Mac OS X 10.4: Tiger

There's one thing I've noticed, since being apart of the Mac forums on a WINDOWS / tech bulletin board. The lack of knowledge shown by most Windows users, for Mac OS. I'm going to generalize, and use the term 'they', I use it lightly..

OK now, compare and contrast these two, for me, and for everyone, and realize what a fool of yourselves, you're making.

Windows users, what did SP1 bring over the standard XP install? Forgetting bug fixes which, despite the contrary, AREN'T features... Ok, now who wants me to send them a postage stamp, so they can list these features? Hands up?

...Sure, go ahead, list them, You'll probably realize that most Mac users actually DO know about 'your' / Windows OS, Its a shame that 'most' users of Windows don't take in half as much information on Mac OS. I direct these generalizations @ the few people who CHOOSE to have posted here, and type something they seem to know little about, and no-one other.

Every few weeks, these debates come up, and yet look at how Mac OS X has developed, in THREE years... Ok, now how long has XP been around? *Cough* ... Where has that gone in the last few years? Maybe someone who knows their stuff, could make a list. Go ahead, compare... I think even I could create quite a list. Trouble is, there's a MASSIVE difference, what has Microsoft done to XP, since it when to RTM, feature wise? Really?

...Maybe you guys to need to work out WHY Longhorn is taking so long, Xp stands relatively still and why Mac OS X develops at such pace, there's correlation there...

The debate about Service Packs vs Operating System upgrades is stupid, all those with doubt, like i said, dig up some history between Mac OS X, and Windows XP being launched, to the present day and compare the transition(s).

Ill admit that apple did make a great os, it only took 8 years of vaporware from them to finally do it. they let their os get stagnant and did the same with the desktop systems because they were building osx and waiting for the g5 from ibm, why improve your outdated crap when the only thing that will probably save you is coming soon?

Had a nice long post written up, but I really could care less. Expose sucks for multitasking. Any good OS X user than knows their keyboard commands can work infinitely faster than what they can do with Expose.

Evn...just keep believing what you want...whatever lets you sleep at night.

I'm not asking you to agree with me, just to back up your argument so that this otherwise dull forum can have a little life.

Expose sucks for multitasking.  Every[one]knows that.

Next you're going to be telling me that drugs are "totally sweet, because all the cool kids are doing it". I would like to address your contention that "expos? sucks for multitasking" but you aren't willing to provide any supporting evidence or premise that you used to base your conclusion on. If it's opinion, fine you're entitled to that - but I don't think it's too much to ask for you to prefix your statements as such. If you hold them to be factual, then (if you can excuse the in-eloquence of the phrase) "put up, or shut up".

I have a sneaking suspicion you're going to break out the Chewbacca defense so i'll beat you to it:

My final argument on the matter (baring someone posts something intelligent)>

Ladies and gentlemen of the supposed Neowin Mac forum, superfula would certainly want you to believe that his perfered "use the dock for multitasking method" is better than expos?. And they make a good case. Hell, I almost felt pity myself!

But ladies and gentlemen of this supposed forum, I have one final thing I want you to consider. Chewbacca is a Wookiee from the planet Kashyyyk, but Chewbacca lives on the planet Endor. Now, think about that. That does not make sense! Why would a Wookiee - an eight foot tall Wookiee - want to live on Endor with a bunch of two foot tall Ewoks? That does not make sense!

What does that have to do with this discussion? Nothing. Ladies and gentlemen, it has nothing to do with this discussion! It does not make sense!

Look at me, I'm a designer/developer defending a major computer companies window management/task switching interface, and I'm talkin' about Chewbacca. Does that make sense? Ladies and gentlemen, I am not making any sense. None of this makes sense.

And so you have to remember, when you're in that jury room deliberating and conjugating the Emancipation Proclamation... does it make sense? No! Ladies and gentlemen of this supposed forum, it does not make sense.

None of this makes sense.

If Chewbacca lives on Endor, you must agree with me! The defense rests.

Maybe I am capable of arguing against nonsense "cause i want it to be true" style arguments after all! who knew?

i actually love expose... and i find it much better than going down to the dock... its especially helpful for me when i am dealing with just finders windows...

I'm not asking you to agree with me, just to back up your argument so that this otherwise dull forum can have a little life.

Next you're going to be telling me that drugs are "totally sweet, because all the cool kids are doing it". I would like to address your contention that "expos? sucks for multitasking" but you aren't willing to provide any supporting evidence or premise that you used to base your conclusion on. If it's opinion, fine you're entitled to that - but I don't think it's too much to ask for you to prefix your statements as such. If you hold them to be factual, then (if you can excuse the in-eloquence of the phrase) "put up, or shut up".

I have a sneaking suspicion you're going to break out the Chewbacca defense so i'll beat you to it:

My final argument on the matter (baring someone posts something intelligent)>

Ladies and gentlemen of the supposed Neowin Mac forum, superfula would certainly want you to believe that his perfered "use the dock for multitasking method" is better than expos?. And they make a good case. Hell, I almost felt pity myself!

