Windows XP - Use NTFS or FAT32 ???

DjmUK

Yay my acronyms are correct New Technologies is correct, I honestly have to admit that it did sound strange:

Windows New Technologies Technologies, oh well as long as it's all sorted.

After reading all these posts in such a sort space of time, it's making me want to convert to NTFS (luckily PM7.0) can do just that quickly, I think I'll go convert now as I have a 15Gb / 30Gb / 20Gb HDD's. And it's safer in the long run :ninja:

Yoshi

Actually, NT originally stood for Northern Telecom, the company Microsoft licensed the technology from, and renamed it "New Technology" in its Windows iteration

DjmUK
Originally posted by PabUK  

Let us know how it goes Djm.

Well I just this second finished converting my laptop (20Gb) from FAT32 to NTFS, and do you realise how long it took...

a whole...

3 minutes (if that)..!

I think I'll go convert these 2 hard drives now :ninja:

P.S.

Better safe than sorry...hehehe

PabUK
Originally posted by Yoshi  

Actually, NT originally stood for Northern Telecom, the company Microsoft licensed the technology from, and renamed it "New Technology" in its Windows iteration

Do MS actually make ANYTHING themselves??

And can someone please tell me where to find these NTFS logfiles?

EmuZombie

And can someone please tell me where to find these NTFS logfiles?

(driveletter):System Volume Information

PabUK

Always wondered what was in there! :)

But how do I access it? Windows tells me access is denied.

freeza

if you allow hidden files and system files to be shown through folder options i think the log files are in the root directory under a folder called "system volume" but you cant access it due to security and your protection reasons..they dont want you messing around in there

Roger H.

I saw go for NTFS even though i'm on Fat32. The reason why I haven't done that yet is cuz i'm always formatting so i needed to boot from my hardrive to DOS to install and there's no DOS when you got NTFS. But now that's all gonna change.. I'm not gonna be upgrading or formatting since XP final is out now so i'll be switching to NTFS

freeza

im always formatting too...and imaging my windows partition and i dont have any idea if all that shortens the life of the HD or not but i format almost more than i bathe :

Mordor

Woah.....what did I start???

It's obvious now that everyone has read the statements and has seen that NTFS adds "enhancements and improvements" to WinXP that FAT32 could not provide. Based on this, I will undoubtedly convert to NTFS once I install WinXP in late Oct.

This one is directed at those of you who have already partitioned with NTFS: How do older games and applications work? Have you experienced any problems with them? (Doom - Quake - Paint Shop Pro, etc...)

I clearly remember when FAT32 made it's appearance I had some problems with some apps ( graphics apps in particular) until they fixed or sent out updated patches.

Are there certain types of programs which run crappy on NTFS as opposed to FAT or FAT32???

Mordor

PabUK

To answer your ever increasing set of questions Mordor :p , no, there is no problem running old games and apps on the NTFS system. At least I have never had a problem.

aco

I wonder who decides the prices of things like Windows XP? And what kind of stupid reasons do they come up with for it? Pretty much everyone agrees that it is well overpriced and if it was lower more people would buy which is just what MS want!

Maybe they have an internal MS lotto draw and add up all the numbers to come up with a price? :)

Jon

NTFS does add lots of enhancements, the only one really usefull in a home environment is, as already mentioned, its error recovery.

Stuff like disk quotas, indexing service, you'll not need that.

However, there is one slight downside.

The fact that you now, to secure your system fully, should really go through the drive and alter the file permissions for anything important, as the default is pretty dam encompassing.

File permissions are an absolute pain in the arse to sort out, which is why i've not bothered going to NTFS until XP arrived (no reason apart from consitancy with my job).

Depends what school of internet security you come from.

a)zonealarm. (aka kiddie school, dont know what your talking about) or

b)dont do stupid things like bind f+p sharing to a dun adapter, but almost certainly dont run a firewall, coz there is no need what so ever (AV does all you need re:trojans).

If your b i'd guess you've already made sure system folders acl's include only locally authenticated users, if youre a, you're prolly wondering wat all these new hdd property tab options are.

Jon

dacris2000

I find that XP starts up faster from NTFS than FAT32, for some odd unknown reason. Also, if you use O&O Defrag, it works MUCH faster on an NTFS drive.