have more than one machine).

Edited by the evn show

There's one thing I've noticed, since being apart of the Mac forums on a WINDOWS / tech bulletin board. The lack of knowledge shown by most Windows users, for Mac OS. I'm going to generalize, and use the term 'they', I use it lightly..

OK now, compare and contrast these two, for me, and for everyone, and realize what a fool of yourselves, you're making.

Windows users, what did SP1 bring over the standard XP install? Forgetting bug fixes which, despite the contrary, AREN'T features... Ok, now who wants me to send them a postage stamp, so they can list these features? Hands up?

...Sure, go ahead, list them, You'll probably realize that most Mac users actually DO know about 'your' / Windows OS, Its a shame that 'most' users of Windows don't take in half as much information on Mac OS. I direct these generalizations @ the few people who CHOOSE to have posted here, and type something they seem to know little about, and no-one other.

Every few weeks, these debates come up, and yet look at how Mac OS X has developed, in THREE years... Ok, now how long has XP been around? *Cough* ... Where has that gone in the last few years? Maybe someone who knows their stuff, could make a list. Go ahead, compare... I think even I could create quite a list. Trouble is, there's a MASSIVE difference, what has Microsoft done to XP, since it when to RTM, feature wise? Really?

...Maybe you guys to need to work out WHY Longhorn is taking so long, Xp stands relatively still and why Mac OS X develops at such pace, there's correlation there...

The debate about Service Packs vs Operating System upgrades is stupid, all those with doubt, like i said, dig up some history between Mac OS X, and Windows XP being launched, to the present day and compare the transition(s).

(Part of the reason why I like Macs is that it has the ability to hide things... keep things clean... I'm one of those people that like nothing but a trashcan on my desktop... but I'm freak like that... Macs just let me be the freak I yearn to be, I guess........)

You mean like this?

post-60-1081025304.png