Mandrake 10 Install

unknown753

I've used Redhat 9 in the past solely for C++ Programming. Other than that im a WinXP ###### that would like to learn linux by starting off with Mandrake 10. I went to the Mandrake website (MandrakeLinux.com) and began downloading "Mandrakelinux 10.0 Official for i586 and higher". I'd like to make my laptop a dual boot with Windows XP and Mandrake 10 as my secondary (alternative, play around with, mess up, have fun with OS.) While im downloading Mandrak 10 from the FTP site I noticed that its at 1 GB so far. My question is, how would I split these files across multiple CDs? I read the README and the install.htm document and didn't notice anything discussing the topic. Any suggestions/answers appreciated.

Also, my filesystem is NTFS. Would Mandrake read across OSs?

Pink Floyd

1. the 1gb might be 2 iso files, so burn on 2 different cds

2. you will read ntfs but not write

To be able to write, you will need a special driver that cost money.. some internet company sell it...

google it

unknown753

After the download is complete it will be over 2GB, my question is how would I know which files to put on which CD?

[idkfa]

Firstly, you'll need the iso images to burn cds.

Reading NTFS is no problem, Mandrake's kernel should support it. Writing NTFS can be done via captive drivers.

You may also have to compile your own kernel using various ACPI fixes, depends on your notebook.

chaicup

Hi there,

Are u sure yer d/ling 1gig so far?...coz maybe yer d/ling he dvd version, although i didnt know you could d/l that...if not..i cant imagine a normal ISO-image would be over 800 Mb at least. I dont know how to split those files.. :s

Yes, thats a new feature of MDK10, in earlier versions you could only read NTFS filesystems..since MDK10 you can now even write on NTFS...but if i am not wrong thats an option in Linux itself..so there u go :-)

I hope sumbody else can answer yer first question...good luck!

unknown753

As of right now, its at 1.14GB. Insane I tell you, INSANE! DVD Version? Possible. Although I didn't notice anything of ISO Images from MandrakeLinux.com.

unknown753

I have an idea, what if I install Mandrake without burning the files to a CD? Since it will (I assume) read from an NTFS filesystem. Can I install this by leaving all of the files on my WinXP Partition and starting it off with a floppy?

Also, I have a 40GB HD which isn't that much. How much space would Mandrake require? I won't be installing much on my linux partition besides Mandrake of course and a couple small programs.

Southern Patriot

What no one here seems to be reading is that Unknown753 has been downloading the Mandrake 10 Official version, which is not available in ISO's yet (except to club members). The torrent link that someone posted was for the Community version, not Official. The Official version should be available to non-members soon.

unknown753

I'm downloading the Official version (I personally didn't know that the Offical version was different from the Community version). I'd still like to install the OS by having setup get the installation files from my WinXP partition though. I've been reading and it seems that i can create a custom .img file to write to a floppy and boot up with that, that would allow me to install it the way i'd like to. I'll try this out and let everyone know how it goes. If anyone has any other ideas or suggestions please let me know.

markjensen

Mandrake and Fedora (possibly others) allow a "from hard drive" install. However, it is limited to Linux filesystems or from a FAT parititon. Not NTFS (at least as of a year or so ago).

Also, it sounds like you are downloading the wrong stuff. Which link(s) exactly did you click to get your .isos?

Southern Patriot

The Community version was more like a Release Candidate version, where the Official is the final release.

Southern Patriot
Also, it sounds like you are downloading the wrong stuff. Which link(s) exactly did you click to get your .isos?

He's NOT downloading the ISO's, that's the problem. Go back and re-read his posts. He is downloading the individual files from one of the mirrors.

markjensen
I'd still like to install the OS by having setup get the installation files from my WinXP partition though. I've been reading and it seems that i can create a custom .img file to write to a floppy and boot up with that, that would allow me to install it the way i'd like to.

What you are talking about is having the Windows Boot Loder (via editing C:\boot.ini) handle booting Linux or Windows. That is not the installation.

It must be installed first. And that is using the .isos to make CDs, or to borrow CDs from someone, or to do the Hard Drive install from a FAT or ext2 or ext3 partition.

unknown753

For christs sake it's one problem after another. What a way to begin on my quest to learn Linux. I'll delete the 2 1/2 GB or so I painfully downloaded and get the ISOs being that I can't do a "from harddrive install".

My second question is as follows. I downloaded Partition Magic 8.0 to create the partition for Mandrake. I selected the "Install another operating system" option and get "The selected disk contains one or more partitions which cannot be moved. To complete this task use the operations menu rather than a wizard." Thing is that im not using the wizard! :-(. any help?

jago_lfn
2. you will read ntfs but not write

To be able to write, you will need a special driver that cost money.. some internet company sell it...

google it

Last i checked ntfs write support was in the current 2.6.x kernels somewhere in filesystems in the config. It was in the 2.4.x as expermental. correct me if i'm wrong.

GotoLamia

Hay man... I would recomend a Defreag first... then Partition it... I found it easier to install MDK 10 when i just left the free space, and told the linux installer to use Free space on existing windows partition... ore what ever that option is... MDK 10 is SWEET much better than 9.2 IMO

Chill out, be Groovy,

--GotoLamia--

markjensen
For christs sake it's one problem after another. What a way to begin on my quest to learn Linux. I'll delete the 2 1/2 GB or so I painfully downloaded and get the ISOs being that I can't do a "from harddrive install".

My second question is as follows. I downloaded Partition Magic 8.0 to create the partition for Mandrake. I selected the "Install another operating system" option and get "The selected disk contains one or more partitions which cannot be moved. To complete this task use the operations menu rather than a wizard." Thing is that im not using the wizard! :-(. any help?

Ummm... No need to stress out.

Most Linux sites have instructions telling you what to download, and to burn to CD. It sounds like you jumped in, and ended up in the wrong place. No big deal.

And, as far as needing space for Linux. That should be pretty apparent, given you are installing a new OS to co-exist with your existing one. That information is also available by reading the webiste, or by asking us. We are more than happy to answer questions. Everyone here had their first time installing Linux, and mistakes are always made.

As far as Partition Magic goes... I don't know that program, but I am sure that you will have some other people help and post answers to that part. :yes:

kongit

I don't know about mandrake 10, but 9.2 does an excellent job of resizing a ntfs partition on my computer. I start the 9.2 install and after it resizes and writes it I kill the install and install something else.

unknown753

You're right, I shouldn't stress out over something like this you have to admit, 2.6GB is A LOT to just delete. I'm on my merry way to locate a Mandrake 10 ISO Image. I'll leave my setup the way it is and I read a couple posts up that I can have Mandrake 10 install itself on the free space available? I'll read up on creating a partition for it.

If anyone can help me out with my Partition Magic hard times please do.

markjensen

I would not worry about "creating" partitons with Partition Magic.

Just make room (2 to 10GB, depending on how much you want to install and do with Linux). The installer will partition them to decent default values. (Y)

shimon

OK if u want the iso imgs get them from ebay for $1 and u get 2 bonus cds and its the offical edition

Nichotin
Last i checked ntfs write support was in the current 2.6.x kernels somewhere in filesystems in the config. It was in the 2.4.x as expermental. correct me if i'm wrong.

That write support is incomplete. you can only write to whats there already, no delete, make directories etc. I'd say its worthless in its current state.

Full read/write support for NTFS under linux: http://www.jankratochvil.net/project/captive/--

shimon

or wait for kernel 2.7 or 2.8 it should be out by theen