.avi file deletion prob

trigger_my_passion

Some time ago, I saw a post here in neowin that gave solution to the common prob of .avi files not getting deleted after once playing. Can any one give its URL pls? Tried searching using 'file deletion problem' etc, but couldn't zero in.

OS is Win XP Pro.

TIA

semaja2.net

if you open it in another player or open a different file in the same player it sometimes works

ejk158

i posted this same prob a while ago, and someone sent me this registry file. just add it to your registry and it should work, it worked for me.

aviunlock.reg

eversor

numner one:

browse to the folder where your avi is located. create a new textfile throught right click menu. then select the textfile first and then the video-file. then try to delete it. it sometimes works.

number two:

share the folder where your avi is located and browse with another pc to the location and delete it (of course you must have the rights to delete it)

number three:

copy the path to your file (including filename) or just memorize it. then open up task manager (strg + shift + esc) and kill explorer.exe process. start a new task: cmd.exe. browse to the file dos-style and type delete filename.avi or delete "long filename.avi". whatever suits your needs or what you like. close cmd and start explorer.exe again.

But again these are not soultions but only workarrounds the problem is that windows trys to preview every damn video file even corrupt avis and then explorer exe srews it up. Use a regtweak to diasble this:

for example here: http://www.dvdrhelp.com/forum/userguides/100406.php

Have fun!

MfG.Eversor

+allan

Just close explorer and open notepad. Cick on FILE and navigate to the file you want to delete. Do NOT open it, just right-click on it and delete.

Monkeh

I usually click on the avi file, and as windows tries to get the snapshot, I quickly press delete and choose another non-avi file, then it deletes with no problems :D.

Chode
i posted this same prob a while ago, and someone sent me this registry file. just add it to your registry and it should work, it worked for me.

That's the reg thing I use....

This problem is especially prevalent in corrupt AVI's, where windows fails to make a thumbnail but keeps trying anyway :(