Xbox...Is It Worth The Money?

128 members have voted

1. 1. Xbox...Is It Worth The Money?

• Dude! It Rocks! Worth every penny.
    • Its ok, a few things here and there i don't like
    • It sucks , i feel like i've been ripped off.
    • I don't care. I have a PS2!
    • Stick To Your PC instead.

k i would appreciate a response from the yanks....er i mean north americans on the board who have purchased one of these babies. Do you think it was worth the money? Is Halo really THAT good? :ermm:

The reason i'm asking is that i've had one preorder on amazon for months now and i want to get peoples (owner's opinion in particular) honest opinion on it.

Please don't just say it sux or it rocks tell me what you like and dislike about it.

Thanks in advance.

Yeah it's worth it. I have had mine since Christmas. Halo is the best game ever. Halo has the best graphics ever. You look at the grass and it looks exactly like grass. There is nothing that compares to it. The hard drive makes loading time short. Halo has only a loading screen every level. But the levels are humongous. Each leverl is the size of Rhode Island. It plays DVD's the controller rocks anf for those who think it's too big, well, you know what they say about guys with small hands.

Only thing I really don't like about HALO is the same enemies are always in the same places, theres no random spawning so you always know what to expect and where to expect it... Which I suppose some people like that, but I don't.

For $300.00 get either the PS2 or X-Box. Hardly any amount of difference graphically (which some try to argue).. but hell, certain games look better on diff. systems. Its your money, buy what you want =)

I've got both...XBox does have better graphics, but the PS2 has more great games than the XBox has total. MS is new to this market and so it's expected for them to make more mistakes (i.e. they are not getting as many developers with console selling games).

The first thing people think of with the XBox is the great graphics...the first thing people think of with the PS2 is the great games.

Well from what I have read on other boards, and from my experience....

The controllers are rediculously big. Very bulky...some of the buttons are way too small. The xbox is a 2 year old computer. The processor is a 733 Celeron...the only thing uptodate is the video card...which is basically a Geforce3 Ti500.

Graphics don't make the machine, which is the biggest thing the xbox has. Halo is ok. Its mostly graphics though. The playablity isn't impressive. The game idea has been done before.

Whereas the Gamecube and PS2 are made from the ground up to be game machines. The processor may not be as high, but they are game-machine specific processors. The xbox processor is higher in speed, its not as powerful. So just because the xbox stats look better, it doesn't translate into games.

My personal preference is the PS2. I like the games, I think the controllers are the best of the bunch, and i can play all my old playstation games on it.

But thats me...

I'm not a guy who likes consoles. I'm a PC gaming guy and my friend and I have had this discussion a million times and it always turns into a little fight and then we say...."you know what? the console is just for people who want to play with friends and that kinda stuff. Sports games and final fantasy type of stuff. PC games are all single player and more immersive. You have to play it alone." So, if you want to have fun with friends, buy it. If only you want to play it 'cause you like consoles, buy it. Otherwise stick to your PC."

Oh yeah,

Get the XBOX. The two units are almost the same price and the XBOX can only get better. Getting the PS2 would be like paying Geforce4 TI prices for a Geforce3 TI 500.

Its a Celeron without its FSB artificially dumbed down to 100MHz. It has a fsb of 133mhz...a "mutant" celeron if you will. But a celeron none the less

Arguing which game machine to get is just like any arguement. There is no correct or incorrect opinion. You can say the same thing with pentium vs athlon, chevy vs ford, mac vs pc, linux vs windows, hyvee vs fareway (sorry....two local supermarkets. Most of you probably haven't heard of them)....If you ask a chevy guy which is better, of course he will say chevy. Same with a ps2 owner, an xbox owner, etc.

What I would do if i were you....rent each system and a bunch of games that you think look good or would be fun. And at the end of the week (or however long you rent the stuff) make your decision.

I would say if you are getting a system to play with a group of friends, the xbox would be the way to go. Its like the N64 (I still think that is the best multiplayer system.) But ps2 games are still fun with others, but you have to buy the four player adapter, which is 30 bucks.

I could care less if i can play a game machine over the internet. Thats what computers are for. And since the only dvd player i have is in the computer, the ps2 playing dvds out of the box is a big plus. And I guess the 30 dollars for the 4 player adapter evens out the price because of the 30 dollars you have to spend to watch dvds on the xbox.

