Internet Sharing in XP ?

im not sure if this has ben discussed or not but i cant seem to get my Sygate internet sharing program to work. now i dont know if its because win xp doesnt support that program or if windows xp has some wacky settings im forgetting about. if anyone has succesfully got windows xp to share the internet with another comp ( im trying for my laptop with win2k on it ) please leave a comment. if i cant get this to work then its format time :(

btw i heard win xp has a built in internet sharing feature, maybe i can use that :s

Yep, it has a built in internet sharing wizard..you *could* try that, I dont see why you wouldn't want to. I'm at work and I can't check for sure, but I believe if you get into My Network Places, you'll be able to run the wizard from there.

Actually, you would need 2 Network cards. One for the Internet, and one for your LAN. I'm sure you've done this, so just go to the Network Properties and right click on your LAN network card. There is a TAB in the properties called Sharing. Just click on that and check the internet sharing options. Reboot the client computer(The one who needs the internet connection) and everything should work great.

I actually think the Internet sharing in WindowXP is better then Sysgate. But in all reality a broadband/adsl router would be the best choice, and most secure.

ya i just read about that

problem is i only have 1 nic card in my desktop 1 card in my laptop and 1 hub thats why i got myself Sygate since i dont have the funds to dish out 150 bucks for a router even though that be nice :D

so anyone know if you can share the net with my configuration either through winxp directly or through a 3rd party program ?

Hmm. i dont think I'm exactly understanding you.

Ok, So you have a Cable/DSL connection correct? I'm assuming it has the RJ-45 Ethernet jack, and not the USB.

What you want to do is, Plug the Cable/DSL into the Hub, and then plug the 2 computers into the hub and be able to surf on thoes 2 computers?

Well first off, I'm not sure if Sysgate will act like a router and grab the IP from the Cable/DSL through the hub. So what you might need to do is, call your ISP and ask them for 2 ip's. You might need to give them both MAC addresses from the 2 machines. But I know down here in Florida, they charge an extra $4 for that a month.

I could be wrong, although I have never tried using Sysgate. I have however been in your situation where I had a hub, 2 computers and one internet connection. I pluged the dsl into the hub, but only the computer that had its MAC address registered to my ISP could surf the internet.

You might have to end us buying another network card. I believe www.Pricewatch.com has them for as low as $5. Your Homenetwork would be more secure to do it my way, rather then having your whole network exposed to the world. Casue, I'm assuming you have a netowork to transfer files between the 2 computers.

well i had sygate running on win2k before i installed xp and it was running fine

i didnt even have to reconfigure anything just installed sygate on one system with the Server instalation and as the Client on the other system. reboot. programs turn on. bang internet for both comps

well it doesnt matter, i really didnt like the childish gui of winxp so i went back to win2k and i love it like i did the first time i got it, i guess i gotta wait until microsoft releases another os before i switch :D

You don't connect the cable modem into the hub. You connect one NIC directly to the cable modem and the other into the hub. Then with your other computer(s) you need only one NIC, which you plug into the hub.

After that enable connection sharing and you're off. I have two computers on a network and both use one cable modem. It works perfectly.

I didn't like ICS on Me but I liked the seamlessness of XP's Internet Sharing. So when I'm using ME (which is becoming less and less) I use Sygate.

Alanb