Win XP: Fresh install OR New install?

A simple question. I have Win2000, and it runs pretty fine :). I want to install WinxP instead of Win2000. Is it better to install XP OVER 2000 (upgrade) or making a fresh install (new partition or just clean Win2000 and put XP)?

In term of efficiency and so on, is it better a fresh install or a simple and faster upgrade? I should say "fresh install" but is it REALLY better?

If u know... I'll apreciate :D

It is quicker and easier to go for the upgrade, but I wouldn't. I had the same choice recently - upgrade 2K or fresh install. I chose fresh install and I am glad I did because when the XP registry got corrupted 2 days ago (stopping XP working at all) I just booted into 2000 and used it to look for help on the internet and to fix the problem as both my partitions are NTFS.

If you can be bothered with reinstalling and configuring everything, go with a fresh install, it is nice to have the failsafe if XP ever fails.

1st of all if you run an upgrade then your C:WinNT folder will contain the WinXp files whereas with a fresh install your folder will be C:Windows.

Obviously this doesn't make a difference, but it can bugger up the registry files.

I would always go for the full fresh installation as this is clearer the safer side, and you can be sure that you won't get any problems.

Don't forget to wipe you HDD of system files via a quick format, or create a new partition and store your files on there while installing.

But anyway, I would always go for the fresh installation :ninja:

I would definetly suggest going with a fresh install.

I had the choice a few weeks ago, and with all the extra effort required to backup and move data around, I opted for the upgrade route. Just too lazy I guess. :p

Used it for a couple hours, and couldnt believe how much slower it was compared to the clean install i had done on another partition to test it out. Also noticed some weird program errors that I don't care to think about.

Bottom line, if its possible, do a clean install. Your brain will thank you for it.;)