The graphics do tend to look better now on the xbox, but like everyone knows, the ps2 is hard to program for, so there is a lot of room to grow graphically with the ps2. But I don't play the games because the graphics are good. As far as quality of games, I like sports games, and the ps2 is the better system for that hands down.

Yes the xbox does suffer from a lake of quality games, but so did the ps2 when it first came out. It remains to be seen if these future games for the xbox are any good. Whereas with the ps2, it already has a huge library of great games. You know the ps2 will have great games in the future.

Game playability? Yes Halo has awesome graphics...and yes the grass flows in the wind, but i think the game sucks. The replay value is in blowing up your friends and listening to them yell and jump up and down. But you can do that with games for the N64. Mario Cart and 007...gotta love the old systems! :D

Originally posted by arsekicker

Oh yeah,

Get the XBOX. The two units are almost the same price and the XBOX can only get better. Getting the PS2 would be like paying Geforce4 TI prices for a Geforce3 TI 500.

No - they are nowhere NEAR the same price over here in the UK - Xbox console on its own is ?299 without any games ($427 US), whereas the PS2 without any games is ?199 ($284 US) - I'd say thats a bit of a difference.

I still can never get over how much we pay for computer hardwar:(:(

• 3 weeks later...

i'd like to thank everyone that replied....got the xbox on launch day and i wasn't disappointed......only sucky thing is the high price of the games other than that so far so good.

ps2 rulz.

that is just like asing if the ps2 was worth it when it came out and the answer is yes. i am just too stuck on my ps2 to get an x-box

http://electronics.cnet.com/electronics/0-...636.html?subdir

This is posted on CNets website, confirmed by Microsoft and also printed in the latest issue of Computer Shopper. Are all these people lying? It's NOT a Celeron dude, get off it, its dead.

The one great thing I love about my Xbox is that I can put in one of my music Cd's or as many as I want, rip tracks off them to the hard drive inside and listen to them while I am playing my favorite game. I love it. I have a PS2 as well, and I like alot of the games for it too, but the Xbox is my favorite.

Jim

PS. My Athlon XP 2000+ is really a Duron pumped to run a 133FSB/266DDR...:dead:

Oh man....it IS a Celeron. Go to AnandTech and check out what they say. Its a Celeron (128KB l2 cache) with a 133mhz fsb. So its a mutant celeron.

Oh yep. Microsoft has ALWAYS told the truth. They NEVER lie... oh and they aren't a monopoly either. By the way...the easter bunny and santa claus are real, and the tooth fairy still goes around giving people money for their teeth. Come on!!! Cnet/zdnet's columnists write stupid stuff all the time...computer shopper? More ad pages then anything....

anandtech took the xbox apart...i'd trust that over anything MS says about it

Originally posted by superfula

Oh yep. Microsoft has ALWAYS told the truth. They NEVER lie... oh and they aren't a monopoly either. By the way...the easter bunny and santa claus are real, and the tooth fairy still goes around giving people money for their teeth

Add everything I say is logical and correct

I really like my XBox. I don't know. It really depends on the games, as everyone is saying. If you like at least three games that are already on the XBox, it's worth it to get the XBox. Some people like the games that are already on XBox; some don't. Most people who know about the Xbox and have already thought about getting it are probably hesitant because Xbox still does not have that many games, and not many genres of games. I got it two days after the North American launch (and I bought Halo for it right away). I got the Advanced AV pack, a second controller, DOA3, and Project Gotham Racing later on (about a week later). I really enjoy it. There is nothing like hooking the XBox up to your home theater, and hearing Halo in Dolby Digital 5.1 surround sound!!!

As a reviewer back in August said, when given a beta build of Halo to play around with, "After seeing Halo, the real world looks ugly." That pretty much sums up just how incredible this game is.

Originally posted by Hawkeye

As a reviewer back in August said, when given a beta build of Halo to play around with, "After seeing Halo, the real world looks ugly."

now imagine what will a reviewer say after he plays or sees DOOM 3 or UNREAL 2.

i voted "stick to your pc instead", and it's obvious why!

PCs are double/triple the price of the Xbox, even though the Xbox can handle more polygons than the PC, and at a higher speed (FPS). If you like games, go to a console. Simple as that!