devldr.exe errors

baphomet_irl

im runin XP 2600, and for the most part it is stable, but sometimes (usually when it'f left idle) i get 'devldr.exe' ('end now')

type error that actually forces me to hold down power button for 5 secs to turn off/reboot - even using the 'log off' or 'shutdown' in task manager wont work :s.

I was just wonderin if anyone has any idea what might be causing this.

any help is much appreciated

Malechai

Thats a file from Creative (built for MS) for your Soundblaster. Try deleting the file, removing the sound device from device manager and rebooting, letting windows reinstall.

I dont know what else to suggest. maybe someone else has something? :s

Marshalus

Format C: :p

baphomet_irl

i think u might be right - i spent ages trying to get all 4 speakers workin properly in XP - eventually i used win2k drivers...

could i get away with jus deleting the file - i mean is it for useless stuff such as environmental effects for music - or would it actually effect my EAX in games?

thx for the help

:)

Andrew T

I had the same problem with XP Build 2505.

What I did was download the driver again from Windows Update,open up the ZIP file in Winzip,extracted devldr32.exe into the Windows/System32 folder,overwriting the original file.

Ever since doing that,I have never had the problem again when restarting,logging off or shutting down Windows XP :)

Andrew

baphomet_irl

oh yeh

SoundBlasterLive! Value

lplp777

No No ....don't format your hard drive.

do a search for the devldr.exe file, this is the easiest way to find it. I think the file is located in system.32 area.

Cut the file from that location and paste it in you windows start up folder. Reboot you computer. Ta daaaa... . No more problems.

This file is a creative file, XP does not like to have any file other than those that belong to it. I am not telling you to do this with other files. Just the devldr.exe.

Malechai

i'm curious if lplp's suggestion worked for you baphomet?

baphomet_irl

k ill try that next time it starts crashing - its been stable for about 5 hours now eheh

thx for all ur help peeps.

:D

baphomet_irl

btw djm - i only started getting those errors AFTER i used the update.....

DjmUK
Originally posted by baphomet_ie  

btw djm - i only started getting those errors AFTER i used the update.....

oh, I haven't been able to install the update yet :( there's a problem during installation.

lplp777

This really works.

Here is a temp fix for the above problem untill Creative get there drivers sorted, a few others have tried it and it seems to work ok. Thanks to Scomea@lycos.com:

Here is the fix:

I managed to get rid of the boot delay,shutdown delay, and error message by moving a file called devldr32.exe (or devldr.exe) from winntsystem32 to start menuprogramsstartup. It boots a lot faster and the SB still works perfectly

Check out the following MS article about this problem. It's a known issue with Soundblaster and Win2k

http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/ar...s/Q296/8/38.ASP