Microsoft Natural Multimedia Keyboard

.:: Introduction ::.

My first review here, 2 days ago I bought a keyboard to replace my Microsoft Natural Internet keyboard which somehow act strange and unfixable :(.

Anyway, I ordered this keyboard after seeing Microsoft website and again, I choose Natural over standard, as it benefits me in typing.

.:: Price ::.

AU$ 88

.:: Impressions ::.

My 1st impression is of course it's features. Being a multimedia keyboard, you get all these play/pause, stop, forward, backward, volume up/down and some essential quick access key like to My Documents, My Pictures and My Music, also features internet buttons like Mail, Messenger and Web/Home which is used to open a browser and loaded your default start page, imo, these buttons on top of the keyboard is very useful, also the usual F1 thru F12 key got some extra features, a new button called F lock is to activate the extra features. Press New, Open, Spell, Save, Print in any application like Microsoft Word, Notepad and etc does the function! Press Forward, Reply, Send in email program like outlook express is also the same results, it does the requested action from the user who press the specific button.

The 2nd impression is the smooth keypads which results in better typing.

The 3rd impression is of course the design, I got the Graphite tops instead of the blue one, although I like the blue one more than the graphite, I then have to go with graphite as it's the only color available by the time I purchase, not bad! since it's closely matches my Microsoft Intelli Explorer mouse.

.:: Packaging ::.

A great design of box, I wish I can capture a photo of it, shows how professional the graphics designed on the box for this keyboard really intends to be, for multimedia user. Opening the package, it's got usual protector some extra inner packaging and the usual new keyboard plastics along then I find a manual with the CD for the driver installation. Overall a neat package!

.:: Compatibility ::.

The Multimedia button like Play/Pause, Stop, Forward and Backward compatible with Winamp 5.0 + and any multimedia player program like Windows Media Player and etc.

.:: Score ::.

9/10

post-104-1082665406.jpg

Ah, I love them, I keep a stockpile of natural elites, I tend to go through them every couple of months :)

Best keyboard every made, takes awhile to get used to it, but afterwords, you can never go back.

only get a natural keyboard if you've used one before and like it. i personally cant stand them.

Use it for at least a week before you judge it (Y) It took me a while to get used to it, but now my wrists actually hurt if I use a normal keyboard for more than about 10 minutes.

I can still use normal keyboard at reasonable type speed, but then again, it's important to still get yourself to use normal keyboard at some occassion. Because when you get into job/colleges/universities, they don't provide you a natural keyboard for typing, so it's important for you to be familiar enough with both type :)

Use it for at least a week before you judge it (Y) It took me a while to get used to it, but now my wrists actually hurt if I use a normal keyboard for more than about 10 minutes.

Exactly, I would reccomend using a natural keyboard for at least two weeks before giving up on them.

I used to hate them, but now, I can't use a computer without one.

I guess there's a big disadvantage with this keyboard - it's extremely hard to go back, to a flat one, those just suck now imo :)

I actually lose about 20wpm when going back to a flat keyboard, I could never go without my $15 ms natural elite keyboards

It's not that hard for me to switch over from natural to normal, since I also use normal keyboard for my 2nd computer, during the absentees of my natural keyboard while I wait for almost 2 weeks, I used the normal keyboard. Though it's better with Natural, all I can think of is just to use the keyboard until I can buy the natural keyboard again.

I don't type fast enough to use natural lol. nice review tho, I used a natural keyboard for a time and couldn't get used to it.

I have that keyboard, and I like it alot. The only thing that I don't like about it, and again, the only thing, is that F Lock is default on. You have to edit the registry to have the default F1-F12 keys. But, thats not a big deal at all. Great keyboard.

Hey, I want to know how to disable the F Lock key via registry, can you let me know ? :D

Here you go nXP_151

This basically swaps it round so that it acts as default as though F-Lock is pressed.

Hmmm it wouldnt let me upload as a zip file? Any ideas why?

I've sent u a PM, if not here is the reg values, just copy and paste to make your own reg file

Lock Flip

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Keyboard Layout]
"Scancode Map"=hex:00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,19,00,00,00,3b,00,3b,e0,3c,00,08,e0,\
  3d,00,07,e0,3e,00,3e,e0,3f,00,3f,e0,40,00,40,e0,41,00,41,e0,42,00,42,e0,43,\
  00,43,e0,44,00,23,e0,57,00,57,e0,58,00,58,e0,3b,e0,3b,00,08,e0,3c,00,07,e0,\
  3d,00,3e,e0,3e,00,3f,e0,3f,00,40,e0,40,00,41,e0,41,00,42,e0,42,00,43,e0,43,\
  00,23,e0,44,00,57,e0,57,00,58,e0,58,00,00,00,00,00

Undo

"Scancode Map"=-

I have this keyboard too. I love it. Smooth typing. Extra buttons on top and configurable. Works will foobar, winamp. Best keyboard I ever had. I need a natural keyboard now. its easier on my wrists. I hope they make this wireless soon.

Hey, do let me know what do you think of the wireless version one if you bought it, maybe post review of it ? Cheers! :D

Here you go nXP_151

This basically swaps it round so that it acts as default as though F-Lock is pressed.

Hmmm it wouldnt let me upload as a zip file? Any ideas why?

I've sent u a PM, if not here is the reg values, just copy and paste to make your own reg file

Lock Flip

"Scancode Map"=hex:00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,19,00,00,00,3b,00,3b,e0,3c,00,08,e0,\
 ?3d,00,07,e0,3e,00,3e,e0,3f,00,3f,e0,40,00,40,e0,41,00,41,e0,42,00,42,e0,43,\
 ?00,43,e0,44,00,23,e0,57,00,57,e0,58,00,58,e0,3b,e0,3b,00,08,e0,3c,00,07,e0,\
 ?3d,00,3e,e0,3e,00,3f,e0,3f,00,40,e0,40,00,41,e0,41,00,42,e0,42,00,43,e0,43,\
 ?00,23,e0,44,00,57,e0,57,00,58,e0,58,00,00,00,00,00

Undo

"Scancode Map"=-

You can also change this setting in the IntelliType software. Man I love Microsoft MultiMedia keyboards, they're so easy to clean out if you spill something in them.

I've been looking for something to replace my aging MS Natural Pro keyboard that I bought back in 99. Maybe this will be it.

I absolutely love my natural keyboard, I have used them for the past 4 years and I have trouble using regular keyboards. The only thing that would make the natural keyboard better is if I could get one with a dvorak key layout so I don't have to change it back and forth when a friend wants to type something and needs to look at the keys to see what they are typing.

• 2 weeks later...

I strongly recommended this keyboard, it's very nice! really!