Mac OS X 10.4: Tiger

Designing a program in C# to replicate the expose features. Just hope I don't get sued by Apple tho :D

My point was based on built-in abilities. I can download programs to add expose-like functionality to my computer right now. My point is most users don't know about them, so it's not logical for me to include them in the debate. For built-in abilities that "newbie" users are going to make use of, Expose has no comparison on Windows.

I'm mainly a windows user but like OSX. I have to admit that the only thing I use OSX for, as of now, is for Pro audio work so I have zero need for Expos?. I do, however, have a dual monitor display (on PC) and can't see the point of using Expos? if one has one. I know that I usually (on average) only have up to 2-3 windows open at a time. Having a dual monitor display enables me to display all open windows (remember 2-3) without having to close them. That's just me though. I realize that the majority of computer users don't have dual monitors so maybe my point is moot but maybe, instead of buying that upgrade, one should be buying another monitor instead? Now that would really improve functionality on any platform.

I am also a Windows user for the moment anyway:( I am now taking my time looking around for the best deal on a powerbook so then i can toss this heap of junk into the paper to sell so i can convert fully over to MAC, they look so good and i have heard how they are so far infront of windows in media and thats one of the main reasons I am making the witch over. What i like about apple is the way they tend to rip Windows apart on all fronts e.g. design,ease of use,and better graphically wise.

God i cannot wait to get one now :)

I am also a Windows user for the moment anyway:( I am now taking my time looking around for the best deal on a powerbook so then i can toss this heap of junk into the paper to sell so i can convert fully over to MAC, they look so good and i have heard how they are so far infront of windows in media and thats one of the main reasons I am making the witch over. What i like about apple is the way they tend to rip Windows apart on all fronts e.g. design,ease of use,and better graphically wise.

God i cannot wait to get one now :)

Have you done your own research or are you just spouting propaganda? Believe it or not Apple computers aren?t the best for everything.

Yeah i understand that they arnt the best for everything, I am not a gamer and i do alot of office stuff and media basically I am after an apple as they are better than windows for this type of stuff :)

Have you done your own research or are you just spouting propaganda?  Believe it or not Apple computers aren?t the best for everything.

Crowman, be careful how you say things, 'he' will pick at your words... I probably know what he will say, some crap about Office working as well or better on a PC. Its all subjective, Crowman, if you want to get a Mac, buy one mate. Don't take no notice of those trying to 'win you over', after-all you have a PC @ present, so you don't need anyone to tell you how to use one:D:D Personally I'd say you won't regret it, small things count for so much as the big ones...

Simple things like:

The close window widget changing if the document has been updated since its last save,

If you have the Trash Can window open, and then you empty it, the finder closes the, now, empty window,

Safari's uncompleted downloads showing realtime progress on the file icon itself,

Not worrying about the latest virus for the week, hell have some fun, for all the ones you receive open them, and then forward them to your Windows chums ::laugh:h:

Drag and Drop installations / Software Removal,

...Life IMO becomes alot less about doing stuff FOR your computer, which in turn gives you more time to do things WITH your computer.

...Life IMO becomes alot less about doing stuff FOR your computer, which in turn gives you more time to do things WITH your computer.

I have to say, that is exactly why I'm interested in OSX in the first place. I'm just sick of having to constantly keep windows updated or feel the need to when updates come out. It just gets tiring, especially if you have a life like me (graduating, finding an apartment/job, getting married).

what "stuff"? what is media? photoshop? movies? music? you can use itunes on a pc for "media" and photoshop is generally the same. for movies, apple has better amateur software(final cut pro, imovie) and windows has more professional software.

Simple things like:

The close window widget changing if the document has been updated since its last save

Ahh, so THAT'S what that means! Wow, awesome. Cheers! :)

One of the things, I know I'd like is to be able to auto-rename a mass of folders at a given time without having to use an outside application.  This has become problematic for me for example when I am trying to rename a mass of imported images from a digital camera.  (ie; Chicago001, Chicago002...Chicago021, etc.)  If this is already possible, I still have yet to learn how to do so without having to create alias? for the images.

See the attachment, you have several options with the default os x finder functionality + applescript. Head over to /Applications/AppleScript and run "install script menu"

Select some files/folders

Choose the appropriate script entry. For example if you wanted to rename chicago001 to "2004 chicago auto show 001" then you'd use the replace text in items script. Want to strip the "chicago" part out? then use the trim scripts.

Then of course there is the command line + bash/perl/python/whatever gets you off, but that's beyond the scope of this. If you really wanted to you could probably create a folder action that auto-renames the files as you add them without too much trouble but again, that's another thread.

Another thing, I know this might be horrible to say, but for example in word processing programs, I?d like to have the ability for the background to be omitted.? I don?t know if I am making myself clear in what I wish to convey, however, at times I wish text and other items would not obscure my workspace, as they sometimes tend to act as a distraction when you are trying to convey words in such an application.

So you want one window to be the only thing on your screen when you're working in it (ie: when you're writting a document, you want to make the Word document window the only visible thing on the screen and have ichat, itunes, photoshop, safari all hidden...

That's easy.

Open a bunch of applications and windows.

come back to the window.

hold down CMD+Option and click on the safari icon in the dock or press CMD+Option+H.

Be amazed at the power of "Hide others" as it gets rid of all the distractions leaving just your current window.

You can resize it to fill the screen manually if you want but your complaint was more visual distractions and not window real-estate.

It's the Mac OS answer to the visual clutter problem. Windows uses the "Make the window hog the whole screen so you can't see anything else". The mac os method is "hide programs I don't want to see, or hide everything but this program until i want to use somthing else".

EDIT: Forgot the attachment.

what "stuff"? what is media? photoshop? movies? music? you can use itunes on a pc for "media" and photoshop is generally the same. for movies, apple has better amateur software(final cut pro, imovie) and windows has more professional software.

ROFL. Did you just call FCP amateur? Man, you have no clue...

What is it like 99.999999999999% of hollywood movies use FCP or Shake? Very amateur; And where are those professional windows software for video editing? Suprise me :)

Lol. Ignorance is no excuse for stupidity dumbass.

I plan on buying a Powerbook with the money I'll be making in the summer.. At the same time, I think I'll always keep a Windows machine around for one reason: I actually LIKE the work that Windows tends to be in terms of daily maintenance. I like the feeling of turning a POS O/S into something BETTER than what it was intended for. As weird as that sounds.. That's the way I am.. Same reason I like Linux or BSD - they are a challenge. I like the idea of taking a default windows install and turning it into something powerful (I.e. replace the crap with the good stuff: IE->Firefox, Outlook->Thunderbird, Cmd shell (+ much more)->Cygwin, Notepad, etc->Emacs, Explorer->Dopus, etc, etc) plus I actually like tearing apart DLLs and replacing all the icons and bitmaps with Mac-Style beauty...

Has nothing to do with how bored I am either.. I lead a very busy life but I consider these things a form or relaxation...

Anyways, this has nothing to do with Tiger.. But since there isn't much to say about a codename for an update no one knows anything about, I'll just say this: the Tiger is the most powerful of the big cats, so... Hopefully that means something :) ..

[edit] Wow yay I just noticed I'm over 1000 posts :) [/edit]