• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

AOL over a network in WinXP

Question

Ren (Killshot)    0

is it possable 2 get dialup AOL 2 be shared over a network of 2 pc's?, all the ics I have tried still havent worked

4 answers to this question

YahoKa    0

If you have AOL you shouldn't be around computers anyways ;)

episode    629

I hate how people are so down on AOL. The email is second to none, and thats the only thing I use it for.

having an @aol.com email is much better than it being @socal.rr.west.com or something like that. especially when you are corresponding with people that are not very knowledgable about the net.

Tim Dorr    0

Yes people who aren't knowledgable becuase they are used to AOL and type timdorr when I tell them my address is timdorr@timdorr.com. Also, if you think that address is confusing, you need to be quietly shot :D :D :D :D

BACK ON TOPIC!....You might be able to do that if you used BYOA (Bring your own access, whereby you use an external ISP to dial up and then connect to AOL over that connection) and set up some sort of proxy server. However, I'm pretty sure you're only allowed to connect to one screen name at a time, so there is a limitation put forth by AOL, not the technology. :(

nemo    0

yeah... basically, once you have your computers networked, have one act as the internet sharing thing. Get an earthlink account, msn, or any other account where you use DUN (dial up networking). ya know, where it just has a user name, password, and phone number box. and you connect, and then it dissapears into the systray. once you have that, use the Home Networking Wizard to set up the internet on how you want it. then set aol to a TCP/IP (ISP/LAN) Connection, and you'll be set.