• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Young Aussie drivers in NSW watch out

Jelly2003    2

Any drivers in NSW Australia who are on L or P plates better think before they have a drink, because as of the 5th of May the new blood Alcohol limit will be 0%.

It applies to anybody on:

* "L" Plates

* Red "P" Plates

* Green "P" Plates

I'm against this rule, because there are a number of issues that this creates.

1. The old limit was 0.02%, which means that one drink would put you over the limit anyways, so do we need to change it when one drink will already put you over the limit?

2. What if your on medication? Some medicines have Alcohol in them (which is sometimes labeled as "Ethanol"). Say your on a medication and it puts your blood Alcohol level to 0.005%, then you can be arrested, loose your licence, and you have to prove in court that you are on medication.

Not only is that a waste of time for the person who was caught, and wastes our court's time, but it is a waste of tax payer's money. Plus I can see a lot of poeple with casual positions loosing their jobs because their licence was taken, and they have to wait a month or two to prove that they are innocent.

3. Pretend you had a night out on Saturday night, but you get picked up with a level of 0.004% at 6pm on Sunday afternoon. Bang! there goes your licence for at least 6 months, and you have to do one of those drink driver courses. You could also possibly loose your job and a large chunk of your independence.

I'm 22 and on my full licence, so luckily this law doesn't apply to me. I'm still highly against it, because i know what cops are like. As of the 5th of May they will be out on the roads targeting everybody with a P plate. Whats worse is that they will do it on a Saturday and Sunday afternoon, when people have had their night out the night before.

I think the 0.02% limit was fair enough to begin with, perhaps they might tighten it to 0.015% or 0.01%, but 0% is stupid. Surely there woudlnt be hardly any negative effect on your driving at levels below 0.015%.

NetGX    0

Yeah I think this rule is terrible... Because at least at 0.02 there was a small margin for error even if you weren't drinking.. Now have anything alcoholic and you can be charged...

Even if you have like a piece of cake or eat something... there are lots of things that contain alcohol.. you will be fined, charged, lose you license or many other things..

This is a bad move

Fotix    0

And people interviewed on the local news shows thought my state's 0.08 BAC limit was rough when it was recently lowered. :ermm:

davemania    1
And people interviewed on the local news shows thought my state's 0.08 BAC limit was rough when it was recently lowered. :ermm:

This only applies to the learners and provisonal liscense holders. and I don't think most breathalzyers are sensitive enough to pick up anything below 0.01

Jelly2003    2
And people interviewed on the local news shows thought my state's 0.08 BAC limit was rough when it was recently lowered.  :ermm:

WOW!!!! 0.08% how expensive is real estate there?? ;) I think ive found my kinda place to live.

Nah, actually I'm not a heavy drinker, but I do enjoy drinking, as long as its not to excess. I like to avoid huge hang overs. I think that 0.08 is a bit too generous, because you can feel a diffenence in your mental state at 0.05%

The actual blood alchol limit in Australia (once you have your full licence) is 0.05%, which is think is fair, it allows you to enjoy 2 drinks in the first hour, then one every hour from then (of course 1 drink in the first hour, then 1 every hour if your female).

If your driving you shouldnt drink more then that anyways.

EDIT: Of course when I speak of "Drinks" I'm speaking of "standard drinks", your average beer with a 4.5% Alc Vol is approx 1.1 to 1.5 standard drinks per bottle. Which is why light beer is a good thing to have if your driving.

Radium    126

The only alcohol that you can drink/consume is ethanol. If the label says something else then you are screwed.

Chode    1

I'm a Young Aussie driver in NSW

My age is......[drumroll]....19

And I am a red P plater (P1)

I've always been of the opinion that if you're driving, you don't drink. Not even a "light", not "have one, wait an hour"....No drinks.

So this fits in with my mentality.

Hoorah.

darksoul    12

i know in america if you blow above the legal level you can request a blood test, which is more accurate and generally takes a few hours before they can get it all done. This gives you some time to lower your BAC into legal levels, granted this will only make a few hundreds of a percent difference, but that is enough if you just used breath freshener or drank more recently, which can both falsely increase your BAC.

El Bourricot    0

^^ that's cheap! But understandable. Well seeing as most road kills come from drinking, I can't help but agree with that law, sorry to the thread starter.

kennyout    4

seee i wish we never started that whole lower alchoal limit crap across the usa

it was just fine at .20

but then my state lowered it to .10, the to .08 and i think it might be lower now...

the problem is they say to save lives...while in actuallity it only lowered the chance of death from accidents by like 10-12 people....which is a total waste....cause now it means court systems are more overrun, and that its a waste of time...

also higher the blood alchoal level the higher the punishment here

oh i live in Indiana...

Jelly2003    2
^^ that's cheap! But understandable. Well seeing as most road kills come from drinking, I can't help but agree with that law, sorry to the thread starter.

Yea, but 0.02% is minimal, and really, shouldnt make any difference to your judgement. Your over the limit with one drink anyways, so currently you cant drive if your thinking of drinking. The 0.02% is a great safety buffer if your taking medicine, etc. Even 0.01% would be better then 0%, because it allows for certian situations.

In Aus, if you get caught DUI, you cant demand another test, I know this because my step dad got caught DUI, and he had only one light beer, but it was less then 10 minutes since he had that drink, so he blew a higher level then he actually had. If they had of tested him 10 (even 5) minutes later he would have been ok. The cops refused to re-test him, and he ended up going 6 months without a licence, when he technically wasnt DUI.

I am 100% against drinking and driving, and agree that alchol is a major contributor to road deaths. But 0.02% is almost nothing. Like I said, imagine if you were on medication and you had a BAC of 0.005% without knowing, technically they could arrest you for DUI, you would loose your licence and have to go through a whole heap of drama to get it back. If this happens to hundreds of people, its many hours of time wasted for the driver, the court system, and it wastes tax money on false DUI cases.

If you are ona "P" plate, and get breath tested, it doesnt matter what you say, they will assume that you were drinking, and will deal with you accordingly. Cops already target and catch "P" platers for stupid things, like its a sport, and I think doing this is just another excuse to cause more trouble for young people.

b3n    0

In the UK, the limit is set at 80 milligrams (mg) per 100 millilitres (ml) of blood.

i dont drive

but if i did i would never drink

i think the uk is a bit high

Radium    126

Maybe they are having other thoughts... if you think about the amount of alcohol that some people drink, maybe they want people to drink less in general and not only when driving.

-=SD=-    0

What are the different plates for, can anyone explain?