• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Media Center

Fred Derf    217

Are we reviewing things for the benefit of Neowin members or are we just driving traffic to your site?

Ah, the great mysteries of our time...

EDIT: 8 posts so far and 9 links to your website. I guess we have our answer...

ban_him.jpg

Edited by fred666

skullbox15    0

Fred, why would I go to the trouble of writing all that up and posting it just here. wouldn't it make more sense to put it on the web where not just people in this forums can view it; and don't tell me that it doesn't belong here, its a review by me for others. Nuff Said, QUIT BEING A HATER!

LiGhTfast    6

Cheers skullbox15 this media center review looks good :)

spIdeZ    0

Sorry, but that was the worst review I have ever seen :o There is no information at all and way way too short.

What about reliability, ease of use, how the listings look, the quality of the recording, how it compares to other software, what has improved since the first version came out and what will likely be coming out later, hardware compatibility, do other remotes work with MCE, etc etc. And that's just off the top of my head.

Also, you say it cannot compare to dedicated sets such as TiVo yet you don't even explain why!

Furthermore, why does it have such high requirements? People run software such as Sage and BeyondTV with hardware encoders like the PVR250 and it is fine with like a Pentium 2 400.

Edited by spIdeZ

Fred Derf    217
Fred, why would I go to the trouble of writing all that up and posting it just here.  wouldn't it make more sense to put it on the web where not just people in this forums can view it; and don't tell me that it doesn't belong here, its a review by me for others.  Nuff Said, QUIT BEING A HATER!

This section is new and the rules may still be in flux but I got the impression that hot linking to reviews hosted on other sites would be "tolerated if necessary but not necessarily tolerated".*

*to paraphrase former Canadian Prime Minister William Lyon Mackenzie King

skullbox15    0
Furthermore, why does it have such high requirements? People run software such as Sage and BeyondTV with hardware encoders like the PVR250 and it is fine with like a Pentium 2 400.

There is noway a P2 400 would run as a media center. You could watch live TV if you closed pratically everything else, but there is noway you could record and pause live TV with such a slow CPU.

Yvo    0

I think I have to agree that a p2-400 would NOT run well as a media center otherwise everyone today would have a media center hooked up to their tv.

However you could have gone into detail a little better. You didn't even touch on the other Media Center features. It seemed like this review was a little rushed.

Constructive criticism is only to help you not to ridicule you :)