(mac) Mail or Thunderbird

46 members have voted

1. 1. (mac) Mail or Thunderbird

• Mail
    • Thunderbird
    • Entourage
    • Other (Please specify)

Mail all the way :) it does everything I need and the .Mac integration is great.

haha, not forgetting iSync'ing too! :D

Why do people often refer to Mail, as 'mail.app' ? No offence, speedy, its not just you. ;) Just it quirks me like when people insist on using "MAC", afterall, all Applications are '.app' but no other app is referred to in this way... I'll still sleep @ nite - just curious.. If i were to hazard a guess, maybe its because people might not realize we are talking about an Application? if so i can kinda see the point, but when I read Safari, I don't instantly think of David Attinburgh! :p :laugh:

Mail.app because of the threaded messages :D

Amen to that, one of the most genius features I've seen in an eMail client :)

(edit) Oops, missed your post. Don't really know why I suffix the .app, I'll try not to from now on :p :D

Edited by SPeedY_B

I use Mail, but I have always called it Mail.app (search for Posts by NeoMayhem containing mail.app).

It is the best email app I have ever used, but that prototype IBM app looks better...

What do you guys mean by Threaded :huh:

It threads messages. I.e. If you send a message to me, then I reply, then you reply, then I reply, then you reply... Mail.app places the messages into threads, allowing a hierarchal view of the whole conversation. I believe it was introduced in Panther and it is a very useful feature for organization. Even if you don't have sort-by-thread activated, selecting just one of the messages will highlight in a lighter color all messages from the same conversation.

Neyo- People refer to Mail as Mail.app simply for clarification. If you told a PC user that you use 'Mail,' I am sure they would say something like, "Ya, I use email too, isn't it great?"

"No, but on my Mac, I use Mail"

"Oh ya, we have email programs too for PC"

"But you don't have Mail"

"Yes, we do have mail. It's called email."

Using an ambiguous term like Mail to refer to an application can just get plain confusing at times. I love the fact that Apple named it 'Mail,' it just makes sense. I have no idea what the hell 'outlook' has to do with electronic messages, but whatever. 'Mail.app' makes it clear that we are talking about a specific application. It would be the same way if Safari was named 'Internet' instead. People would refer to it as 'Internet.app.'

It threads messages. I.e. If you send a message to me, then I reply, then you reply, then I reply, then you reply... Mail.app places the messages into threads, allowing a hierarchal view of the whole conversation. I believe it was introduced in Panther and it is a very useful feature for organization. Even if you don't have sort-by-thread activated, selecting just one of the messages will highlight in a lighter color all messages from the same conversation.

Oh ok, thanks!

session:

There's nothing wrong with trying out thunderbird, but you need to ask yourself why you want to do that. If there's something that mail.app just won't do then looking at other clients is the obvious solution. If you're looking just to try something else, it can't hurt to poke around in Firefox because it's free. Just make sure you check the option to leave messages on the server in firefox and maybe BCC yourself on any replies. If you don't like it, you can move back over to mail.app without loosing any message (or having the hassle of re-importing).

Maybe you'll find that you use exactly the same features in both clients, but you just prefer the interface of one better.

everyone

I like mail.app. It does exactly what I want, and almost nothing I don't. The only option I wish it had would be to render ALL email as plain text/strip HTML and RTF formatted message no matter what. I might be a crazy old-timer but I think there are parts of the internet that should remain text-only forever (irc, email, and usenet), save for ways of 'encoding' messages to use them with those services (like yENC on usenet or BASE64 for email).

My needs are simple:

- send and recieve email over POP3/SMTP using "regular old plain-text" connections and over an SSH tunnel

- Compose and read encrypted, signed, and signed&encrypted email using public key encryption.

- Use the address book that came bundled with the OS, not your own proprietary beast

- Use keychain for storing passwords/certificates/private & public keys

- Respect the x-spam headers set by my mail server.

- be scriptable for easier message handling (including things like message colors), preferably not for 100% automated sending of messages though.

- Have a sane policy about launching and saving executable files (I have a minor complaint about mail.app here)

- Use the standard OS X widgets and generally follow the apple HIG.

Mail.app does all that flawlessly. If they fixed the "drag drop executable attachments to the desktop and not receive a warning" bug and added a "force-plain-text-email" option, and use maildir rather than mbox to store messages I think mail would be the perfect POP3 client. It works pretty well with IMAP in my limited experience, though I'd hardly consider myself an expert there. An option to "always send mail from this account" would be nice - but the current setup isn't all that bad either.

They could go one-step farther and link up mail.app settings with the command line "mail" application for unix godliness but that doesn't really bother me.

I like the extras that the current mail has as a result of being an OS X application:

- "detailed" information about contacts like who's online on iChat beside messages

- spam filtering is second to none - even if you server doesn't help you at all

- text-to-speech

- spell checking/auto complete

- drag drop manipulation, 'correct' keyboard shortcuts, etc.