Mandrake 10 Install

markjensen

OK.

I just rebooted and verified this (I needed to switch to my updated kernel I installed yesterday, anyhow) ;)

Anyhow, I verified that "e" allowed me to edit, "a" allowed me to append, and "c" allowed me to go to command mode.

Are you using GRUB? Or LILO? I suddenly thought that we haven't confirmed you use GRUB. :whistle:

[EDIT: and I don't know about LILO options, sorry] :no:

unknown753

As far as i've read from this thread (on this page) please correct me if i'm wrong here.

LILO - The bootup menu that allowes me to select an OS to boot into.

GRUB - The desktop shell (basically KDE?)

If I can use 'c' to enter the command mode to enter "singleuser" from GRUB, when exactly would I have to press 'c'?

Searched Google for my answers first but not finding anything resourceful (yet).

Ruciz

Unknown753: GRUB and LILO are both bootloaders (sorry for misleading you) LILO is text-based, GRUB is interactive (mouse support, better graphics) I would try holding 'c' to access the terminal, then trying passwd to change your root password. If all fails, I would just reinstall mandrake and not forget your password!

unknown753

Why do I bother?

I'm guessing I have GRUB because it's a GUI boot screen but I don't have a mouse pointer. It's basically a screen with the mandrake wallpaper and the options "Linux, Linux-fb, Windows, Floppy and some other option".... I found the following article: http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/R...ing-single.html

Followed it but STILL cannot get into this "singleuser" mode. :no:

markjensen

Mandrake defaults to LILO.

You would have had to select GRUB, I think to have installed it. :(

The RedHat docs would have problaby been for GUB (their default)

Have you googled for LILO & singleuser?

markjensen

A bit of a quick google from here at work shows that you might want to boot of your CD-ROM and enter "linux rescue" to boot the basic kernel. I also saw mention of "linux single".

If you search along those lines with LILO as a keyword, you will likely find a way to boot your machine into singleuser mode and be able to reset your root password.

unknown753

I tried linux rescue but that simply directs me to the installation process (it ignores rescue and takes linux as a way to start the setup). I did get to the command line that started with "boot" when I tried entering singleuser mode with installation CD1 but it says thats an invalid command or something similar.

unknown753

I just reinstalled Mandrake, changed the password and seems to be working fine *knock on wood*. My only question now is, are you ready? are you ready? I don't know but i'll ask anyway.

markjenson was kind enough to be answering my "noobie" questions but I cannot grasp the concept of this USB CD Burner Drive. Any guides as to how to get my USB Burner (connected through a Belkin USB 2.0 PCMCIA Adapter) to work? I noticed that my drive is somewhat recognized because "cdrom2" is under /mnt/ however even with a CD inserted, it will not list any files.

unknown753

Oh my god, I think I figured it out on my own. It was listed as "scd0" (I figured this out when I restarted the system so it can detect the burner). I then realized that by right clicking on the desktop I can create an icon to mount/unmount the Burner and that's what I did. So I then inserted a CD, mounted the drive and wow... I got it working. Thanks to everyone that helped me and my silly questions.

slimshady89

I have LILO and I want to switch to GRUB just for hte sake of it... is it easy? cause I dont want to put much effort into it

unknown753

Switching to GRUB is easy, go to System Configuration. Select Boot, Bootloader and change "Bootloader to use" to whatever you desire. That's how I see it, if i'm wrong someone please say so.