Windows XP Icons Site

Isaac

Hello, I want to create a site where people can download icons for their favorite programs (ICQ, Macromedia programs, Photoshop) that have been XPified with the new cool look. I think this would be really cool, and want to do it myself because i havn't seen it done yet.

I would love to do it but I don't know how to make the icons. I have been trying to do this using Freehand, Fireworks and Photoshop, and nothing seems to look quite right. I think i have the right tools, i just don't know how to make it look XP-like.

Any tips on how to achieve this would be great

Thanks,

Isaac

aco

Firstly, nice to see a new member, especially a fellow aussie ;)

Yes, this is a big problem with XP. All the old icons are "not detailed enough" to be shown well in large icons or tile view

(the latter of which i keep as my default view)

:( sadly, I think we will have to wait until new versions of programs come out until we see *nice* icons.

DjmUK

There are dozens of icon creation software - I use to create them myself. Go to this link to get the latest icon creation software (XP compatible too):

- http://www.impactsoft.com/

Of course there are dozens of others to choose from. The reason Freehand, Fireworks and Photoshop don't work is becuase they are too sophisticated for icon creation (although you can decrease the amount of colours used).

Hope this help :ninja:

PabUK

What about free icon editing/creation software? I have tried dozens but am yet to find a decent one.

Ironguy

www.wincustomize.com has tons of XP icons. Not sure if you need to have have IP (Icon Packager) or not.

Still, I'd be interested if you get an icon site up and going!:D

configure

You don't need Iconpackager to use those icon. They're all in icon format (.ico).

Isaac

Sorry, I must have not made myself clear.

I have GIF Movie Gear, which was created by (some place) with microsoft helping them. it can convert photoshop images directly into icons with alpha channel support. I can make heaps of sweet graphics (ask if you want to see) but i can't make anything that looks windows xp-like, no matter how many bright colors i use, it all looks good but doesn't fit in properly.

configure

Isaac, I would love to see the icon that you've made...