Proper Windows Install

antally

I just had my WinXp Install go belly up (in the words of a support technician) can someone tell me the proper way to install drivers ect.

I need to format, and install XP,

Via 4 in 1's, Kyro II video drivers, DSL modem drivers, a mouse drivers, and numerous program ect.

in which order should I install?

thanks, Adam

PabUK

Sounds like you already know what you are doing simply by formatting, installing XP and then the drivers. I just wanted to say that you might not need to install all those drivers you listed, XP does a very good job of automatically setting most hardware up correctly. If it does and everything works, why install drivers, especially as most are not certified to work with XP yet anyway and so are likely to cause problems.

Malechai

The less drivers you install, the more stable your system will be. Why not just stick with the drivers WinXP installs for you by default? Theres absolutely no need for the VIA 4in1's in XP so you can skip those.

hmm..here.. to give you an indication, I haven't downloaded and installed any drivers other than my scanner and my webcam, and even then, thats only because Windows didn't detect and install them automatically. My comp has been running since installing XP and so far its solid as a rock.

My advice is don't install any more than you need to. I mean, really, why?

PabUK

Which is pretty much what I said. :D

I have to say I was shocked that XP managed to do a fresh install and have everything work from webcam to CD writer without any additional drivers. That is the way an OS should be, and one of the many reasons I think XP is a great OS.

Malechai

doh! You must've posted while I was writing mine :p :smart:

PabUK

lol, it happens to us all, very annoying isn't it!

Krome

PabUK and Spyder should get marry and get a room soon... cos you two are right for each other... :)

configure

Detecting hardware and install a driver for you is nice. But I think it should give user a choice once detect any hardware that to go ahead and install the driver or to leave it alone..

PabUK
Originally posted by Krome  

PabUK and Spyder should get marry and get a room soon... cos you two are right for each other... :)

:o

Malechai

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.. :o :o

hell :s

wanna be best man krome? hahahaha :p :p

PabUK

This is getting too weird, I'm outta here! :D

Malechai

rofl just kidding!:o