An Idea for a Space Probe (SETI)

Hi Everyone,

Last night while trying to get to sleep, for some reason I began to think about the different space probes earth has sent to other planets etc.

I came to Voyager (1&2?) and thought about the fact that after all these years, they are now actually "somewhere" near the ort cloud.

And then for some reason I began to think about Aliens, and the Search for them and their intelligence.

And My brain kind of combined the two into a concept for a new SETI tool.

1. Take a Space probe, even as simple as the Voyager carrier.

2. Outfit the probe with the ability to receive radio signals from sources other then earth.

3. Fit the probe with SETI Software (something like that)

4. Give the probe the power and computing resources to be able to sort, just like the SETI software here on earth, through radio signals.

5. Beam any viable signals to earth.

Now this probe really comes into its own once its really far out of course, because we would receive any signals that voyager may pick up while still in the system.

After alot of years, the probe may pick up some signals. Voyager is testament to the fact that their is technology available that can stand the test of time.

What if we updated the hardware, with new batteries, and maybe an Ion thruster, and set a few of them off in different directions.

The probe could be built by a SETI organisation, and launched by the US or russians.

What does anyone think?

The only obstacles I can think of is money.

Quite expensive?

But the technology is there right?

Cheers everyone.

Go easy on a dreamer.

if i understand what your saying, i don't think it would find anything:

that ort cloud is about 1/2 a light year from earth. this may seem alot but the closest start is many light years away(not sure how many exactly) and the nearest plants are probably many thousands if not millions of light years away, and a closer 1/2 of a light year isn't much. and if a proboe could get far, it would take many years to get there, and a long time to get signals from it.

NASA.....I'm not sure.....people says NASA never make it to the moon...

and some say they never made it in the first place....with people....

You know the funniest thing about SETI? So, we're searching the skies looking for an alien signal, because it's assumed an intelligent race would broadcast a signal in their own hope for finding other races. BUT, we humans aren't doing it. We sent a few probes off into space, but we don't submit a signal. I find it kinda funny. I think if we are gonna be serious about it, we should send a signal, maybe another race will detect it with THEIR reciever. :yes:

You know the funniest thing about SETI?  So, we're searching the skies looking for an alien signal, because it's assumed an intelligent race would broadcast a signal in their own hope for finding other races.  BUT, we humans aren't doing it.  We sent a few probes off into space, but we don't submit a signal.  I find it kinda funny.  I think if we are gonna be serious about it, we should send a signal, maybe another race will detect it with THEIR reciever.  :yes:

Ever tuned into a radio station? Yes, those radio waves you hear are simultaneously being broadcasted away from the earth too ;)

Ever tuned into a radio station? Yes, those radio waves you hear are simultaneously being broadcasted away from the earth too ;)

wonder if we have some alien rae jamin to our music? :punk: :alien:

:rolleyes: All very well, but ... the Aliens are already here. NASA, the US and other governments already know it, and have had contact. Humans generally, are not quite ready for Alien contact.

post-92-1083972579.jpg

They are all member's of Tom Servo's Flat Earth Society

Dude, are you trying to start a flame war? I think that was uncalled for. :no: Even if Tom believes in the flat earth, respect his beliefs eh? You and doug asked for the same in another thread. do the same. :rolleyes: