• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Reasons to upgrade from 98se to xp

cbosdell    4

I am trying to convince my dad to upgrade from 98se to xp home (its cheaper and all i can afford) and need some good reasons for him. This is what me and some friends got so far. can you please help me get some more? Hes not extremly computer literate but i can translate and hes better than most. He just doesnt think xp is worth it.

Reasons to Upgrade to XP Home

1) Compatibility with latest programs/games. Many Programs and games are made for windows xp only now and upgrading will insure all new programs will work for at least 4+ years.

2) Windows XP is being continually updated with bug fixes and upgrades. For example, Windows XP Service Pack 2 will include many upgrades and bug fixes including a new popup blocker for Internet Explorer and an enhanced built in firewall

3) more advanced monitoring systems to allow you to make sure everything is moving smoothly. Ctrl Alt Delete is revamped to be much more informative.

4) You can sue the Windows Classic theme which looks EXACTLY like our computer currently looks like. :)

5) Remote Assistance - If we ever have computer problems windows xp users or microsoft support can connect to our computer to help fix it. Only if we allow them access though. Easy to instantly deny access if they do anything they shouldnt do on the computer as well.

6) System Restore - The System Restore feature of Windows XP Home Edition enables you to restore a PC, in the event of a problem, to a previous state without losing personal data files. System Restore actively monitors system file changes to record or store previous versions before the changes occurred. With System Restore, you never have to think about taking system snapshots as it automatically creates easily identifiable restore points, which allow you to restore the system to a previous point in time.

7) Compatibility Mode - If a program happens to be made for other than xp you can use this to make the computer work with the program

8) Uninstall - With this at any time you can down grade back to windows 98 SE if you are unsatisifed with xp.

9) CD Burning - Burn cd's easily with window xp's built in cd burner\

10) More stable - Very much less crashing with "Process Seperation". If a program crashes or does something its not suppsoed too most of the time it wont take the computer down with it.

11) Built on the new windows engine which provides the stability of windows 98se and 2000.

12) Built in .zip file handeling. Xp handles zip files by default allowing extra programs (such as winzip) to not be needed.

13) Windows movie maker - Make movies easily with this and add narraation, title cards etc to existing movies.

14) Better error messages - Error messages are more detailed most of the time allowing you to actually understand what is wrong with your computer.

15) There is also a boot option that can restore the computer to a last known good configuration mode where the last monitored settings that made the computer run good can be restored in the even that the operating system will not bootup,

16) Compatibility with NT File Systtem allows for better compression of files and better organization of files in the even that you need to find files fast.

17) Windows XP Has A shutdown option that will allow your computers tasks running in ram to be saved to disk so that you may continue where you left off before you used it. The Feature is Called Hibernation.

18) I will pay for it out of that $200.

19) If you wish for something other than windows classic theme u can get user made themes that u prefer better than Luna (Default XP)  or windows classic for free.

20) You can have multiple users with different settings such as desktop icons, windows themes, folders and installed programs even. Also there is a quick and friendly switch users screen so you can quickly move from user to user.

bangbang023    31

Stress the security fact. Point out how 98 iis still very vulnerable and the lack of support from MS for an antiquated OS means that you will bbe left very vulnerable to future attacks.

cbosdell    4

22) More Security - Windows XP is constantly recieveing updates and security fixes while windows 98se is not. Over time more and more security holes will be found and exploited in 98se and Microsoft will most likely not even bother to fix them or look into them. Overall XP is more secure and will be for a long time.

how does that sound?

X Statik Process    0

Besides your Dad saying that XP isn't worth it, is he stating any reasons for staying with 98se? I mean, is he afraid his programs won't work? Is it just the cost factor? Does he not think your computer has the proper specs for XP? Just curious.

cbosdell    4
Besides your Dad saying that XP isn't worth it, is he stating any reasons for staying with 98se? I mean, is he afraid his programs won't work? Is it just the cost factor? Does he not think your computer has the proper specs for XP? Just curious.

He used it at his workplace from November 2001-December 2003. He had a 1.2 gzh computer with 128 mb ram using the Luna Default Theme and he didnt like how it looked and he considered it much slower than win98se on our Athlon XP 1800 with 512 MB ram. He is/was unaware of windows classic and really didnt do much besides emailing, web browsing and making word docs on it and doing billing/invoicing.

