Neowin's Official MLB 2004 Discussion

Man, not only did Maddux get rocked. I froze my ass off to watch the rest of the team blow chunks too. If 40,000 fans are risking frost bite, you'd figure they'd put a little more effort into it. The high point was Bill's opening pitch and it was all downhill from there.

On a side note: The ticket situation is f'ing unbelievable. 2 years ago I went to close to 30 games by just walking up and buying a ticket. This year, every home game is sold out except for a few "obstructed view" seats. The ticket brokers (read: Legal Scalpers) were charging $75 for an upper deck seat yesterday. I tried to get one of those new dugout seats by the lottery system the website implemented and was unsuccessful. However, the day after they went on sale there were no less than 10 auctions on eBay for those seats going for atleast 4 times the cost.

Great game today though I think. Barrett is shaping up to be our first hitting catcher in a while (2 HRs today) and Ramirez got his third homer in two days. Seems they may be starting to settle in a little. Good times.

I'm not ready to give up on Maddux yet, since the wind was blowing like mad yesterday. The strip mall thingy down the street from me actually had half their sign blown over by the wind.

If anyone is to blame for the loss, I'd look to Sammy. Sure his HR brought us back into the game, but that ball he lost in the sun literally cost us the game. If he catches that, there's one out. LaRue doesn't bunt, but say he gets on base. That puts it at one on, one out. Since he's no base stealing threat, the pitch sequence to Valentin is different and he may ground into a DP, fly out, whatever. Just a bad start to a key inning.

I'm not ready to give up on Maddux yet

i wouldnt either. Maddux is a scholar of the game. He settles for nothing less than perfection and will get his problems worked out. He had a start like this last year and ended up winning 16 games. He'll be just fine, he'll get his 15 wins for the 17th year in a row.

also, Braves wrapped up a 3-game sweep of the Marlins yesterday.. who says we arent gonna compete this year?

That was a great finish to the Braves and Marlins game...great slide by Jones on that last play.

indeed.. and looks like Chipper is going on the DL.. chance for Dwayne Wise and Mike Hessman to step up

damn cubs....i was so stoked for the sosa/alou walkoff homers, only to blow the next 2 games. our bullpen still has issues...

damn cubs....i was so stoked for the sosa/alou walkoff homers, only to blow the next 2 games. our bullpen still has issues...

However, look at today! Grand slam Derek Lee, homer and triple Ramirez (he's my favorite Cub), tons of hits, this is the offense we have had the past few games. It's just a shame that this was the only one that we won. However, we'll be alright.

I had tickets to todays game but gave them to a girl friend of mine and her parents since I couldn't go (during classes I couldn't miss). I officially hate her now, heh. I'll be there on Sunday though against the Mets, so no complaints.

also, Braves wrapped up a 3-game sweep of the Marlins yesterday.. who says we arent gonna compete this year?

I'd like to thank the Braves for that as well. I was getting tired of hearing about how "the Marlins are the least respected WS Champ but look at them at 8-1" I would attribute their recent schalaking of the Expos more to the Expos hitting being garbage since Vlad left than the Marlins pitching being stellar.

I'd like to thank the Braves for that as well. I was getting tired of hearing about how "the Marlins are the least respected WS Champ but look at them at 8-1" I would attribute their recent schalaking of the Expos more to the Expos hitting being garbage since Vlad left than the Marlins pitching being stellar.

me too man.. and i love how even after they get swept in Atlanta, Peter Gammons writes his column on the same topic

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/gammons/story?id=1785401

theyre not going to repeat. theyre not going to win the division. theyre not going to make the playoffs. they will hover around .500 and the fairweather fans will dwindle and the crowds will be back around 15,000 - 20,000 before the end of the summer. the stadium wont happen anytime soon either.

die marlins, die :)

i really wish i was in chicago this summer. gonna have to settle for watching the cubs play the dodgers...

they will hover around .500 and the fairweather fans will dwindle and the crowds will be back around 15,000 - 20,000 before the end of the summer.

I think that's being a little too generous. They averaged 15,000 a game all of last year. And that was with the bump in attendance close to the end of the season when they filled the stadium to 40,000+.

marlins fans are pathetic. yeah, the team worked hard and all that crap, but damn, they "as a organization" are so undeserving of 2 world series in 10 years or whatever.

Id like to say that the dodgers are even suprising me so far. Its hard being a dodgers fan some years, but this year they are working great, getting green to first to free up a spot for encarnacion was a great move as is letting lo duca get out from behind the plate every few games to spare his knees. **** who would think that the little catcher is hitting better than anyone else?

I think adding Bradley was a good move for LA. I know McCourt was criticized for not adding offense sooner, but by the time the sale went down all the hitters were off the market. I for one am glad they didn't get Konerko or Thomas from the White Sox. Konerko is like Burrell in that he has one phenomenal season and gets his pay raise. Now, let's see him put 2 or three together.

It's also nice to see Beltre performing like he probably should be. Hopefully they can keep it up all season. (Except when they play the Cubs of course)

I think adding Bradley was a good move for LA. I know McCourt was criticized for not adding offense sooner, but by the time the sale went down all the hitters were off the market. I for one am glad they didn't get Konerko or Thomas from the White Sox. Konerko is like Burrell in that he has one phenomenal season and gets his pay raise. Now, let's see him put 2 or three together.

It's also nice to see Beltre performing like he probably should be. Hopefully they can keep it up all season. (Except when they play the Cubs of course)

Yeah bradley changed the club around. Its about time old double play beltre as i liked to call him got his **** together, i guess the threat of AAA vegas fixed him :D

See like i said, bradley slaps one into left in the bottom of the 12th to get izturis home to win 5-4

What's going on with the Yankees? Are they finally turning to the latest NY team that loads up the team and can't win?

What's going on with the Yankees? Are they finally turning to the latest NY team that loads up the team and can't win?

Yes.

Oh, and six game winning streak for the Cubs.

i'm really impressed with the cubs right now. it took them a few games to get back into their groove, but right now they are playing as good or better than they were at the end of last season. the pictching is solid, even without prior, and the bats are coming through at the right moments.

Not only are the Cubs on a 6 game winning streak, but they've only allowed 5 runs in those 6 games. They've got 4 starters (Zambrano, Clement, Wood, Mitre) in the top 20 in ERA. Right now they are hitting well, pitching well, fielding well, and well that's about all you can do well. The part that's even better for me is that this is all without Prior, Remlinger, and Grudzielanek.

On a side note, it was nice to see ATL take another 2 from Florida. That's 5 of 6 this season. I thought the Phillies were going to challenge for the division but they haven't done anything and I'm not so sure they might all season without a change (Bowa).

of course, the top 4 teams in the central are all playing good, so the cubs haven't put any room between them and the other teams. i think the nl central is the toughest division so far.