problems when trying to view my network

do u use a firewall? if so.. which one? sorry if you have answered it.. i am at school and bored..

laterz ;)

Originally posted by Slacker

I changed the address on my DCHP server and it still diddint change anything. It is so wierd, I can see the shared folders on the other computer, but the shell freezes when I try accessing one of these shared folders.

I discovered another thing, if I disable my network connection and then re-enable it, I have no problem seeing any shared material on the network unless I let my computer sit idle for 30 min. The same thing happens with the other computer trying to see mine. Because I can see the contents of the other computer after disabling and enabeling the network connection I have concluded that I have all my permissions set correctly. As for user names and passwords, I don't believe that they are necessary since the shared folders are set so that everyone in the LAN can access them. The workgroup name is the same on both, and I have tried changing the name without success.

I don't think that the DCHP server is the problem, whenever I change anything on it it makes no difference, and I don't believe that setting a domain (which is an option only) would change anything...

Any other suggestions?

OK I've seen this happen on PCMCIA Cards for laptops cos of the power-save option, you don't have anything like that on yer NIC's? do you?

I have no firewall except for the built in one on my router whic hshould have no effect on my LAN. I konw about the XP firewall after I had problems with a previous network where when I connected to a college LAN with the XP firewall enabled the school president could not access the LAN at all with his OSX Mac. But I have no firewall now.

As for those two links above, the first one does not work. I followed the instructions of the second one to a 'T' and then decided to try all the suggestions on this network again to be saure that I wasent missing anyone's suggestion. I disabled my power saving features and made sure that guest had access to my folders. Still there is a no go for accessing shkared folders on my LAN.

I am really getting fustrated, are there any other suggestions? Please?

I just don't get it. I can clearly see all the computers on my LAN. I can see the individually shared folders on each computer. I just can't see the contents of these shared folders. This would lead me to believe that I simply have my permissions wrong. However for each of my shared folders I have given fill access to "everyone", "guest", "administrator" as well as all of the users, and computers on the LAN. So I can't understand what the problem might be.

I followed each of the links and articles given to a "t" no matter how tedious a step may have seemed. This has made no difference...

I konw that I have really been getting your attentition a lot, but are there any more ideas out there?

I have added all computer and user names. I added all of these users and computers to the "everyone" group. Still no go. I can't believe that I have to have a server in order to share files.

I did not really want to have to scan all information comming to and from my computer throuth the network when I try sharing files. I suppose that I could, but I don't have any experience in doing this.

I am debating reseting my router to the factory defaults and perhaps formatting the HD on one of my computers. I don't know if this will change anything, but resetting the router can't hurt, and my computer is sorta asking for a format.

I just don't get it...