But ladies and gentlemen of this supposed forum, I have one final thing I want you to consider. Chewbacca is a Wookiee from the planet Kashyyyk, but Chewbacca lives on the planet Endor. Now, think about that. That does not make sense! Why would a Wookiee - an eight foot tall Wookiee - want to live on Endor with a bunch of two foot tall Ewoks? That does not make sense!

What does that have to do with this discussion? Nothing. Ladies and gentlemen, it has nothing to do with this discussion! It does not make sense!

Look at me, I'm a designer/developer defending a major computer companies window management/task switching interface, and I'm talkin' about Chewbacca. Does that make sense? Ladies and gentlemen, I am not making any sense. None of this makes sense.

And so you have to remember, when you're in that jury room deliberating and conjugating the Emancipation Proclamation... does it make sense? No! Ladies and gentlemen of this supposed forum, it does not make sense.

None of this makes sense.

If Chewbacca lives on Endor, you must agree with me! The defense rests.

Maybe I am capable of arguing against nonsense "cause i want it to be true" style arguments after all! who knew?

cookie?

Expos? is awesome, I really don't understand your point Superfula. I can't imagine many other computer users agreeing with you either, Oh well, each to their own..

Naaaaah that's Windows, Mac OS X has a whole new way of displaying nothing on the desktop. It's much more advanced and it takes displaying empty space to a whole new level. ;) :p :laugh:

Maybe in the distant future Windows will be able to do the same thing. But for now Mac OS X is one of a kind. It's so lonely at the top :cry:

Had a nice long post written up, but I really could care less. Expose sucks for multitasking. Any good OS X user than knows their keyboard commands can work infinitely faster than what they can do with Expose.

Evn...just keep believing what you want...whatever lets you sleep at night.

throwing my mouse into a corner of my screen and selecting a window is about 3x faster for me than going to the bottom of my screen, and trying to click on an icon.

ever since expose was introduced, my window switching time has reduced drastically. enough for me to be able to look back on it and notice that it did at this point in time.

not to mention that you can't drag files onto dock icons and expect it to pop up the application in a few seconds. i can drag files to the corner of my screen and hold them on the window i want and it will bring that to the front. this alone has saved me countless amounts of time when working with ftps and network locations.

cmd-tab cmd-` i would say are even slower to use than using the dock. cmd-tab is a bit better now that we have the huge icons right in the middle of the screen. cmd-` is only useful if you have a couple of windows open. when i'm coding something for my classes, i have about 10 windows open in XCode on a regular basis. it's much faster to use expose to find the window i want than to try and cmd-` to it.

so like evn has said. you might want to back up your claims because i doubt many people are going to agree with you, especially the 'good' os x users.

Naaaaah that's Windows, Mac OS X has a whole new way of displaying nothing on the desktop. It's much more advanced and it takes displaying empty space to a whole new level.?;))?:p:p:laugh:gh:

Maybe in the distant future Windows will be able to do the same thing. But for now Mac OS X is one of a kind. It's so lonely at the to:cry:y:

If you read my posts...:cool:l:

mac.gif

And I have to be one of the people that say that Expose is amazing... for me... when I use a PC... I catch myself trying to go to a hotspot on the screen... and yet the stuff remains stationary.

It becomes a godsend when working on a school essay and stuff... just so you don't have to print your stuff and just to reference and quote.

I have to agree with ~~NeYo~~ on the windows vs. mac thing. I agree that apple puts out new features each year and if the features are worth the price people will upgrade. On the other hand service packs offer little to NO new features and what they do offer the windows users drool all over the few that are in the service pack like hungry dogs. MS cant charge you for a service pack cus they majority is bug fixes which is their responsability and then the few features that are there arn't enough to see spending cash for it. Apple is doing a good thing with an update every year they release new stuff price may be a problem for some people but hey you dont have to wait 2-4 years with windows to get the features that should be coming out yearly. MS needs to adopt a similar bussiness model and you would have the msdn/ os subscribers complain that they are dishing out money for a subscription that they wont see anything out of. Also if MS did release updates yearly then there wouldnt be talk about XP reloaded which is IMO stuppid. Honnestly i think apple has it right. Windows users need to accept that and not dis apple.

I have to agree with ~~NeYo~~ on the windows vs. mac thing. I agree that apple puts out new features each year and if the features are worth the price people will upgrade. On the other hand service packs offer little to NO new features and what they do offer the windows users drool all over the few that are in the service pack like hungry dogs. MS cant charge you for a service pack cus they majority is bug fixes which is their responsability and then the few features that are there arn't enough to see spending cash for it. Apple is doing a good thing with an update every year they release new stuff price may be a problem for some people but hey you dont have to wait 2-4 years with windows to get the features that should be coming out yearly. MS needs to adopt a similar bussiness model and you would have the msdn/ os subscribers complain that they are dishing out money for a subscription that they wont see anything out of. Also if MS did release updates yearly then there wouldnt be talk about XP reloaded which is IMO stuppid. Honnestly i think apple has it right. Windows users need to accept that and not dis apple.

That?s the thing, usually Windows releases are 2 years apart, but now there is a big wait and people are freaking out. Why the big wait? Why was there a big wait between Mac OS 9 and 10? It?s a fundamental change and new technologies, etc. it takes time to get it all working, which is what some people fail to see on either side. MS has said (in some MSDN video) that the groundwork that they set with LH will pave the way for Windows for the next decade, much the same as what Apple has said with OS X. But that is neither here nor there in terms of Tiger (has that name been confirmed by the way)?

each to their own. while i think Expose is a really cool feature to impress my friends, i find it not much of a use in reality. i can see it being useful for some people who have 20 windows opened at a time but i have a habit of closing a window when i'm done with it, so Expose is no use for me.

Listen

To all of you trying to be smart asses and showing your Windows desktop, is there a *one button* key press you can make that can: a) move all your windows out of the way b) organize your available windows into a visible display and c) move everything back when you're done? No, not on Windows. Stop trying to be smart and showing just an example of you clearing all your icons off your desktop. That's not how most people keep their desktops and that doesn't offer the functionailty we're talking about. Stop trying to say Windows does something it doesn't...

Stange name, but I guess they want to follow the whole feline naming convention...jaguar, panther now Tiger. When are we gonna see Lion? :p

I'm still holding out for "Mac OS: ######".. That'll be one nice release... With some new wallpapers too I hope... :woot:

each to their own. while i think Expose is a really cool feature to impress my friends, i find it not much of a use in reality. i can see it being useful for some people who have 20 windows opened at a time but i have a habit of closing a window when i'm done with it, so Expose is no use for me.

heh, is that implying that because i have 20 windows open i'm not using all of them? this would be false as i close any window i'm done with as well but still have too many open :(

heh, is that implying that because i have 20 windows open i'm not using all of them? this would be false as i close any window i'm done with as well but still have too many open :(

no no no i didn't mean that.

let's just say that i prefer closing/hiding a window and use the dock to access 'em instead of hitting F9 and look for the window i want. :)

guys stop spamming the thread with ugly desktop screenies.

LOL, it was cracking me up. What exactly are these FUGLY Windows desktops trying to represent? You find the 'clean up my desktop icons' wizard? Heh, maybe they're demonstrating just how much has progressed... That wizard is pretty awesome! :cry:

Roll on 10.4 and 10.5 ... and maybe then Longhorn? :laugh:

What is everyone expecting / hoping for in the forthcoming release?

a few things that I can think of....

Spring loaded folder support in the Dock.

some form of visual (dock icon) representation for Junk Mail would be nice. (IMO)

In truth, I am stumped... hmm... What Else?

(Not to mention... I have to scroll now to read what people are writing...)

I would like to see a few things. I didn?t bring my PowerBook with me to school today, so I don?t have the list with me on hand. I don?t know if everything on that list can particularly pertain to the OS alone, rather I know I addressed it in relevance to Macs in general. When I get home, I?ll be able to post that up for you all to see, I s:blush:?? :blush:

One of the things, I know I'd like is to be able to auto-rename a mass of folders at a given time without having to use an outside application. This has become problematic for me for example when I am trying to rename a mass of imported images from a digital camera. (ie; Chicago001, Chicago002...Chicago021, etc.) If this is already possible, I still have yet to learn how to do so without having to create alias? for the images.

I know I have things I?d like to see for the iCal in relation to the customers who utilize the .mac set out by Apple Co.

Another thing, I know this might be horrible to say, but for example in word processing programs, I?d like to have the ability for the background to be omitted. I don?t know if I am making myself clear in what I wish to convey, however, at times I wish text and other items would not obscure my workspace, as they sometimes tend to act as a distraction when you are trying to convey words in such an application. (For example the ability the ?maximize??) I know I might be sounding contradictory, because one of the things I like about the Mac is having the certain way of organization that they harness?which once again, I sort of feel you have to just experience first hand to know what I speak of. Perhaps a resolution could be if they allowed for a switch in views? I don?t know, I would leave that up to the Apple developers, they?re good:pt that innovative stuff. :p

Hmm? That?s all I can remember for now, I?m still kind of riding on a high horse from an excellent business ethics class? so, I?ll be sure to post the others when I get home.

Listen

To all of you trying to be smart asses and showing your Windows desktop, is there a *one button* key press you can make that can: a) move all your windows out of the way b) organize your available windows into a visible display and c) move everything back when you're done? No, not on Windows. Stop trying to be smart and showing just an example of you clearing all your icons off your desktop. That's not how most people keep their desktops and that doesn't offer the functionailty we're talking about. Stop trying to say Windows does something it doesn't...

Designing a program in C# to replicate the expose features. Just hope I don't get sued by Apple tho :D

Got some SMTP error... reason for the dbl post.

edit: Might as well use this post

That's definitely not a good thing. Expose is THE worst way you could do multitasking. It takes less time to take your mouse down to the dock to click on the app or up to the menu bar to click on the window you want, than it does to mess with Expose. I'm 100% convinced Expose is just the Apple developers way of saying "Look what we can do"

Don't underestimate the power of visual effects... It's (partly) how products get sold. I agree, expose is worthless, but it also is impressive.

Edited by zachman123