The End Of the Oil Age?

All we need to do is take total control of the Middle-East.

Okay...you all think I'M INSANE!!!???

:D :D :D

All we need to do is take total control of the Middle-East. We can open convenience stores on every corner and charge $5.00 for a loaf of bread.

ha, taking over the middle east for oil would at best break even on the oil costs of taking over the midle east

when the us gov't insists that it isnt in the middle east just for the oil, theyre teling the truth. the're in there for even dumber reasons

they're just messing around because its a reason to use the military. its a way to distract from domestic problems in america, its a way to get reelected. "i'm in the middle of a war, you cant kick me out and put that sissy democrat in now". yeah, a war you lied to justify, and is now comming back to bite you in the arse

it would be cheaper to buy oil from other countries, or use their own, than to 'take over for oil'

theyre just being a douche

Yes they are. Stinkin' OPEC . . . :crazy: Gas is more expensive than MILK now.

thats OK, bottled water is still more expensive than gas.

1.  Worldwide oil production would plateau sometime around the year 2000.

2.  Within a few years of the plateau, the US would invade Iraq under false pretenses, depose Saddam, seize the oil fields, and set up an occupational government.

thats scary if that prediction really was made.

this whole thing is scary, but as long as halflife2 and longhorn are released before it then meh, screw it.

also, we can all blame nVidia for this because their dual molex 6800u uses up a lot of energy.

I think gas should cost $5 a gallon in the US.

Why should anyone conserve resources?

When gas is so cheap, no wonder every 'soccer mom' wants an SUV.

Where is the pressure to develop better fuel economy? The pressure for new technology?

There is no pressure. Just a massive consume mentality...

they should tax the hell out of all aspects of driving, and put that money towards more-than-adequate transit systems.

i really like London's ?5 toll on entering the downtown. there are reasonable alternatives to driving, and those who arent willing to leave their car at home should expect to pay more

they should tax the hell out of all aspects of driving, and put that money towards more-than-adequate transit systems.

i really like London's ?5 toll on entering the downtown. there are reasonable alternatives to driving, and those who arent willing to leave their car at home should expect to pay more

It may be true that there are reasonable alternatives do driving in the UK, but that is not true everywhere else. I live in the US and there are no local train or bus stops. That means I'd have to drive 30 miles the opposite way to the nearest station, and then get on a train to take me another 60 miles. It's not practical and would waste more time and money than it's worth.

------------------------

Anyway, population is a much bigger issue than oil. The theory is that this planet can only support somewhere between 8-12 billion people, depending on whose theory you read, and we are rapidly approaching that number. Current Population

Oil isn't the best fuel, but it's all we have now. Until somebody develops an alternative fuel that doesn't harm the environment we will continue to consume oil. But here are also potential environmental problems with alternative fuels too. Even hydrogen, which produces water as a byproduct, may upset the balance of the environment. There isn't enough information yet.

What do the theorists think will happen once we reach 8-12 billion people? And what if everyone loses weight? what does that do to the figures? or what if we jettison **** into space?

The key difference there is the shear amount of distances involved. England being a developed country (in world terms, a rich country) and being the size of an American State may have a lot to do with how well developed it's public transit infrastructure is, same can be said for most European Countries and Japan, for instance.

:rolleyes: They could make gasoline out of coal, right now, if they really needed too. Several hundred years of coal left. But no, it's not scarey to think of the end of the Oil Age. Cleaner hydrogen, electricity power is waiting in the wings ...

The technology is already in place and has been for god knows how long to either develop better fuel efficient cars or even to develop new types of fuel for cars, I mean if you really think about it if they can put MILLIONS UPON ILLIONS of Transistors on a wafer no bigger then my Thumb Nail you can't tell me that they can't make a better fuel efficient car that goes hundreds or thousands of miles to the gallon!, but these oil companies are shelling out BILLIONS of dollars to keep this technology silent or unaffordable for the mass market!

I think gas should cost $5 a gallon in the US.

Why should anyone conserve resources?

When gas is so cheap, no wonder every 'soccer mom' wants an SUV.

Where is the pressure to develop better fuel economy? The pressure for new technology?

There is no pressure. Just a massive consume mentality...

When I was travelling across the US last summer I was amazed at how many SUVs, Pickups, People Carriers and Hummer like vehicles I saw. I was driving up I5 in late August and I felt very small in my (compact?!?) Corolla I hired with all the "tanks" around ... no need for those huge things as many of them were only carrying one of two people inside.