I have offered to pay for it in the past although being 14 it is an extremly high cost being 10 weeks allowance basically and thats a LOT!

cbosdell    4

not meaning to double post but if anyone could write a sort of testimonal on xp and how its better than 98se it'd really help i think!

LordHatrus    0

Realizing of course there are even more reasons to switch to linux... :whistle:

But I don't feel like getting flamed today, so I'll stick my head out with that. :)

Tropical Dream    0
Realizing of course there are even more reasons to switch to linux... :whistle:

his dad is not computer literate...

why would you want to make his life harder?

cbosdell    4

well i got 26 good reasons and got a few friends to give me some short testimonials. Also i am gonna show hmi the ms flash movie on xp and it and just talk to him a bit about it otnight or tommorrow. WIth luck i will soon be using xp home or xp pro.

SirEvan    122
well i got 26 good reasons and got a few friends to give me some short testimonials. Also i am gonna show hmi the ms flash movie on xp and it and just talk to him a bit about it otnight or tommorrow. WIth luck i will soon be using xp home or xp pro.

off topic, i know...WAAAY off, but 98 SE must FLY on your system.. lol wasn't it designed for like 400mhz computers? and you're running an athlon 1800 with a ton of ram.

cbosdell    4
off topic, i know...WAAAY off, but 98 SE must FLY on your system.. lol wasn't it designed for like 400mhz computers? and you're running an athlon 1800 with a ton of ram.

its ok. I've been using this for 2 yrs tho so i'm used to this speed. I doubt xp will be much slower and proally maybe even faster.

Its faster than my old 50 mzh 32 mb ram win 98 comp tho. :blush:

Redestium    1

Only if all people could be made to see the light. There are far too many still running that really old 9x crap.

cbosdell    4
Only if all people could be made to see the light. There are far too many still running that really old 9x crap.

its not bad but its just plain old and i just am tired of having software not work and no updates and hearing about xp and using xp pro at school but not at home :(

98se is very good and secure but i think xp is just better.

sjiggag23    0

why do you want him to switch now? especially since he only uses email. unless you want to use xp on that computer too?

Steven    80

here's the most important one.

21. IT'S CURRENTLY SUPPORTED BY MICROSOFT

Win98 is a dead OS. It's no longer supported and no longer patched for security issues. Its old, outdated and should not be used any more unless you absolutely have no choice in the matter. Even then you're playing with fire.

cbosdell    4
why do you want him to switch now? especially since he only uses email. unless you want to use xp on that computer too?

its not just his computer. its the whole familys which includes me.

:rolleyes:

so i dont want to upgrade really for his sake as much as MINE.

people are too spoiled now adays with every family member having their own computer. :devil: :whistle:

oh and he doenst use email programs. He uses IE6 for everything on the comp now adays.

here's the most important one.

21. IT'S CURRENTLY SUPPORTED BY MICROSOFT

Win98 is a dead OS. It's no longer supported and no longer patched for security issues. Its old, outdated and should not be used any more unless you absolutely have no choice in the matter. Even then you're playing with fire.

Added as #27 :)

Hardice    0

I think the security and stability are the big things that i really like about Win XP over Win 98. I love not seeing the blue screen of death every two and half seconds. I never get it any more. Also another thing that shows the stability of win xp is the fact that my Computer Sci professor this semester ran his laptop the whole time with out rebooting it once. It is a true fact yes!

giga    46

Im running XP1800 with 512mb ram Windows XP Pro all visuals on and runs like a breeze. :) But you might want to turn off shadows under menus which can give a little lag. But still, if you turn on classic vs it will run even better.

Office 2000 works with XP.

cbosdell    4

thanks for the "testimonials everyone". really looks nice.!!!

giga    46

Good luck! :)

cbosdell    4

I am going to get my dad to read it right now or tommorrow morning. I'll lete everyone know how it goes :)

tang_tito    0

i'd say that 98se has the annoying "blue screen"

something i haven't seen in xp yet

btw, good luck :D

Hardice    0

If he gives reasons why not to get it tell use and we will help you come up with reason to counter act them. We are here to help out fellow mates :)