Does the NIC matter?

Question

Faction

Hey guys, ive had problems at startup with my DLINK nic, nothing huge, but it would lag for about a minute. Now i tried updating drivers,etc etc, but nothing would change it. So, i took my Compaq nic [sept 2000] and stuck it in, all went well.

So what im wondering, i know compaq stuff is crap, but does the type of NIC matter? I mean am i gonna notice and speed decrease- thanks alot for any responce

20 answers to this question

drewster2100

im not sure, but my realtek takes time to load, making pc unusable until it is finished and icons on desktop have flashed, i have a reg fix for this, but recently it just dont work for me, dont know why...

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESYSTEMCurrentControlSetControlSession ManagerMemory ManagementPrefetchParameters]

"EnablePrefetcher"=dword:00000005

go ahead and try, 5 is supposedly the best, ladr

Faction

Holy crap, thats the same problem i had. HMm.. is it worth reinstalling the realtek / dlink and using that reg patch?

Faction

Well guys, this is kinda important, i wanna get this settled tonight, does a NIC have anything to do with how much bandwith you get? Because if im not downloading slower, ill just leave the compaq.

MxxCon

as long as they are same rated speed (100/10mbit) difference would be like 1-5% between all decent cards. you won't notice difference on your inet connection cuase it's nowehre close to even 10mbit.

Jon

Erm are you sure this isn't just the NIC trying to obtain an address via dhcp, or log onto a domain / workgroup?

If a machine has a network card in, but its not connected to anything, I'd bet ?50 its gonna add 20seconds to the boot time.

Jon

nemo
Originally posted by Faction

Well guys, this is kinda important, i wanna get this settled tonight, does a NIC have anything to do with how much bandwith you get? Because if im not downloading slower, ill just leave the compaq.

as long as its a 10/100mbit card, you'll be fine :)

drewster2100

Holy crap, thats the same problem i had. HMm.. is it worth reinstalling the realtek / dlink and using that reg patch?

would i have to reinstall them to get the reg to work again, i do remember disabling it to test it, and used it afterward and worked great, ps its integrated, thanks, ladr

Faction

Well the compaq does the same now, i think the net cards lookin for sotmhing at boot or somthing. 1 to 2 minutes of time on both cards. I tried the reg patch. Didnt work. Just changed the value from 3-5.. nothin :

adam2001

Well if the card aint connected to anything it may add to the boot time like someone says. I dont use network cards so i dont really know what im talking about, but have you tried disabling it in your hardware profile as default, then enable once your computer has booted.

Tis a bit extra work but if your that bothered about it, its worth a try

drewster2100

Well the compaq does the same now, i think the net cards lookin for sotmhing at boot or somthing. 1 to 2 minutes of time on both cards. I tried the reg patch. Didnt work. Just changed the value from 3-5.. nothin :

maybe disabling and enabling it? i had 2 cards, did the reg patch and worked 2 xp installations ago..

mtgriffith

Which D-Link card do you have? I had trouble at work with the older DFE-530TX because there was not a driver for Windows 2000. Unfortunately the newer DFE-530TX which has a Windows 2000 driver has a cheaply made chipset that was unreliable at best.

Faction

DFE-530TX+, when i download the new drivers i cant seem to update my current ones. No setup, and the device managers "update driver" dosnt seem to work.

Ill try the reg patch again grif..

But this really annoys me.. i dont know what to do D:

mooker

Yeah, I'd go along with these guys on this.

Windows uses something called Automatic Private IP Address, or APIPA if you like acronyms.

What happens is that if you have a nic that's not getting an IP address from either hard-coding it or from DHCP, it will wait awhile to receive an IP address from DHCP. After that point, it will assign itself an IP address (one that is only valid on the LAN). So if you have two NICs, you might want to hard-code the one that's not getting your real IP (eg. give it 192.168.1.1 or something).

It also depends on the OS. Windows 98 takes a lot longer than, say, 2000 or XP when waiting for a response from the DHCP server.

mtgriffith

The newer model is shorter than the older one. It is only about an inch and a half (sorry I don't know the metric system :p ) tall. I think it has a Realtek (sp) chipset. I was sending these back like crazy. Unfortunately it was the one with drivers for Windows 2000.

I also remember that If the date on the drivers disk is older than 2000 then you have the older one.

Faction

Its windows XP, and at the moment i just have one NIC in there- the DLINK.

Is there any way to make it not asign an IP address untill connect?! or somting?! I hate waiting 2 minutes , sitting watching the screen.

drewster2100

i have a realtek, any hope for me, what about settings in TCP/IP properties?

Faction

you sure its not DLINK, xp defaulty uses realtek drivers

Vlad

If you're using windows xp, dhcp isn't the problem. Sounds like it could almost be a ip conflict, or an attempt to connect to a domain. Why dont you check your event log?

nomis_nehc

Hrmm, you must've missed it when I gave out the instructions to the other Neowinian to how to fix the problem. Basically, what you need to do is assign a fake ip address to WinXP.

Here's the instructions (damn, I sure hope I don't have to repeat this anytime soon again... grr)

1. Go into control panel.

2. Go into properties of your LAN or High Speed Internet connection.

2. Under the general tab, choose the properties of Internet Protocol (TCP/IP).

3. Tick "Use the following IP address" and...

4. IP address: 10.255.255.10

5. Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

That's it. You are done.

You know, perhaps if you given more information, like that you are using dial-up broadband, you could've got your answer sooner. :p

Faction

I FIXED IT :D:D:D

The solution was to turn off Workgroup in services. /me donces