I bet that the vast majority of them couldn?t hit even 20 mpg cruising. Here in the UK my 1400 cc car does on average 55-60 mpg and its plenty big enough and comfortable for the 200+ mile journeys I make fairly often.

I think that as smaller European cars become more popular over in the states, the tendency to buy such huge uneconomical cars will diminish.

-RandyC-

I think we should super-tax old people drivers, semi drivers, and teenage girls on cell phones. This would get them off the road cause gas is too expensive for them, as well as increase the supply for us!

Yay me!

I heard somewhere before that oil reserves could deplete completely around year 2050. I don't know if rumour comes true or not. But I believe earth has limited oil reserves and it has been consumed widely...particularly for vehicle fuel.

(This is about the previous posts arguing about God and the Bible)

This is to all gods believers, from all religions.

When stating something as a fact, it is to that person to prove it right. Not to others to prove it wrong. Religion fixed that problem with ?faith? and some measures to prevent deep questioning.

While I honestly respect believers of any religion, as long as their believes are not harmful to others, I want to say that quoting from ancient documents and religious texts to argue and prove one?s point cannot be taken seriously.

Having that said, I don?t believe it is excusable to mock someone for their believes, even if it seems ridiculous to you.

<my head hurts>

Sure, there is a "oil need" and a "production shortage" - but just like most stories...things get blown WAY out of purportion.

like global warming?

lol - oil didn't take billions of years to create. Either God created it when he created the earth, or since that time - only a few thousand years ago.

God will take care of us - and if inded it is to run us out of oil, so be it. I am not going to spend my life worrying about it, though.

you seem like a nice guy and all, but youre living in the clouds... you need to come down to earth here. you made another comment about bush being the right guy and kerry will mess things up... i cant stress it enough. it does NOT matter who you vote for... it does NOT matter who wins the presidency... it's already decided... and seriously, when it comes down to it, they all do the same stuff. they all have the same plan overall. voting means nothing. the US is NOT a pure democractic society.. it's an american democracy. people vote but it's worthless. it's all decided by corrupt higher officials. there is no way that bush should have won the election, but they made it happen. the FL ballot voting thing was a blatant fraud. again, the citizens votes didnt matter b/c gore still lost and should have won.

im glad youre not worrying about it... im not either but i still believe this stuff. you cant worry about it or you will have a nervous breakdown... the best thing to do is to educate yourself and be prepared. seriously man, im not slamming you here.. but come down to earth.. please. :unsure:

Me either. So what if we run out? We'll buy electric or hydrogen cars.

God shall not forsake his people. That's us, in case you didn't know.

you cant just "buy" electric or hydrogen cars... 1. theyre barely made right now, certainly not in huge amounts and 2. it takes all kinds of oil to make those cars anyway.. there is no solution. you cant just say "poof" and those cars exist for every citizen. plus... if the oil does run out and we have to buy these magical cars that appeared from no where... then the dealers, sellers will raise the price of them b/c of high demand. a $20,000 hydrogen car will easily skyrocket to double that just b/c they can. it's a never ending cycle of doom. again, from my post above... im not paranoid and scared. im being a smart, rational human here. this is a test for everybody's integrity. and you are right in saying God shall not foresake his people, i believe that too; however, this IS a test of our strength.

even if we stopped pumping oil right now, there are still enough reserves for another decade

yeah, but who says theyre going to use it. alaska supposedly has a huge oil field too... but we're not using it.... gas prices ARE skyrocketing...

I can't believe america has become like that !

i'm french ! and for me , usa always was the land of freedom and of rational thinking...

but since bush , usa citizens seem brainwashed with stupid religion beliefs about god and the bible ! it's like you did one step back with laws , liberties and such !!

usa is a land that "has it all" and no one stand up to preserve your rights , everybody agrees with the lies of a man who wasn't truely elected after all and now soldiers get killed for greedy companies....

after all , bush must be happy about 9/11 cause since that event he's got free hands to do whatever he wants , that's sick

oh and about this thread , who cares about oil since in 15 years or a little more , global warming will change earth's global weather , and this time this information comes from your governement , i think it's from CIA or something like that , but the report is weirdly still not available and they didn't mind talking about it..

seas will cover a great portion of lands and climates will change , it's gonna be hell on this planet...

don't get me wrong , i love usa , but i hate bush's administration , one has to do something before he gets reelected !! :no:

:punk: this is straight from the horses mouth, so to speak.... why the rest of the world hates americans and americans hate the rest of the world.

im american. i love this country but i HATE the naive, pompous people and the all-powerful govt. the citizens are pawns.

oh, and global warming is another farce.