Compaq Tablet PC

compaqpc111202_big.jpg

49082.jpg

Price: orginally purchased ~$2,000 (including DVD/CD-RW and dock)

(Y)'s

XP tablet PC editon (comes with windows journal and other bundled software)

Transmeta Processor @ 1Ghz (232 MB ram)

light weight

adjustable swiviling keyboard. easy to fold and unfold. (the monitor still holds it's position after 2 years of abuse.)

Nvidia 16MB Geforce 2 Go video card.

30 GB Hard drive

stero speaker, 2 usb ports, eathernet, telephone line, and external VGA.

built in wireless antenna @ 11mbps

compact flash and PCMCIA slot

depending on how you want to hold the tablet, the screen adjusts to the position you are holding it.

you can use the pen as a mouse.

(N)'s

i never had a problem with this computer. nothing on the hardware side has ever failed me nor the software side.

but the using the pen is a little tricky and takes a lot of patiantce, you're better off using mouse that's on the keyboard.

Other:

this is a very handy tablet PC and i've always enjoyed using it. now it's found its place in the living room of our house. which is what i'm using to post this review right now.

the battery had failed to charge anymore, but it's 2 years old so i expected it to die.

:uberhump: When i get enough money, that's exactly what I want to get!

:yes: you will love it, this is an excellent piece of hardware and i don't say that a lot about compaq

I've always wanted to get this particular Tablet PC. The DVD drives are external right?

I remember thinking about bidding for one on ebay but if they don't come with a CD drive then you're pretty screwed if you want to re-install etc which i'd definitely want to.

I've always wanted to get this particular Tablet PC. The DVD drives are external right?

I remember thinking about bidding for one on ebay but if they don't come with a CD drive then you're pretty screwed if you want to re-install etc which i'd definitely want to.

:yes: the drive is external. i dont know what the different choices are now, but ours is a DVD and a CD-RW combo.. i don't know the exact speeds though

:yes: the drive is external. i dont know what the different choices are now, but ours is a DVD and a CD-RW combo.. i don't know the exact speeds though

Are they expensive to purchase on their own? As far as I know they're pretty over priced for external drives. Can you use any old external drive hooked up to the parallel port/usb port?

@ cream. i've never tried a 3rd party external drive, but the one that does come with the compaq (uknown price, came w/ it bundled) it's USB, but it also has a little .. just look at the picture :laugh:

@ doug. 2 years ago it was $2,000 w/ the external drive.

@ pulse. yup it's the transmeta, you guys have to read the review. it's 1 Ghz, i guess it performes well, i've never used a 1ghz computer w/ a different processor. it's a little slow sometimes, but i think that's because of the memory (232 MB).. it is a tablet pc, so 1Ghz is excellent.

edit.. forgot the pics.

see that little hole next to the usb port? thats where you plug in the external drive. the drive is somewhere in the closet, to lazy to get it out.

tablet.JPG

more pics.

http://www.venezian.net/images/tablet1.JPG

http://www.venezian.net/images/tablet2.JPG

http://www.venezian.net/images/tablet3.JPG

Edited by Vice King

It looks stunning for a 2 yr old laptop, I must say. What model is it? I was looking at the Sharp with transmeta not long ago. Decided against it though. Didnt like the screen. Was appalling.

My college is looking into buying the updated version of these for the next freshman class. They are now branded by HP and have a Pentium M processor, 512 Mb Ram, etc. Sweets stuff. The current price is $1800 - $2200

The IT dept. might even let me demo the new model :ninja: