• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Panasonic Micro-HiFi SA-PM28

Zip    0

I bought myself one of these from empiredirect.co.uk for ?150 a while ago and am since still yet to be surprised by how much this unit has impressed me. The main thing about it is the sound quality. It has a two amp system giving a separate high and low freqency channel to each speaker (each speaker has 4 cables - two for each channel). This makes the sounds impressively real, finger-picking on guitar sounds like you have eric clapton in your bedroom. It is simply superb.

sc-pm28.jpg

anyways, on to the other features. This unit has:

? Pansonic Bi-AMP system giving 140W output (in a micro hifi, yes you heard right)

? 5CD changer with mp3/wma support (sounds just as good as through my pc, just takes a little longer to load than regular cd's.

? RDS FM tuner and AM tuner - hard to get good reception with supplied antenna but is crystal when you do get signal.

? Two way tape with auto side change (good when recording something onto tape so you get the ful 90mins without changing sides.

? Big LCD screen with plenty of room for data.

? Re-master function - this is supposed to recreate the freqencies lost in mp3/wma compression. It works best on mp3 but in my opinion it has never done anything but degrade the sound (tried with 64k to 192k mp3's)

Generally, this is a bargain micro hifi which looks good and sounds better. The sounds from this thing would only have been available on the best separate hifi systems. now its available in a ?150 system which takes up less space than a small tv.

i'd recommend it to anyone looking for a system, i have it in the lighter wood colour than the one pictured but i think the dark wood makes it stand out from the other wood effect systems.

i'(Y) gi(Y)thi(Y)Y)(Y)(Y)(Y)(Y) out of 5 even though it does have a few problems you can't argue at this price level.

Iain    0

Good review (Y)

Never really been keen on micro-hifis, just because I dont beleive they produce a very good sound. Of course, I'd love to be proved wrong.

kombolcha    11

i've always wanted to buy one, but never saw the point in them other than they look great when you have a computer that can play music and more.

Iain    0

That's all I use my stereo for Vice. I dont like PC speakers, so I use my stereo.

Zip    0

im the same as pulse, ive got this thing hooked up to my pc for the sound then the mp3 cd's for when my pc is off (mornings aka 6:30BC - 6.30AM Before Coffee) :D

and thanks for the confidence pulse, much appreciated.